OTAs 5/28

Posted (edited)

Updates from Matt Parrino:

1. Damar Hamlin made the play of the day during 11 on 11. Josh Allen was looking for Ty Johnson, who broke open and had no defenders around him when Allen looked to throw. That's when Hamlin exploded on the ball and stepped in front to pick it. Don't count out Hamlin just yet. I think he could easily make the team as the 4th or 5th safety.

2. I have major concerns already when it comes to La'el Collins. He had two reps on the day where he just got beaten badly by Kameron Cline. I get needing to shake off the rust but he looks slow and like it's hard to move. I'm going to be keeping an eye on him in camp but at this stage Ryan VanDemark is definitely ahead of his on the depth chart and maybe even Tommy Doyle could get in the mix.

3. Keon Coleman vs Kaiir Elam was fun to watch on the day. Coleman got two targets in 7v7 but couldn't come down with any because Elam was draped all over him.

4. Dion Dawkins had a great win vs Dawuane Smoot. The one piece of good news for the lack of edge depth is that what the Bills have will get good work against elite competition in Dawkins and Brown when he's healthy. You'll know what you have by the end of August.

5. Justin Shorter caught a couple of passes from Shane Buechelle and neither were particularly newsworthy. But the dude moves like a tank in the middle of the field. I think fans will have fun watching him this summer.

6. Get ready for the year of Greg Rousseau. He just looks different and I know it's only the spring. He is moving differently (finally healthy) and just seems more comfortable in his job than ever before. He had a great win/pressure and a pass breakup on an Allen pass over the middle.

7. Cole Bishop sighting on a Mitch Trubisky pass to Andy Isabella that went for 15 yards or so. Bishop was late to fire and Isabella had an easy sliding grab. Still seems like we're in learning phase with Bishop, who admitted the Bills play completely different style of defense than he did at Utah. That's OK too.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I've thought this is the problem. There have been times we punted or called weak plays instead of giving Bass a 50 yarder and that's gotta hurt your self-esteem and confidence as a kicker.

Especially when you see other guys kicking 60 yarders in the NFL. Bass seems like a cocky guy that feels he is just as good as any of them. 

• Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One more:

One more important observation. Jake Browning (UDFA punter out of San Diego State) was holding for Tyler Bass in the FG portion of practice today and Bass made all of his FGs (I believe it was 6 in total). One of them was from 70 yards out!! Nice moment for the rookie to get his chance and take advantage. I think the holding competition is as important as the punting. They want Bass to bounce back.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Especially when you see other guys kicking 60 yarders in the NFL. Bass seems like a cocky guy that feels he is just as good as any of them. 

As per Sal Cappacio on WGR, Bass kicked a 70 yarder in practice.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

totally unrelated question,

Read the story about Joe Andrreesen from Lancastet getting a hat on h the bills, story said he could be the second Lancaster Legend to lay in the NFL.  who was the first?

Gronk

• Like (+1) 2

Ideally you’d like to see Coleman dominate Elam, it’d suggest that our shiny new WR will likely be a problem for other corners as well, but maybe Elam’s game has taken a step forward? We’ll see how it plays out over the next couple months. We know no corner in camp could check Diggs and even Gabe Davis had tons of “he’s unguardable” notes.

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Ideally you’d like to see Coleman dominate Elam, it’d suggest that our shiny new WR will likely be a problem for other corners as well, but maybe Elam’s game has taken a step forward? We’ll see how it plays out over the next couple months. We know no corner in camp could check Diggs and even Gabe Davis had tons of “he’s unguardable” notes.

Coleman is a rookie in his for big boy OTA.  he will be ok.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Coleman is a rookie in his for big boy OTA.  he will be ok.

Yeah I’m not concerned after one practice, just made the comment that you would’ve liked to see him come out dominating (even if rare out of first round WRs). He has plenty of time to become the player he’ll ultimately be. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Yeah I’m not concerned after one practice, just made the comment that you would’ve liked to see him come out dominating (even if rare out of first round WRs). He has plenty of time to become the player he’ll ultimately be. 

Exactly. That’s the problem with everything that happens prior to real football games being played. If you hear in camp the defense is ahead of the offense, the offense sucks. If Elam can shut down our top draft pick, we lost the draft.

All this stuff goes back and forth, but wouldn’t it be great if Elam has figured out how to use his physical tools in our defense? That would be like found money to some degree. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Read the story about Joe Andrreesen from Lancastet getting a hat on h the bills, story said he could be the second Lancaster Legend to lay in the NFL.  who was the first?

Good question. The school's wiki page lists famous alumns, but no football players.

Alumni

Pat Dobson – baseball player[27]

Christopher A. Kojm – Deputy director of the 9/11 Commission; professor of international relations at George Washington University[28][29]

Jim McCloskey – baseball player[30]

Jack Philips – baseball player[31]

Mary Saxer – pole vaulter[32]

Ryan Vinz – Ice hockey goalie[33]

Angela Wozniak – New York State legislator[34]

Leugim Castillo – baseball player [35]

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Fay Abbott from the 1920s

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/high_schools.cgi?id=93b81ef1

Edited by LEBills
To avoid scarring Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Gronk

1 minute ago, Augie said:

To how many people does it occur that Peter Pan just may have gone to Lancaster High? 

This place has scarred me. 

Thanks.

i thought immediately about Gronk but doesn’t  the te? “baby  gronk” his cv brother count as playing in yhe NFL!

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So re: #3....

Our CB that can't seem to get on the field is blanketing out new WR that reportedly can't separate.

I try not to read much into OTA's but I'm going to take the positive route and hope that means Elam is gonna his his stride in year 3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.