What to do with the post June $10 M that will be available

Magox

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

It's going to pay the draft class.

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but yes, he will need $3m to $4m to pay the draft class.  He will also need to save $2m to $3m for contingencies during the season.  So, half that $11.1 m is already spoken for.  Enough for a moderate move or two, but not a gold mine.  

Edited by FLFan

52 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but yes, he will need $3m to $4m to pay the draft class.  He will also need to save $2m to $3m for contingencies during the season.  So, half that $11.1 m is already spoken for.  Enough for a moderate move or two, but not a goldmine.  

There are no gold mines available 

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but yes, he will need $3m to $4m to pay the draft class.  He will also need to save $2m to $3m for contingencies during the season.  So, half that $11.1 m is already spoken for.  Enough for a moderate move or two, but not a goldmine.  

Also have to pay for the Practice Squad for the year.

• Agree 1

On 5/28/2024 at 9:06 AM, GASabresIUFan said:

What happened to Cam Lewis (cb/s) and rookie Hardy? Both are making the team.  

The best thing the Bills can do is nothing  with the extra cap.  Because of the youth transition on the roster many positions still look like they need help.  If the kids step up, like Elam at CB or Bishop at S, then the issue goes away.  If they don’t or significant injuries occur, Beane will have a war chest to fix the problem like he did with Douglas last year.  This is one of those times to be patient.  

Disagree.  Lewis and Hardy.  They both need to show something real solid to make the team.  Maybe they will.  But neither is a sure thing.  Same w Elam.  We have the extra cap space we should use it on another veteran DB and/or DL.  The more good players we have the better.  

• Disagree 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:32 PM, HappyDays said:

The other perspective is that it's malpractice to elevate Shakir above the low-target role that his skill set probably deserves. Malpractice not just for the offense but for Shakir himself by laying bigger expectations on him than he can likely deliver.

In fact that is verbatim what happened with Gabe Davis. If he had remained the WR4 for his entire stint here I bet he would have gotten $18M per year this offseason. Some team would see what he did in that role and convince themselves he would explode in a more featured role, as most fans and analysts predicted after his divisional round performance. Instead we elevated his role which laid his faults out bare for everyone to see, and as a result he ended up getting Darnell Mooney money instead of Christian Kirk money.

Giving players the right amount of opportunity for their skill set is best for 

On 5/31/2024 at 10:55 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

They aren't going to roster 12 defensive backs on the 53.   They have 10 now that all project to play roles on defense and/or special teams.   And there will always be a version of Josh Norman kicking around on a practice squad somewhere to be an emergency boundary CB.   They don't lack depth.   Look at every other teams depth chart.   They all have an Ingram or Hamlin type in their top 10.   What the Bills lack are high end starters at safety.    If they had prime Poyer and Hyde I doubt you'd be worried about Hamilin and Cam Lewis as the reserves.   But the reality is that Edwards and Rapp were both starting safeties on SB winning teams in the very recent past.   It's likely that they are "good enough".

You really think Hamlin has a place on any NFL team?  His skill

set is terrible.  He doesn’t move tackle or defend the pass well.  And isn’t big or fast.  It’s nice that he is still alive and he seems like a good guy.  But not so much an NFL football player.  We can use another solid top 8 DB in the weekly mix.  

Posted (edited)

OT and 1-Tech depth. I'm not sure if we are going to get a big year from Von either. I wouldn't mind more competition at CB and both Rapp and Edwards are average NFL safeties. Bishop is a rookie as is Coleman. I'm not saying our rookies aren't going to be good, but how soon? I guess we'll see how things progress this Summer. Injury (Knock on wood) may force our hand. Our defense has been decimated by injuries lately. I'm of the opinion that we could have won the SB had Von, Milano and White been 100% or close to it. 3 points we got bounced by. Those 3 could easily made that difference and more. I guess what I really want is a difference maker rather than several depth caliber guys.

Edited by GreggTX

I really think the smart move here is nothing/minimal if anything.  You need money for draft picks (couple million-ish), practice squad (a few million) and in season injury replacements (4-6 million).   That takes up the June 1 windfall....now they can restructure people still to create money when they need it, so they could just spend it.   If you add someone, you are bumping someone off the raft.  At t his point I see a reasonable 53 with some questsions.  There will be TC cuts, in season moves etc.....so lets not let it burn a hole in our pocket....

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Those guys don't count against the salary cap -- just the top 51 salaries on the roster count against the cap.

WRONG.  Every year we go through this.  Google it and he will see they do count.

The Top 51 is only before the season starts.

Stephon Gilmore
Adoree Jackson
Xavien Howard
Steven Nelson
J.C. Jackson

Carl Lawson

Emmanuel Ogbah

Tyus Bowser

Yannick Ngakoue

Calais Campbell

Justin Simmons
Quandre Diggs
Micah Hyde
Jamal Adams
Eddie Jackson

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Stephon Gilmore
Adoree Jackson
Xavien Howard
Steven Nelson
J.C. Jackson

Carl Lawson

Emmanuel Ogbah

Tyus Bowser

Yannick Ngakoue

Calais Campbell

Justin Simmons
Quandre Diggs
Micah Hyde
Jamal Adams
Eddie Jackson

Players I could see the Bills having interest in.  But, I don't expect anything 

On 6/2/2024 at 12:32 PM, njbuff said:

If it's me.....

Sign Justin Simmons, have enough money for draft picks and release Damar. 

Hamlins been having a great camp we are told. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Roll it over to next year and make a play for DK Metcalf.

Don't wait - a 1st and 4th for Metcalf.  Bring in his $13M salary and immediately restructure to a $6M cap hit.  Leaves about $7M for the season. 

Bring back Hyde in a low cost vet/coach role to bring our new safeties up to speed.

Back to contender status!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.