NFL plans to have over $25 Billion per year in revenue by 2027

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Went to see the Bills in Green Bay in 2010 and they had already made that stadium and its adjoining museum a 365/24/7 destination.  I understand they've added more amenities since to enhance the "Green Bay experience."  Would something like that work in Buffalo?  Hard to tell because Green Bay's history is so rich and deep.  Sure, we've been to Super Bowls, but Buffalo is not the national brand Green Bay is.  Agree though, odd that more hasn't sprouted up around the stadium in recent years.

Yep, even though GB is a small city Lambeau is more centrally located and easy to get to for visitors just for a quick stop over.  The stadium site in Orchard Park is just out there, in nowhere's-ville.  I just try to imagine myself and my family being in town during random weekdays between Dec- end of April when the weather sucks. What would get me out to the stadium area other than a game?  They would probably have to build mixed use residential/retail/restaurants and museum type attractions. That just seems like a pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yep, even though GB is a small city Lambeau is more centrally located and easy to get to for visitors just for a quick stop over.  The stadium site in Orchard Park is just out there, in nowhere's-ville.  I just try to imagine myself and my family being in town during random weekdays between Dec- end of April when the weather sucks. What would get me out to the stadium area other than a game?  They would probably have to build mixed use residential/retail/restaurants and museum type attractions. That just seems like a pipe dream.

20 minutes from most of Buffalo.

18 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I know, that is my point....what is the attraction going to be?

Nothing really. Concerts in the spring and summertime. If they did a build a dome maybe they could have had some events over the winter as well. NFL stadiums pretty much sit empty most of the time.

8 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

NFL hasn't cared about fans in thirty years.

Why do you think they cared about fans 30 years ago?

They're a corporation. All they've ever cared about was money. Sometimes they way to that money was through an appeal to fans, but the money was always the primary goal.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why do you think they cared about fans 30 years ago?

They're a corporation. All they've ever cared about was money. Sometimes they way to that money was through an appeal to fans, but the money was always the primary goal.

Gradient

they at least pretended to care 30 years ago. They've dropped all pretense now

Posted (edited)

Must be nice to know you have a product that is basically a "sure thing".  I can't really see any way that the NFL makes less money or gets less popular moving forward.

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Must be nice to know you have a product that it basically a "sure thing".  I can't really see any way that the NFL makes less money or gets less popular moving forward.

Agree. When you talk sports in America it's pretty much football season and then everything else. MLB, NBA, and the NHL aren't even remotely close to the NFL in popularity in the country.

So, that averages about a Billion per streaming service. 

I don’t mind them making money, but I DO mind them making it a PITA to follow my team. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I look at Patriot Place and see something that becomes a destination on non-game days. At the very least a hotel or two would have been nice 

Patriot Place did okay with clubs, restaurants, movie theaters, even a hospital. And that part of Foxboro isn't close to population centers. OP is not far from most of Buffalo. 

The Battery where the Braves play in Atlanta is an awesome place and worth visiting for anyone coming to town. They have hotels, restaurants, bars, “adult arcades”, movie and live event theaters, apartments, office building, you name it. It’s very conveniently located where I-75 and the beltline around the city meet, so it’s pretty easy in and easy out. It’s defiantly a serious destination and I have to be careful not to just drop by for lunch if the Braves are at home that day. 

Posted (edited)

I look at Patriot Place and see something that becomes a destination on non-game days. At the very least a hotel or two would have been nice 

Patriot Place did okay with clubs, restaurants, movie theaters, even a hospital. And that part of Foxboro isn't close to population centers. OP is not far from most of Buffalo. 

It is also in a more populated area......we both live in Manchester NH and have been there....OP is in the middle of nowhere compared to Foxboro.  They also have more population period who might want to check it out.  I guess we disagree that Foxboro is more accessible to more population than OP.....having been to both they are very different in that respect.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It is also in a more populated area......we both live in Manchester NH and have been there....OP is in the middle of nowhere compared to Foxboro.  They also have more population period who might want to check it out.

Not true. OP is not that far outside Buffalo. Foxboro is quite far from both Boston and Providence. Now there is still quite a lot of people living in the immediate Foxboro area but it's but close to either city. Orchard Park is a 20 minute drive or less from most of metro Buffalo.

But my point is they didn't do anything around the stadium in over 50 years. Not a single hotel or restaurant. What's there now was there before 1973. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This is the part I simply don’t understand about how people look at our society. We live in a free market economy. If there was money to be made by creating a development as you’d like to see, someone would build it. I can’t imagine there’s some grand orchestrated conspiracy against it. It’s not like the Bills are more interested in having people come and drink their own beer in their parking lots. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

This is the part I simply don’t understand about how people look at our society. We live in a free market economy. If there was money to be made by creating a development as you’d like to see, someone would build it. I can’t imagine there’s some grand orchestrated conspiracy against it. It’s not like the Bills are more interested in having people come and drink their own beer in their parking lots. 

I don't know this for sure but I was under the impression the town of Orchard Park blocked development out of fear their quaint little suburb would change too much.

what the nfl will become….

1. Amazon

2. nbc

3. fox

4. cbs

5. espn/ abc

6. netflix

7. hulu

8. peacock

9. TNT/TBS

10.NFL network

11 paramount 

12 YouTube 

i guess we can have a game on each network each week.

DH network gets 2 games in different slots.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know this for sure but I was under the impression the town of Orchard Park blocked development out of fear their quaint little suburb would change too much.

I’m sure right. They can’t possibly need additional tax revenue. (sarcasm) 

Posted (edited)

I would love to see more development and things to do around the Bills stadium, but I'm not sure it would work.  My comments will also compare them to some of the other stadiums with nearby development:

• I have not been to the Foxboro, but that entire area of New England is very populous.  I looked and Gillette Stadium is also between two major highways, with what appears to be a least one exit right to the stadium area.  The Bills stadium is a few miles from a highway, and at that the 219 is not exactly a major thoroughfare.  I-90 isn't that far away, but you can't exit it and be right there.
  • I have been to the Lambeau field twice.  Most of the development there is on-site at the stadium.  A museum, maybe a restaurant, etc.  The rest of the surrounding area is basically a neighborhood.  The Bills could easily do this and I assume they will.  Another point about Green Bay is that the stadium is 3 miles from the center of downtown Green Bay, whereas the Bills stadium is 11 miles from the center of downtown Buffalo.  That said, there's a lot more going on in downtown Buffalo than in downtown Green Bay.
  • There's a comparison to the Atlanta Braves' suburban development.  That development is right where I-75 and I-285 intersect with tons of other nearby development (a mall, a Costco, numerous other shopping and restaurants) in a highly populous area.  The Bills stadium is in a small semi-suburban/semi-rural area.  There just isn't the same amount of traffic in the area.

I agree with those who say that if there was money to be made by developing near the stadium, it would have been done/will be done.  As much as I love Buffalo and the game-day experience, I just don't see it being a viable option, other than maybe a Green Bay-style museum and restaurant.  In some cities, the in-stadium restaurant is open for private parties and/or everyday dining, and I could see the Bills doing that too.

One more thing to add is to be careful what you wish for.  If there were movie theaters, bars, restaurants, shops, piano bars, comedy clubs, etc. around the Bills stadium, the tailgate experience as we know it would no longer exist.  Those businesses would need land and parking for their patrons and surely would not permit kegs and grills (and fire engines with taps, makeshift bars serving polish liqueur out of a bowling ball, etc.) on premises.  Things would be a lot more sterile than they are today.

Edited by msw2112

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Its not about the money, its about providing family entertainment at reasonable prices

Wait a minute! Isn’t that what’s printed on the US dollar right below the picture of George Washington? 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sure right. They can’t possibly need additional tax revenue. (sarcasm) 

Well, there are certain communities do that think that way. I'm sure you've run into your share of NIMBYs in your line of work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.