or

the guy became a total pain in the ass, so we traded him…,

🤣

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cliff notes version:

Cap hit for diggs was easier to get the hit in this year.

Josh is always doing things to get better and looking for the next big change to his game.

On the roster building.

You have to have a good feel for the players and how they are about the team and about the logo. No big egos

He admits to rookie mistake for Josh not to have a vet qb

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Why does Beane talk so much?  I dont see other GMs continually on so many media shows.

The Bills have been one of the top 3-5 teams in the league. National shows want him on their show. Beane is actually good at talking. 

He is definitely the most visible GM in the league the last couple years. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Bills have been one of the top 3-5 teams in the league. National shows want him on their show. Beane is actually good at talking. 

He is definitely the most visible GM in the league the last couple years. 

Beane’s media savvy is vital to attracting top value free agents.  

• Like (+1) 5

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so the Diggs dump is now simply "a prudent cap move"?

lol, nice try pal...

Exactly. It was a necessary move based on the circumstances. It certainly was not what the team envisioned happening when they traded for him and when they extended him. That extension remains the biggest mistake in all of this. You can’t fix issues like Diggs had with extra cash. And he is getting insane money for this season.

Between the extra money the Bills paid Diggs to extend him for three seasons and what Houston is paying him for this one season - he is making $43.1M for 2024. That’s so messed up that he can force his way out of here and cash in like that at the same time. 

Explanation of $43.1M figure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Great Interview. The guy from the Athletic seemed very knowledgeable and asked great questions. And Brandon was excellent as always, open and honest (as he can be), personable, etc. Despite his miscues (which they discuss briefly), there is no question in my mind that he is a top GM in the league and that we are lucky to have him.

In regards to Diggs, Brandon said "I'm not going to get into all of the reasons why..." (I assume meaning Stefon's play and/or disgruntlement) "So, I'll explain it from a cap perspective."

So, he wasn't blaming the cap for getting rid of Stefon, he was just explaining why they decided to eat the money this year. Basically, they knew they wanted to make that decision and then he is explaining how they thought about the money aspect of it (can we pull it off and eat the money this year? How will it affect the rest of the roster this year and next, etc.).

Loved the question about the difference between how the fans feel about particular players vs. how they are viewed in the building. He used Spencer Brown and Terrell Bernard as examples from last year. He brought up Connor McGovern moving to center this year

I think he also kind of feels that about the WR room this year. He thinks Claypool can play outside. Thinks Shakir and Samuel are almost position-less, so Brady can create different packages (even splitting Cook outside, or Samuel in the backfield, etc.) that when the offense comes to the huddle, the defense doesn't know who is playing what position, and he thinks with that and their versatility, Brady can create a lot of mismatches. Plus, Kincaid and Knox will be a big part of the passing game---referencing KC and Kelce---sounds like he does expect the offense to revolve around Kincaid as the #1 target.

Interesting that the only WRs he didn't mention (other than the UFAs) were Justin Shorter and Andy Isabella. After the top three guys (Shakir, Samuel, Coleman), sounds like he is high on Claypool and Hollins. Then MVS is in the mix. Hamler sounds like a long shot (and dependent on health)---but you can see his speed on the field. He just mentioned Shavers as another big body they have.

I also found it interesting when talking about letting players go and can the guy behind him step up (both their play and leadership-wise), he said:

"We think there are more guys in the wings, with the right opportunity, do they have to do it, do they have to prove it on the field like Terrell did a year ago? Yes. So, some of that can be a little uneasy for people, definitely for fans on the outside, but there can even be uneasiness in the building, like, maybe not everyone is sold on this player."

Again, I just like the honesty and kind of knowing that, as a whole, the FO/staff are never complacent and at least some people may be raising the same concerns as we fans have to discuss (not that the higher-ups---Brandon and Sean---haven't probably already thought of those concerns).

He wants to compete for a championship every year they have Josh. This is not a rebuild year and he never wants to have a rebuild year. It is a retooling and a youth movement and he still believes they can compete for the division and a championship this season.

Lots of good stuff.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 12

First of all, if you don't watch The Athletic Football show, you should.  Robert Mayes is an AWESOME host and that's my favorite podcast.

Second, one little thing I thought that was really interesting in that interview was the fact that the first time Beane started talking about the WRs, he mentioned Chase Claypool and didn't even bring up MVS or KJ Hamler or Mack Hollins until the 2nd or 3rd time he was naming names.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Taking the Diggs hit this year provides some flexibility for next offseason in terms of re-signing current players, free agency and further releases, such as Miller if he is not back to form.

As others have said...its a combo of 1.) he's become a PITA, 2.) he has either declining skills or has a declining roll in the offense 3.) Josh really doesn't care to use him all that much.  

Didn't Brady say today that the offense runs through whoever Josh wants it to run through (or something close to that?)  If Josh wanted Diggs here, I'm pretty sure he'd still be here.

6 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Beane’s media savvy is vital to attracting top value free agents.  

Can you expand on that assertion?  Why do you think this?  How does a GM's media savvy influence a FA's decision?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

First of all, if you don't watch The Athletic Football show, you should.  Robert Mayes is an AWESOME host and that's my favorite podcast.

Second, one little thing I thought that was really interesting in that interview was the fact that the first time Beane started talking about the WRs, he mentioned Chase Claypool and didn't even bring up MVS or KJ Hamler or Mack Hollins until the 2nd or 3rd time he was naming names.

If Chase behaves, I have a sneaky suspicion that he'll not only make the team but really contribute. 

• Like (+1) 6

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Chase behaves, I have a sneaky suspicion that he'll not only make the team but really contribute. 

Its possible but it kind of feels to me that the team has three name players who either wont make the team or will make the team but not be a factor at all.  Claypool, Collins and Miller.  

They will all get attention in camp and in the end will probably not be here or will not make any bit of difference.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.