Magox

51 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

One or two of the following:

Jerry Hughes

Daryl Worley

Justin Simmons

Ahkello Witherspoon

Quandre Diggs

Lol, is Hughes in play?  I'd take him back in a heartbeat.  Never should have let him walk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Bills will on June 1st have 12.7 million in cap space. But functionally they won't actually have 12.7 million to go out and spend. You have to factor in the following for the Bills cap. 

1. Rookie pool - Rookies haven't been officially inked that's going to cost the Bills about 2 million.
  2. Practice Squad- Yes the PS counts against the Cap you gotta reserve about 4 million for that. 
  3. In season emergencies - Most teams reserve about 3 million for in season emergencies Bills usually go in at that range. 

So the Bills actual functional salary cap space after adding in those 3 costs is going to be at about 3.7 million. The Bills will have about 3.7 million in space to actually play with after setting aside rookie/PS/Emergency money. Which is a solid amount of space to work with. 

Now if the Bills really want more cap space for some big trade they can open up a bit more space than the 3.7ish million they are likely to have. The following restructures are on the table. 

1. Josh Allen - Convert the remaining amount of his current year and the Bills can open up 6 million in additional space.
  2. Ed Oliver - The Bills can convert the remainder of his base to a bonus and open up 1.3 million in space.
  3. Von Miller - He has a very small base salary that can be converted over and saves 1.2 million in space. 
  4. Matt Milano - Converting his base salary to a bonus can open up about 2.1 million in space. 

That's about 10.6 million in space that is available to the Bills. However, I think the Bills will for sure not want to convert Von or Milano both are older and coming off injuries. I do think they would if the right trade is there they will consider doing Josh and Ed's deals to open up about 7.3 million in additional space if something "too good to be true" is out there or the team is just desperate. 

I think the Bills aren't likely to go out there on the vet free agent market. They signed a lot of vets like Smoot and MVS already later in free agency and if the Bills need a big time DL or WR addition their current workable space of 3.7 million will go farther at the trade deadline. So I think their best "bang for their buck" is going to be at the trade deadline where they can take on bigger contracts for less money. 

TLDR: Bills after Tre's money hits will have about 3.7 million to actually work with once you take into account signing rookies, practice squad and a 3 million dollar reserve for emergencies. They can convert some other contracts to open up more space but that's unlikely but an option they can do. Most likely the Bills will just hold onto the money and see what is there at the trade deadline. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He had 3 sacks last year and will be 36 when the season starts. 

Crazy as in 2022 he had 9 sacks at age 34. I do wonder how many snaps he played last year and if that impacted his sack total? I wouldn't mind bringing in Hughes as a camp body to take a vet PS spot but I have to think Hughes is going to wait until in season to sign with a team if he is interested in playing. Less wear and tear on his body to come in and skip camp and the first 6ish weeks of the regular season. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

One or two of the following:

Jerry Hughes

Daryl Worley

Justin Simmons

Ahkello Witherspoon

Quandre Diggs

unless the temperature of the water change, Hughes isn't coming back.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

What happened to Cam Lewis (cb/s) and rookie Hardy? Both are making the team.  

The best thing the Bills can do is nothing  with the extra cap.  Because of the youth transition on the roster many positions still look like they need help.  If the kids step up, like Elam at CB or Bishop at S, then the issue goes away.  If they don’t or significant injuries occur, Beane will have a war chest to fix the problem like he did with Douglas last year.  This is one of those times to be patient.  

THIS.

This guy gets it.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont think anything big happens.  Money used for rookies and operational budget for the season with mid season signings and ps call ups.  If a move is made I think it’s after TC and probably mid season if the plan on offense has not worked.  

I'm expecting the trade for a WR.  I'm rooting for Metcalf.  Then the restructure of the new WR contract to around a $5M cap hit for 2024.  The remaining $5M is for things as Barley mentioned.  But Barley forgot about the secret double dip Josh restructure.

So I think there would be enough to bring back Hyde.  Hyde would be coming back fully realizing his role is to bring Bishop into a gamer.  Hyde would be a great locker room presence, developer, and then insurance.  Hyde would know and accept his role.  Couple spare million on your way to retirement never hurts.

• Disagree 1

Sign draft picks and keep the rest in the bank for in-season moves. We only have like $2M in room right now. We're not trading for anyone of importance. What you see is what you get at this point. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The best thing the Bills can do is nothing  with the extra cap.  Because of the youth transition on the roster many positions still look like they need help.  If the kids step up, like Elam at CB or Bishop at S, then the issue goes away.  If they don’t or significant injuries occur, Beane will have a war chest to fix the problem like he did with Douglas last year.  This is one of those times to be patient.  

We seem to have polar opposite views.  From my angle your view looks defeatist.  Beane has successfully lowered your expectations to the bare minimum, you are prepared for the worst.

For me an additional WR (like Metcalf) along with another safety, (I would say Hyde over Simmons at this point because the point is to develop Bishop.) and the Bills have a contender.  I don't know what can be done about DE but one deficiency can be worked around.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills will on June 1st have 12.7 million in cap space. But functionally they won't actually have 12.7 million to go out and spend. You have to factor in the following for the Bills cap. 

1. Rookie pool - Rookies haven't been officially inked that's going to cost the Bills about 2 million.
  2. Practice Squad- Yes the PS counts against the Cap you gotta reserve about 4 million for that. 
  3. In season emergencies - Most teams reserve about 3 million for in season emergencies Bills usually go in at that range. 

So the Bills actual functional salary cap space after adding in those 3 costs is going to be at about 3.7 million. The Bills will have about 3.7 million in space to actually play with after setting aside rookie/PS/Emergency money. Which is a solid amount of space to work with. 

Now if the Bills really want more cap space for some big trade they can open up a bit more space than the 3.7ish million they are likely to have. The following restructures are on the table. 

1. Josh Allen - Convert the remaining amount of his current year and the Bills can open up 6 million in additional space.
  2. Ed Oliver - The Bills can convert the remainder of his base to a bonus and open up 1.3 million in space.
  3. Von Miller - He has a very small base salary that can be converted over and saves 1.2 million in space. 
  4. Matt Milano - Converting his base salary to a bonus can open up about 2.1 million in space. 

That's about 10.6 million in space that is available to the Bills. However, I think the Bills will for sure not want to convert Von or Milano both are older and coming off injuries. I do think they would if the right trade is there they will consider doing Josh and Ed's deals to open up about 7.3 million in additional space if something "too good to be true" is out there or the team is just desperate. 

I think the Bills aren't likely to go out there on the vet free agent market. They signed a lot of vets like Smoot and MVS already later in free agency and if the Bills need a big time DL or WR addition their current workable space of 3.7 million will go farther at the trade deadline. So I think their best "bang for their buck" is going to be at the trade deadline where they can take on bigger contracts for less money. 

TLDR: Bills after Tre's money hits will have about 3.7 million to actually work with once you take into account signing rookies, practice squad and a 3 million dollar reserve for emergencies. They can convert some other contracts to open up more space but that's unlikely but an option they can do. Most likely the Bills will just hold onto the money and see what is there at the trade deadline. 

Well done.  Also, when Tre moves off the roster he will need to be replaced in the Top 51.  That will cost another $1M.

50 minutes ago, H2o said:

Sign draft picks and keep the rest in the bank for in-season moves. We only have like $2M in room right now. We're not trading for anyone of importance. What you see is what you get at this point. 

The Bills can convert Josh's contract and save 6 million but the "Big moves" are not going to be easy to make. The Bills likely are going to make any significant trades or additions at the trade deadline. They can see what they have over the first 7ish games of the season and even if they just have about 3 million in space that is a lot more effective at the deadline than it is before the season starts. 

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

Lol, is Hughes in play?  I'd take him back in a heartbeat.  Never should have let him walk.

2022 started 16 games, played in 17. Had 9 sacks, 2 FF, and 10 QB hits

2023 started 2 games, played in 17. 3 sacks, 1 FF, and had 3 QB hits.

Sharp decline in playing time and stats. Anyone know how last year went for him beyond the statline?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Magox said:

As everyone knows, there will soon be $10M available because of the Tre White release.   What do you think the Bills should do with that money?

Personally for me and I know this won't be a popular take among the most ardent WR proponents, I believe this team is lacking depth at safety and CB.

I think the Bills should look to get another player that is borderline starting quality for both of those positions to compete for a starting spot or be in the every Sunday rotation.   I could see the Bills look to get another quality rotational DT but aside from that, I think the Bills are set to go into this next coming season.

I agree on Safety and Cornerback, and don't worry about the WR crowd...they will soon realize there is no major WR moves coming.  

In regards to Safety specifically, I think the fact both Beane and McD have made it clear Hyde has a roster spot this year if he decides to play again probably indicates at least a move at Safety is coming at some point...either Hyde if he comes back or someone else if he decides not to.  

So, I think part of this money is currently reserved and set aside for Hyde on an already agreed upon deal between both parties and the decision is on Hyde on whether or not he wants to play one more season.  Hyde has made it clear he would ONLY play this year for the Bills, and that appears to be a 100% medical decision for Hyde who seems to "want" to play another season, but is weighing the risks with his neck and stuff.  

And based on the fact that both McD and Beane have basically said if Hyde wants to play again this year he is welcomed addition to the team tells me they are not worried about agreeing to a deal or cap space if Hyde does play again, which is why I feel pretty confident that the two sides have already confirmed terms and that money is being reserved until Hyde makes an official decision and probably given him some deadline for that decision in terms of reserving the cap space for it.  

If Hyde doesn't come back, then there is probably a strong chance they look to add someone else who is available given they seem already willing to add Hyde.  

At cornerback, I do think its possible, might even say probable, they add someone as well as we seem pretty thin behind Rasul, Benford, and Elam.  But I will say this, this regime has run thin in the past at CB too, so if they think Cam Lewis and some of the young guys are showing enough, maybe they won't.  But the group feels pretty thin outside the top 3.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

We seem to have polar opposite views.  From my angle your view looks defeatist.  Beane has successfully lowered your expectations to the bare minimum, you are prepared for the worst.

For me an additional WR (like Metcalf) along with another safety, (I would say Hyde over Simmons at this point because the point is to develop Bishop.) and the Bills have a contender.  I don't know what can be done about DE but one deficiency can be worked around.

I don't think the do-nothing camp looks defeatist at all.  While I don't necessarily agree, I think they're just being prudent.

I suppose it partly depends on how you evaluate the current squad and whether or not it has glaring needs.  Apparently, you see WR as a glaring need.  Orlovsky and others seem to think differently.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

But after taking in a WR the FO can restructure and play games with the cap.  For instance after having the funds to bring in Metcalf they could then restructure his contract to a cap hit to around $7M (see DHop 23 salary of $1.8M or Diggs cap hit in 2024 of $6M).

So in your example above, they restructure Josh, get the money to bring in Metcalf.  Immediately restructure Metcalf to around $7M cap hit and the Bills have $10M+ left ($10M Tre + $6M Josh + $2M to start - $7M Metcalf). 

You don't wait until the trade deadline, the number 1 seed is important.  Also if you wait you might not have the funds available for the initial surge needed to bring someone in.  For example you need around $15M to bring in an Aiyuk or Metcalf before you can restructure- as best as I can tell, those are the rules.

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He had 3 sacks last year and will be 36 when the season starts. 

Is he better or worse than Von Miller?  I mean right now, not some indeterminate point in the future when Von is fully healed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.