Texans WR Nico Collins gets 3 year $72 Million extension

Posted (edited)

Nico Collins is, in my mind, sort of the best case scenario for what Keon Coleman could become.

He's 6'4" 215 lbs and offers uncommonly good RAC for a guy his size. 

Sound familiar?

Admittedly, Collins is faster with a 4.45 to Coleman's 4.61. Then again, Coleman is probably a bit better above-the-rim than Collins.

Collins got off to a modest start in the NFL with 446 and 481 yard outputs in his first two seasons while also struggling with injuries. Last season he had a true breakout with 1297 yards and 8 TDs in 15 games.

I don't know if Coleman's first couple seasons will be as modest as Collins' were, but I think it's reasonable to hope and expect that he can reach (or exceed) the production that Collins just posted in year three.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Seems like a reasonable compromise for Collins and the Texans: guaranteed, life changing money on one year of top production at a significant discount to the top of the market.

Should the Bills be doing the same thing with Spencer Brown?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Still don't understand why the Texans needed to bring a guy like Diggs in this offseason. Collins and Dell are beasts, then you have Schultz and Mixon. Are there enough balls to go around before Diggs starts pouting? Add in the fact that the Texans face a MUCH more challenging schedule this year, and I can see some of the good vibes from last year disappearing (though I do believe Ryans and Stroud are a stud combo).

Edited by buffblue
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Tortured Soul said:

Seems like a reasonable compromise for Collins and the Texans: guaranteed, life changing money on one year of top production at a significant discount to the top of the market.

Should the Bills be doing the same thing with Spencer Brown?

Yes I think they should, his price is only going up.

49 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Seems that Diggs is a one-year rental for the Texans given that he is a free agent after the season and the big contract agreed to with Collins.

Beane got a second round pick (Likely in the upper half of the round) and cleared the Bills cap issues starting in 2025 for a one year rental.  He got back the other two picks by moving around in this draft. Not bad.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

As a Michigan fan, I did not expect him to become such an impact player for this team. Good for him.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5517718/2024/05/28/nico-collins-contract-texans/

I follow Michigan too. I would have thought People-Jones and Ronnie Bell would have been better pro players than him. I guess that’s why I am not a GM!  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Diggs ain’t gonna be happy….again 

He's already skipping OTA's. He might go full Antonio Brown/Raiders now. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Dime a dozen...

Another clear sign the position is going the way of the running back.

Just forget this contract is almost $20M more than Derrick Henry’s career earnings.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Beane got a second round pick (Likely in the upper half of the round) and cleared the Bills cap issues starting in 2025 for a one year rental.  He got back the other two picks by moving around in this draft. Not bad.

That and $31 million

59 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Still don't understand why the Texans needed to bring a guy like Diggs in this offseason. Collins and Dell are beasts, then you have Schultz and Mixon. Are there enough balls to go around before Diggs starts pouting? Add in the fact that the Texans face a MUCH more challenging schedule this year, and I can see some of the good vibes from last year disappearing (though I do believe Ryans and Stroud are a stud combo).

Well, at the end of last season both Dell and Collins were hurt. Collins has a robust injury history. They're going all in trying to win this year, and they have as good a shot as anyone given how well they played last year and how young they are. Stroud has a chance to show the league he's a top 3 QB this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Like others have been saying on here... we need draft at least 1 WR and 1 RB every year and just have a cast of cheap help at those positions so you just keep refreshing those positions.

Spend the money at other spots that matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1