What to do with the post June $10 M that will be available

Magox

As everyone knows, there will soon be $10M available because of the Tre White release.   What do you think the Bills should do with that money?

Personally for me and I know this won't be a popular take among the most ardent WR proponents, I believe this team is lacking depth at safety and CB.

I think the Bills should look to get another player that is borderline starting quality for both of those positions to compete for a starting spot or be in the every Sunday rotation.   I could see the Bills look to get another quality rotational DT but aside from that, I think the Bills are set to go into this next coming season.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It all comes down to who’s available. It’s not like the possibilities are infinite. If the free agent cupboard is bare….do nothing. 

Our outside boundary corners are Douglas, Benford, Elam and Ingram.    

Safeties are (R) Bishop, Rapp, Edwards and Hamlin.

We are lacking depth at these positions, an injury or two and those position groupings are in trouble.

Edited by Magox
  • Agree 1

You aren't touching QB or TE obviously. With the drafting of Davis I don't think you're touching RB either. I'm sure any coach would tell you they want more depth on the o-line and d-line but I think you're pretty solid there too especially with the drafting of Carter and VPG and the various March signings.

It's McD so you can never rule out a LB signing especially if Milano has any sort of health concerns. But I more so see them going after a special teams type guy who is a generally meaningless salary hit if they're going to look at a LB.

Edwards, Bishop, Rapp seem to be the safeties which is good enough especially if they let Bishop play from day 1. Plus Hyde is always possible. I know safety is important in McD's system but not sure they make a move until they know for sure Hyde's status.

You can always use pass rushing depth but it seems like they're really betting on Von being significantly better. I do hope Solomon gets a roster spot. He can be a situational pass rusher. 

So for me the two spots that could use attention are WR and CB. 

WR - I really like Shakir and Samuel because you can move them around and scheme them. I really like both of them but neither are good enough that you feel good about it if they're lining up against someone like Sauce Gardner every snap. But since you can move them around and Brady actually seems to be creative, I think they're a solid 1/2. Then you have Coleman who I think will have some blow up games and some invisible games just like Gabe Davis. But that trio is pretty good. Plus I think Kincaid will lead the team in targets and catches assuming he's healthy all year. So yeah you could definitely use more depth but you aren't signing another possession WR and it seems like they have already added some deep threat options. So I wouldn't touch the free agent options. If a trade is possible for an Aiyuk type player, of course I take a look.

CB - Douglas and Benford on the outside. Taron on the inside. That's pretty good although you always worry about Taron's concussions. Douglas can play while banged up but he is aging a bit too. Elam is the wild card here. I love that they haven't given up on him yet. But there just isn't much out there after him. I admittedly don't know much about the available free agent CB's or even the trade market but this is probably my biggest concern heading into next season.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

We are lacking depth at these positions, an injury or two and those position groupings are in trouble.

What happened to Cam Lewis (cb/s) and rookie Hardy? Both are making the team.  

The best thing the Bills can do is nothing  with the extra cap.  Because of the youth transition on the roster many positions still look like they need help.  If the kids step up, like Elam at CB or Bishop at S, then the issue goes away.  If they don’t or significant injuries occur, Beane will have a war chest to fix the problem like he did with Douglas last year.  This is one of those times to be patient.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

No doubt but that doesn’t mean you do anything until much later, after someone actually gets hurt. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

What happened to Cam Lewis (cb/s) and rookie Hardy? Both are making the team.  

The best thing the Bills can do is nothing  with the extra cap.  Because of the youth transition on the roster many positions still look like they need help.  If the kids step up, like Elam at CB or Bishop at S, then the issue goes away.  If they don’t or significant injuries occur, Beane will have a war chest to fix the problem like he did with Douglas last year.  This is one of those times to be patient.  

Cam Lewis and Hardy are NB defenders, we are good in depth there.   Where we don't have much depth are on the boundaries, we truly have only 3 tested players there and Ingram.   All it takes is an injury and that spot is looking very worrisome.   

At the safety spot you have two tested players in Edwards and Rapp, Hamlin hasn't showed much and Bishop who I like a lot is still an untested rookie.  The team likes to play with 3 safety alignments, so that's another position if you get an injury then that means Hamlin will be thrust into playing.  That's another position where we lack depth.

I would like them to sit on it for a minute and first figure out what they have on the team with the players they have available and then after the cuts come down from other teams they can see just who is out there that would fit their scheme better . 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Depending on how Von looks, maybe Ngokoue? Maybe Ogbah? Other than that, Worley/Simmons someone in secondary.

It may also be smart to let it sit until training camp to address injuries if / when they happen. 

1 hour ago, GustheDog33 said:

Sign the draft class.

Yup. Per OTC and in rough numbers we have $2M in space now. It’ll cost about $3M in space to sign our picks. So with the $10M from Tre that leaves us $9M. Transition to the 53 plus practice squad is at least about $4M. That takes us $5M. So not any more than we would need for in season moves. Looking at the cold, hard numbers - and reality of the situation - we have no room for anything but near minimum signings unless we decide to create more space somehow. Haven’t looked at that in a while.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.