What to do with the post June $10 M that will be available

Magox

4 hours ago, Magox said:

As everyone knows, there will soon be $10M available because of the Tre White release.   What do you think the Bills should do with that money?

Personally for me and I know this won't be a popular take among the most ardent WR proponents, I believe this team is lacking depth at safety and CB.

I think the Bills should look to get another player that is borderline starting quality for both of those positions to compete for a starting spot or be in the every Sunday rotation.   I could see the Bills look to get another quality rotational DT but aside from that, I think the Bills are set to go into this next coming season.

Have a big party for all tbd members.

O and pay for our psls in the new stadium.

And buy sds and just jack a new 🚗 

We appear to be thin at cornerback. That's the position I could see bringing in depth at. Every other position I think we are covered depth wise, so unless they want to make a big swing for a receiver or pass rusher, I don't see them bringing in anyone of note. But you never know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Is he better or worse than Von Miller?  I mean right now, not some indeterminate point in the future when Von is fully healed

Is it better or worse than anyone else available is the question you should be asking. Von is on the roster on a reworked contract. That isn’t changing

Hughes was let go after a 2 sack season. Before that he had two consecutive 4.5 sack seasons. So over his last 3 years in Buffalo he had 11 sacks total. Yeah, he had 9 his first year with Houston, but he 1 sack in his last 8 games that year. So for the past  25 games he has had 4 sacks. Sorry I’m not rushing to sign him with that production 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But after taking in a WR the FO can restructure and play games with the cap.  For instance after having the funds to bring in Metcalf they could then restructure his contract to a cap hit to around $7M (see DHop 23 salary of $1.8M or Diggs cap hit in 2024 of $6M).

So in your example above, they restructure Josh, get the money to bring in Metcalf.  Immediately restructure Metcalf to around $7M cap hit and the Bills have $10M+ left ($10M Tre + $6M Josh + $2M to start - $7M Metcalf). 

You don't wait until the trade deadline, the number 1 seed is important.  Also if you wait you might not have the funds available for the initial surge needed to bring someone in.  For example you need around $15M to bring in an Aiyuk or Metcalf before you can restructure- as best as I can tell, those are the rules.

I just don't see the Bills who while they will "borrow from Peter to pay Paul" once in awhile (Von Miller and Floyd come to mind) tend to not want to jam themselves up long term. They dumped Diggs in large part to not have that big contract on the roster. I think that dumping significant draft capital while also adding in a heavily backloaded contract is not the best idea for the flexibility of the roster long term. 

The Bills may also not "need" a top flight WR and maybe will need an edge rusher or another defensive need. Maybe Claypool and Coleman are a good outside combo? If you wait to see how the first 4-6 weeks play out you have more of an assessment as to what the roster actually needs? If you go "all in" at WR but then it turns out to be less of a need then you have less flexibility to address a defensive need that you may actually need more? 

The Bills front office under McBeane tends to do more "prudent" things more often than not. Waiting until the trade deadline seems like it could be more advantageous. 

Edited by billsfan89

DE or depth CB are the only things that I think meaningfully help us here. We're currently on pace to lose the sack production that Floyd generated with no real replacement, and if either Douglas or Benford miss a snap, the dropoff will be significant if Elam hasn't improved.

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But after taking in a WR the FO can restructure and play games with the cap.  For instance after having the funds to bring in Metcalf they could then restructure his contract to a cap hit to around $7M (see DHop 23 salary of $1.8M or Diggs cap hit in 2024 of $6M).

So in your example above, they restructure Josh, get the money to bring in Metcalf.  Immediately restructure Metcalf to around $7M cap hit and the Bills have $10M+ left ($10M Tre + $6M Josh + $2M to start - $7M Metcalf). 

You don't wait until the trade deadline, the number 1 seed is important.  Also if you wait you might not have the funds available for the initial surge needed to bring someone in.  For example you need around $15M to bring in an Aiyuk or Metcalf before you can restructure- as best as I can tell, those are the rules.

I love your enthusiasm but I just don't see it. At all. We brought in Samuel and MVS and Hollins. We have Shakir and two great TE's. Our RB room has weapons. I can't see them bringing in another WR to add to the pile. Just not happening. With Josh and the list I listed, we have weapons enough to score 20ish every game. What we need is a D that finally stop the other good teams.

Remember the Giants and Broncos games last season???? With a D we win both those easily. We lost one and barely held on vs the Giants. Our D is the issue. Chiefs walked it down our throats... thank goodness Josh and the boys could score at will too.

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

With permission, the restructure can be agreed to before the trade and made to go into effect at the same time the trade is official. It's generally what's happening when teams allow a player to "seek a trade." They're allowing the player to work out a new deal with a team before the trade is agreed to.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

We seem to have polar opposite views.  From my angle your view looks defeatist.  Beane has successfully lowered your expectations to the bare minimum, you are prepared for the worst.

For me an additional WR (like Metcalf) along with another safety, (I would say Hyde over Simmons at this point because the point is to develop Bishop.) and the Bills have a contender.  I don't know what can be done about DE but one deficiency can be worked around.

Defeatest?  Far from it.  My point of view is that this is proper team management.  Instead of paying for assets we may not need putting us back in cap hell, I think our team is ready to compete for championship as is because I have faith in Beane and his management team’s ability to draft guys who can contribute immediately.  Last season we had 6 1st and 2nd year players (Cook, Benford, Benard, Kincaid, Shakir and Torrance) become starters and quickly develop into core players.  We also had other kids, like Williams, step up when needed.  

Beane is finally investing real draft capital in skill players like Cook, Kincaid, Coleman and Bishop and the first thing you want to do is bring in outside players to keep some of them from playing.  How does that make any sense? This team could have as many as 3 starter from this draft this season (Coleman, Bishop and SVP) and 2-3 (or more) immediate contributors in Carter, Davis and Hardy (KR).  This team has needed to get younger and cheaper for the last few years and it’s finally happening.  If these players develop as I (and Beane and many others hope), we’ll finally go from SB contender to SP participant.

The beauty of my plan, is that it’s flexible. One of the kids doesn’t work out yet or we hsve another major injury, Beane will have a war chest so the we can overcome the loss of White or Milano or Jones.  Spend all your cap on Metcalf, what do you left when the inevitable injuries occur? 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

With permission, the restructure can be agreed to before the trade and made to go into effect at the same time the trade is official. It's generally what's happening when teams allow a player to "seek a trade." They're allowing the player to work out a new deal with a team before the trade is agreed to.

Right, they would have something worked out pre-trade.  Certainly there would be a large guarantee and a signing bonus.  The whole thing would be well orchestrated in advance of the trade.

It's having the money to handle the initial transfer that makes the June 1st date with the Tre money relevant.  And they may need to do it while they have the full pot of the money available.

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It all comes down to who’s available. It’s not like the possibilities are infinite. If the free agent cupboard is bare….do nothing. 

So true, by now there's not much left. A way you can make your safeties and cb's better is put more pressure on the qbs. Maybe the cupboard is empty on remaining pass rushers, but I know our current top 3 guys may not cut it?  Would I like (not love) Aiyuk on a reasonable deal...yes. But I just feel we're done dealing. We're going to roll with this group and pray guys like Solomon,  Coleman maybe Claypool step up.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm expecting the trade for a WR.  I'm rooting for Metcalf.  Then the restructure of the new WR contract to around a $5M cap hit for 2024.  The remaining $5M is for things as Barley mentioned.  But Barley forgot about the secret double dip Josh restructure.

So I think there would be enough to bring back Hyde.  Hyde would be coming back fully realizing his role is to bring Bishop into a gamer.  Hyde would be a great locker room presence, developer, and then insurance.  Hyde would know and accept his role.  Couple spare million on your way to retirement never hurts.

I mean Beane has already flat out said he isn't trading for a WR, so not sure why you still "expect" it rather than more just "wish" for it.  He even mocked the WR obsessed crowd in a recent interview saying "You know its legal for the TE's to catch passes too right".  So I am not sure why anyone would be "expecting" it at this point...sure anything is possible, but to "expect" something that really seems unlikely at this stage is just an odd stance to me.  

We drafted our WR1 in Keon, everyone on the team from Allen, McD, Beane, to guys not officially with the team like Palmer, Moulds, etc have all raved about about Shakir, and we signed Samuel to a 3 year deal to go along with Kincaid who had 81 receptions as a rookie despite the fact there was a WR on this team who saw 160 targets.   The real questions are the battles behind Keon, Shakir, and Samuel.  Both Hollins and Chase getting high early praise, and MVS brings speed and championship experience...so will be fun watching this battle in camp, especially Chase who has the talent to start on the boundary opposite of Keon if he gets his career (and head) back on track.  

While Chase is saying and doing all the right things now, its still very early and we need to see how he handles having to grind and work his way both onto the roster and into a role as camp and preseason go on.  Will he carry the same positive attitude and work ethic if he isn't moving up the depth chart fast enough is a real question for him.  But if he does, man this offense could be wild with big guys like Keon and Chase on the outside, and Shakir, Samuel, and Kincaid just battering and attacking in between.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean Beane has already flat out said he isn't trading for a WR, so not sure why you still "expect" it rather than more just "wish" for it.  He even mocked the WR obsessed crowd in a recent interview saying "You know its legal for the TE's to catch passes too right".  So I am not sure why anyone would be "expecting" it at this point...sure anything is possible, but to "expect" something that really seems unlikely at this stage is just an odd stance to me.  

We drafted our WR1 in Keon, everyone on the team from Allen, McD, Beane, to guys not officially with the team like Palmer, Moulds, etc have all raved about about Shakir, and we signed Samuel to a 3 year deal to go along with Kincaid who had 81 receptions as a rookie despite the fact there was a WR on this team who saw 160 targets.   The real questions are the battles behind Keon, Shakir, and Samuel.  Both Hollins and Chase getting high early praise, and MVS brings speed and championship experience...so will be fun watching this battle in camp, especially Chase who has the talent to start on the boundary opposite of Keon if he gets his career (and head) back on track.  

While Chase is saying and doing all the right things now, its still very early and we need to see how he handles having to grind and work his way both onto the roster and into a role as camp and preseason go on.  Will he carry the same positive attitude and work ethic if he isn't moving up the depth chart fast enough is a real question for him.  But if he does, man this offense could be wild with big guys like Keon and Chase on the outside, and Shakir, Samuel, and Kincaid just battering and attacking in between.  

I don't listen intently to Beane, he says a lot of things and people may need to give him a break.  Will you really say he was lying if the Bills trade for a WR?  No, you will go back and look at everything he said from a different angle and realize there was more than one way to look at it.  Just like many did when they surprisingly brought in Von or surprisingly let Diggs go.

Keon is not intended to be the Bills WR1 in his rookie year - that's crazy talk.  They traded down twice before taking him for Pete's sake.  A much better plan would be for Keon to split time with C Samuel and eventually take the role over - opposite a top tier WR.

Reasons I now expect a trade for a WR are the following:

1.  I was of the opinion for several months of this "Beane is a great GM, a great GM would never have their top WR be C Samuel during a year in Josh's prime".  With that in mind I was rooting against trading up for one of the big three in the draft,

2.  No large FA WR acquisition - I didn't want one of the more expensive mediocre FA WRs, keeping in mind number 1 above of course.

3.  Only took one WR in the loaded class.  I was hoping for just one, keeps a spot open without infringing on Shakir development.  The one taken (Coleman) was never intended to be Diggs replacement - see above, he is taking the G Davis role over with C Samuel.  Once again this is great in conjunction with number 1 above - otherwise what are they doing?

4.  Beane let Diggs go - I feel he did so with a plan in place, he wasn't goaded into it.  No GM's plan is to replace Diggs with C Samuel and a rookie.

5.  Josh restructure and Tre money, gives available funding for just such a move.  We all somewhat guess on the specifics but I trust Beane knows the details.

6.  Draft capital - extra 2nd and extra 4th

7.  Incredibly young, inexpensive, and cap friendly offensive playmakers for 2024 + 2025.  No more money needed on O for a couple of years.  People say we would be cramped capwise - who cares everyone on offense is accounted for through 2025.

8.  Recent strategy has been go cheap in RB room for investment in WR1.  They continued to go even cheaper in RB room with Davis as RB2.  The strategy was solid and there should be no regrets so far.  The idea that the Bills will adopt a new strategy and go with JAGs at RB and WR blows me away.

9.  Took K Coleman over McConkey - if they needed/wanted pro-ready McConkey seemed like the choice.

10.  Without a WR1 the need will be there again next year.  Prices are headed up, J Jeff and J Chase coming up.  Do it now and save.

Mainly the reason I expect it though, is all these moves are what I would have done, and I would be bringing in a trade for a top tier WR.  All these moves I was rejoicing in would have to be re-evaluated.  Without the trade for a WR it looks like a litany of errors out of Beane, not what I would expect.

I understand I'm in the minority.  But "literally 0% chance" is a little harsh.

• Like (+1) 1

Sign Hyde back for a vet minimum deal, save the rest for when an impact player suddenly becomes available via trade, EDGE and WR are strong candidates. 

I said this in another thread but in case Beane missed it.  I'd be all in on trying to acquire Aiyuk and giving him the St. Brown contract he's asking for with minor adjustments to fit him under the salary cap this season.  Imagine having Aiyuk, Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook for at least the next two to three years.  SIGN ME UP!!!  Nobody could accuse Beane of not maximizing Josh's prime years then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So true, by now there's not much left. A way you can make your safeties and cb's better is put more pressure on the qbs. Maybe the cupboard is empty on remaining pass rushers, but I know our current top 3 guys may not cut it?  Would I like (not love) Aiyuk on a reasonable deal...yes. But I just feel we're done dealing. We're going to roll with this group and pray guys like Solomon,  Coleman maybe Claypool step up.

I’m far from a salary cap expert but I’d imagine that teams have learned to save some room for mid-season signings. They have no idea who’s going to be injured in a seventeen game season. 

I don't think we can restructure Allen (or any other player) more than once during an offseason, so I don't think additional amounts from a further Allen restructure will be available.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.