McManus Accused of sexual assault

On 5/28/2024 at 2:48 PM, Buffalo03 said:

I think you're naive if you think any any woman may not lead you on at any random time. These are professional athletes with lots of money. I think it's very safe to assume that even at work, yes, a woman can lead a guy on at work. I'm not saying it happened in this situation but for you to make a sarcastic remark like it would never ever ever ever happen is just naive. 

It's grinding. My main concern would be something far worse than that. Would I want it to happen? No, but to sue him for it? Come on. It's the same if I had a wife, a girl at work put her a** into me on purpose and hit on me, would I think my wife would like it? Probably not, but I'm not suing her over it either 

keep hope alive!

On 5/28/2024 at 2:10 PM, Buffalo03 said:

Lol. There are no breaks. I work straight through 

Thanks man--we understand those subs aren't going to make themselves.

we appreciate your service.

On 5/28/2024 at 3:03 PM, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

This is most likely true but It really depends on his employment status.  Different levels of employment status generally create different levels of responsibility and liability for their employers.  If the team attorneys were doing their job, their agreement with the charter company would contain language to protect them from third party "deep pocket lawsuits".  I'm guessing that this all goes away with a large check and a new kicker in Jacksonville.

can you name any attorneys who are able to put riders in a service provider (the charter company) contract saying "our employees will not sue you if you sexually assault them"?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

keep hope alive!

Thanks man--we understand those subs aren't going to make themselves.

we appreciate your service.

can you name any attorneys who are able to put riders in a service provider (the charter company) contract saying "our employees will not sue you if you sexually assault them"?

The company (the Jags) didn't assault anyone but the employee apparently did.  The names of the attorneys aren't really relevant but you can pick most every large corporation that has exclusive travel arrangement contracts who spend millions of dollars on employee travel.  They make it a condition of doing business with those large corporations and use the large monetary value of the contracts as leverage to get the terms that they want.  The financial liability doesn't extend beyond the offender under those kinds of agreements.  I have first hand experience with these kinds of contracts.

On 5/27/2024 at 12:17 PM, boater said:

I will admit it, I clicked through hoping for photos.

This is ridiculous: The lawsuit alleges the Jaguars committed gross negligence by failing to properly hire McManus, train him about inappropriate and sexual contact with flight staff, supervise him on the flight, adopt policies and procedures to protect flight staff from sexual misconduct by its employees, and enforcing a zero-tolerance policy regarding inappropriate behavior.

They are just suing the deep pockets, looking for their out of court nuisance settlement.

The NFL better hire Jordan Belfort to handle these airborne slimeballs. 

10 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

The company (the Jags) didn't assault anyone but the employee apparently did.  The names of the attorneys aren't really relevant but you can pick most every large corporation that has exclusive travel arrangement contracts who spend millions of dollars on employee travel.  They make it a condition of doing business with those large corporations and use the large monetary value of the contracts as leverage to get the terms that they want.  The financial liability doesn't extend beyond the offender under those kinds of agreements.  I have first hand experience with these kinds of contracts.

a hair not worth splitting--the player was working for the company and at a team function (the flight).  naturally the suit would name his employer.

can you name a company (in this case the charter), large or small, that allows sexual harassment in the workplace?  That would be illegal, so how likely would they be able to indemnify themselves against and prevent their attacked employees from seeking redress?  Do the contracts you have had experience with prevent flight attendants from suing charter passengers?  Do flight attendants sign away their right to seek remedy?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

a hair not worth splitting--the player was working for the company and at a team function (the flight).  naturally the suit would name his employer.

can you name a company (in this case the charter), large or small, that allows sexual harassment in the workplace?  That would be illegal, so how likely would they be able to indemnify themselves against and prevent their attacked employees from seeking redress?  Do the contracts you have had experience with prevent flight attendants from suing charter passengers?  Do flight attendants sign away their right to seek remedy?

In the realm of the legal system, it is a hair that is split.  People working for a company fall into several categories. They can be contractors, can be non-exempt, exempt, officers of the corporation, or directors on the board of directors.  Directors on the board and officers legally act on behalf of the corporation and their actions can be treated like actions of the company.  In general, the other types of employee actions are less directly tied to a corporation in terms of liability.  The flight attendants do not sign away their ability to seek a remedy but their employment agreement may define where they can seek remedy.  In this case, the flight attendant can and should seek a remedy directly from the offending player.  She may also be able to seek a remedy directly from her employer for failing to maintain a safe and harassment free work place.  Third party lawsuits usually come into play when the party of primary responsibility lacks the resources to provide sufficient restitution.  In this particular case, the player probably has more than sufficient funds to settle the issue.  A suit against the team or the NFL would be a reach.

38 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

In the realm of the legal system, it is a hair that is split.  People working for a company fall into several categories. They can be contractors, can be non-exempt, exempt, officers of the corporation, or directors on the board of directors.  Directors on the board and officers legally act on behalf of the corporation and their actions can be treated like actions of the company.  In general, the other types of employee actions are less directly tied to a corporation in terms of liability.  The flight attendants do not sign away their ability to seek a remedy but their employment agreement may define where they can seek remedy.  In this case, the flight attendant can and should seek a remedy directly from the offending player.  She may also be able to seek a remedy directly from her employer for failing to maintain a safe and harassment free work place.  Third party lawsuits usually come into play when the party of primary responsibility lacks the resources to provide sufficient restitution.  In this particular case, the player probably has more than sufficient funds to settle the issue.  A suit against the team or the NFL would be a reach.

In the medical field, everyone gets sued on a particular case--sometimes including nurses and trainee physicians--regardless of funds.  But the hospital is always a defendant.  Obviously some are listed simply to depose, but in my experience the employer of the defendant physician (who is also fully insured) is always sued as well.  I agree with 27 million career earnings, McManus can handle the likely settled amount.  

Are players considered contractors?

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the medical field, everyone gets sued on a particular case--sometimes including nurses and trainee physicians--regardless of funds.  But the hospital is always a defendant.  Obviously some are listed simply to depose, but in my experience the employer of the defendant physician (who is also fully insured) is always sued as well.  I agree with 27 million career earnings, McManus can handle the likely settled amount.  

Are players considered contractors?

They are not contractors but are probably considered exempt but are non-management employees.  This is the second lowest level of status for full time employees. Non-exempt hourly employees would be considered the lowest level.  No matter who ends up paying for this, the victim will be compensated and it will probably happen behind the scenes.  You would think after the Watson debacle, players would understand that they can't just go out and do reprehensible acts.  If proven guilty, I hope he never plays in the league again. 

4 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If proven guilty, I hope he never plays in the league again. 

For me, I'd need to know a lot more about this, before deciding how I want this to play out. Is McManus the kind of guy who'd knowingly inflict emotional trauma on a woman, for his own sexual gratification? If he is, he needs to go. If however he legitimately believed the women weren't that bothered by his actions, I'd need to see three things happen.

1) Punishment. This means suspension for several games. 2) Restitution. This means money out of his bank account. Some of the money goes to the plaintiffs. Some goes toward the charitable cause of helping victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault. 3) Reeducation. The goal here is for McManus to better understand the reason why he is being punished. This means listening to the stories of women who have been victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.

If he isn't the type to knowingly harm others for his own gratification, and if he pays the price of 1) - 3), I'm okay with him continuing his career in the NFL.

14 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

They are not contractors but are probably considered exempt but are non-management employees.  This is the second lowest level of status for full time employees. Non-exempt hourly employees would be considered the lowest level.  No matter who ends up paying for this, the victim will be compensated and it will probably happen behind the scenes.  You would think after the Watson debacle, players would understand that they can't just go out and do reprehensible acts.  If proven guilty, I hope he never plays in the league again. 

almost all of us are Non-management employees.

If it settles behind the scenes, he won't be "proven guilty".

On 5/27/2024 at 2:29 PM, DJB said:

No place for any type of assault anywhere. 

If true dude should be convicted and out of the league forever 

I agree 100 % but i wouldn’t count on it , Deshaun Watson is still in the league after he assaulted dozens of woman . 
still makes me sick 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/29/2024 at 8:10 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

The NFL better hire Jordan Belfort to handle these airborne slimeballs. 

Jimmy Fallon Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Now I have to watch “Wolf of Wall Street!!!” …….And I have a very busy day! 

On 5/27/2024 at 3:30 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

Disgusting behavior, and I for one believe every word of it.  Pretty horrible that no one from the Jags did anything to stop it.

And why exactly do you think he is 100% guilty without the need for any proof, verdict and whatnot?

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

And why exactly do you think he is 100% guilty without the need for any proof, verdict and whatnot?

Maybe too many witnesses indicated, too much subtle suggestion that this isn't a new or unexpected story to emerge around the accused, etc. But also, you're not wrong to maintain some degree of reservation until all is known. None of us commenting here actually KNOWS anything at all about this story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Time for the Kansas City Chiefs to start kicking the tires on McManus!

Gues thry could rename their team from the chiefs to Sued ( not Sioux) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.