what will be the Bills defensive identity?

appoo

This past off season, the bills lost 3 potential Wall level defenders.  They over turned a bunch of dline (though kept their starters there), and now have a new DC hired from within.   The season prior they let the QB of their defense leave in FA as they couldn’t afford to keep him.

For the past 4-5 seasons, the bills have had a reputation for a fundamentally sound, tough, but blue collar defense led by their safeties and a rotating cast of characters on the DLine.

What will the identity of the defense be this season? Aggressive? Sound? Playmaking? Who will be the leaders? 

I don't think that there's much noticeable change at all.  McDermott is still going to be the primary architect of our schemes and defensive playbook

The one thing that I'm hoping to see is more speed and play-making ability with the infusion of younger players

• Like (+1) 5

I am hoping the Bills can get to the QB more consistently with their front four especially against the top QB's. It's a big reason why the Giants were able to take down the evil empire on the biggest stage twice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Some else said that if we can play are normal 4 3 4 rotate in more blitzing from Bernard. He has a good feel for it.  Yes I know that it will open up things in the back end but live and die by the blitz.  It is better than 14 play drives where we just bend and don't break.

I hate seeing us get to 3rd down with no hopes of stopping thier o.

For me, I think this bills defense will center around their linebackers - Bernard and Milano. Less zone play, more man, more disguise, more blitzing, more asking them to be sideline to sideline playmakers. 

The secondary, I think, will be more safety first then ever. Just so little speed back there outside of Kair Elam, so it’ll have to be zone heavy. 

That also leads me to thinking the front 7 is gonna be the “identity” of the D.

Finally, I think Matt Milano is going to end up as the face of the defense this season. He was playing at an all-pro level before breaking his ankle, and now he gets a legit robin to his Robin in Bernard. Really excited to see the different things they’ll do

Interceptions and TFLs 

jmo, 

Creative blitzing and simulated blitzes. We don’t have DEs who can get to the QB quickly and efficiently on their own so we will have to scheme pressure like last season. Without Floyd it’ll be more difficult, but the Bills had excellent sack numbers last season despite the DEs (other than Floyd) not getting many. It’ll be an interesting defense to watch. 

Don’t know about the identity, but I expect there to be a striking increase in team speed. The defense looked noticeably old and slow last year. More than ever, this is a young man’s game particularly on defense. 

• Like (+1) 4

Defense - More reps for top pass rushers instead of a rotation and more blitzes from Milano and Bernard. Our safeties are less experienced in this system and if we don't get pressure, our secondary will get carved up.

Offense - More running, more play action, more 2 TE sets, more jump balls to the perimeter, more physical

Josh Allen won't play in an offense anchored around one double-teamed Diggs.

Teams won't double any Bills receiver. Josh Allen will have multiple receiving options to throw to each play--one will become open.

Kincaid will be even better. James Cook's running game will be stout.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I am hoping the Bills can get to the QB more consistently with their front four especially against the top QB's. It's a big reason why the Giants were able to take down the evil empire on the biggest stage twice.

I hope so too but unless Groot takes a major leap or Von turns back the clock, I don't see it happening. The only thing we have added to pass rush is a late round, situational pass rusher.  I think Epenesa is who he is and Oliver is close to his ceiling.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I hope so too but unless Groot takes a major leap or Von turns back the clock, I don't see it happening. The only thing we have added to pass rush is a late round, situational pass rusher.  I think Epenesa is who he is and Oliver is close to his ceiling.  

I agree with you. If this team ever wants to win a Super Bowl, then they are going to need a front four that can get after the QB. Players like Mahomes and Burrow will continue to be a problem if the Bills can't get after them with their front four. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Babich may be the DC, but McDermott will always control the schemes and pacing of our defense. Hopefully we blitz a little less. We stay healthy and have the stamina to make stops in the playoffs.  I'd almost be willing to load management selective players if it meant going into the playoffs healthy. 

45 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think we blitz Bernard and Milano a lot more this season 

10 minutes ago, benderbender said:

An established "identity" only helps the opposition game plan and poor writers come up with column fodder. 

bruce lee GIF

Guilty lol

3 hours ago, appoo said:

This past off season, the bills lost 3 potential Wall level defenders.  They over turned a bunch of dline (though kept their starters there), and now have a new DC hired from within.   The season prior they let the QB of their defense leave in FA as they couldn’t afford to keep him.

For the past 4-5 seasons, the bills have had a reputation for a fundamentally sound, tough, but blue collar defense led by their safeties and a rotating cast of characters on the DLine.

What will the identity of the defense be this season? Aggressive? Sound? Playmaking? Who will be the leaders? 

I just want to mention the obvious...  When I think of the leaders of this defense over the past few years, I first think of Matt Milano.  

As far as the identity - McD isn't going to change his scheme very much when it's mostly worked.  While it's broken down in the playoffs, I'm guessing that he doesn't see that as a schematic problem as much as a roster & injury problem.  So I think this will look a lot like previous years maybe with a few tweaks as he adapts to different personnel.    

McD philosophically prefers to pressure with the front four.  But if that doesn't work, he's not afraid to blitz.  So maybe we'll blitz more than what's been the norm.   

Overall, it'll be a solid, well-coaching defense with excellent teamwork.  But it won't be an elite, stifling D because there's just isn't enough individual talent.  

I wonder what wrinkles, if any, Bobby Babich will bring.  When I see him at pressers, he looks like he's in his late twenties, so I think he won't have much to offer.  But the guy is actually 40, with 18 years of coaching experience.  About half of his time in the NFL has been with McD so I think he's probably a McD protege & disciple.  It'll be good that the two will understand each other and work together well.  But I wonder how much he'll be able to challenge McD with divergent opinions?    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.