Man I hate the fact Von Miller is on this team.

10 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What an atrocious contract that was. Should have been a fireable offense, it's lead weights on the ankles when you're trying to swim. Can we REALLY roll the guy out there this year?

Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone was by and large happy with the signing and he played great pre acl injury. There is no way to know if an injury will happen. If he didn’t get injured, then you aren’t making this post. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not understanding why the Bills couldn't have done it like the rams did it, one year rental, whatever happens happens.

6 years 120 million for an edge over 30 is just stupid

One year rental? He was a free agent. The Rams had offered him a good contract. A multi-year contract. He liked being a Ram, and wanted to remain where he was. We're not prying him away from all that with a one year offer. If we wanted to sign him, there was only one way. That was to do what we did. Even with the very large contract Buffalo offered, his first inclination was to remain with the Rams. But after talking it over with people, such as his father, he changed his mind. Von Miller's father said something to the effect of, "They have almost everything they need to win a Super Bowl. The only piece they're missing is you."

With the benefit of hindsight, the von Miller contract maybe doesn't look like the very best decision this organization has ever made. But that's hindsight. Beane had to work with the information available at the time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I thought about responding and then I decided to scroll first. Saw about 50 people that said the same thing I woulda said. Played outstanding, got hurt, Super Bowl chance went out the door when he got injured.

Dude coulda just kept gobbling up that cash. He did us such a huge favor restructuring and put HIS money where his mouth is. Said I’m going to earn it. That’s a huge move from someone that didn’t need to do that at all. 

Of course, we still have people blasting the move hindsight being what it is. But the fact that he’s still on the team, has a chance to really produce, and took a huge gamble to do so should cut him and the move some slack. 

Nah… that would be the full thinking adult thing to do.

But please, don’t let me keep you from your schtick, regale us with how many sacks he had last year. 

Von Miller had less leverage than many here might believe. Let's say he pulled a Stephon Diggs, and refused to discuss a pay cut. At that point, the Bills could have released him, designating him a post June 1st cut. That would have saved a little cap space for this upcoming season. In that scenario, you're cutting him off from any new money, and you're spreading the dead cap hit out over two years. That was the leverage the Bills had in their negotiations with von Miller.

Why not just do that? Why keep him on the team at all? Had the Bills released him, they would have been badly in need of a pass rusher. If von Miller improves over 2023, he could significantly contribute in that area. The possibility of helping the team in that way was von Miller's leverage in his negotiations with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What an atrocious contract that was. Should have been a fireable offense, it's lead weights on the ankles when you're trying to swim. Can we REALLY roll the guy out there this year?

I don't think this opinion makes any sense at all, and won't until we know what kind of condition he's in. 

The contract was fine, very good even, until he was injured. And that's true with all contracts, basically. Injuries are a possibility with anyone, and they make a contract's money useless. 

Fair enough that he was older and therefore a riskier signing. But he'd been wildly healthy as an older dude till this happened. Before the injury, he made our defense an absolute metric poo-ton better.

I wouldn't have done that contract myself. But that doesn't make it a bad contract. More high-risk high reward.

12 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Von Miller had less leverage than many here might believe. Let's say he pulled a Stephon Diggs, and refused to discuss a pay cut. At that point, the Bills could have released him, designating him a post June 1st cut. That would have saved a little cap space for this upcoming season. In that scenario, you're cutting him off from any new money, and you're spreading the dead cap hit out over two years. That was the leverage the Bills had in their negotiations with von Miller.

Why not just do that? Why keep him on the team at all? Had the Bills released him, they would have been badly in need of a pass rusher. If von Miller improves over 2023, he could significantly contribute in that area. The possibility of helping the team in that way was von Miller's leverage in his negotiations with the Bills.

You keep him on this team in case he recovers all the way.

And the Bills do NOT want to take a big hit on next year's cap. They made clearing up next year's cap a big priority this year. IMO Miller had plenty of leverage knowing what we all do about how they wanted to clean up the cap. He did this pretty selflessly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not understanding why the Bills couldn't have done it like the rams did it, one year rental, whatever happens happens.

Yeah, this team surprised us with the Mario Williams signing, but he was only 27.

We all loved it at the time, The Closer, I'm hopeful though , he had his best games late in the season / playoffs and he's a genetic freak, has a great mindset and leadership,  so I'm hopeful he could get back to at least 10 sacks , draw double teams, we'll see. 

Those games before the injury were awesome 

16 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The back three years of the contract wasn't real.  It was basically a three year contract worth $52.5m that we easily could've gotten out of off of after three seasons.  Hall of fame pass rushers age well as Bruce Smith was still elite at the same age (33-35) that Miller's contract was good for.  It was a perfectly reasonable calculated risk that didn't work out.  Miller was all that was advertised until the Thanksgiving curse struck its ugly head.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I asked that in another thread and people said he did along with the broken leg. It's never been officially reported either way from what I have read. The fact he isn't practicing for at least another month makes me think he tore something in the knee.  He would be back by now if it was just broken tibia. 

Why would the Bills put Matt Milano on the field for OTA’s?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I think you should be our GM.  You sound like you know what you're talking about.

• Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Thanks, send your request to one bills drive

I could use the pay raise

I forgot to put the *sarcastic* symbol on my post.

He's a rotational piece/ 3rd down guy at this point. He's always been a bit of a liability against the run. Age and injury won't see his run D improve at all. Hopefully he can at least make some impactful plays this year.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well unfortunately Von never became our Chris Jones impact player.  Like Gunner says I'm not expecting much this year.  And the organization will likely part ways in June 2025.  Just an incredibly unlucky event which tends to follow Buffalo throughout the years.

Let’s hope the brain trust learned a costly lesson with Miller, and to think he preferred Dallas and Beane blew their offer out of the water. Frustrating 

20 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Buffalo wasn't his only option. 1 year deal he probably goes to Dallas or stays in LA. They basically signed him to a 3 year deal.  This year will likely be his last.  Contract has sucked but before the Lions game he was playing like a top 5 De. 

11 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Does the OP realize Miller took a paycut this year? Sure, all of us were disappointed with Miller’s play last season, but you have to respect the man for taking a paycut and realizing he didn’t perform up to expectations.

“Miller has agreed to cut his base pay this year from $17.5 million to $8.855 million, according to Field Yates of ESPN. That will save the Bills $8.645 million.“

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bills-get-significant-salary-cap-savings-as-von-miller-agrees-to-restructure-contract

Von did take a semi-pay cut this season. But his cap hit is still a lofty 15 million but that's down from the 23 million in could have been so by converting his salary into incentives he saved the Bills 8 million on the cap and he also makes the last 3 years of his contract a bit easier to get out of as his dead cap hits in 2026 and 2027 are a lot lower and while he still has a high dead cap hit in 2025 its a a few million lower than it was and I would imagine if Von has a solid but not great season in 2024 the Bills and Von will rework that deal. 

I also think that in addition to taking a bit of a pay cut this year saving the Bills a nice chunk of change when they were really cap strapped it was also Von who recruited Floyd to come in on a team friendly deal and Floyd helped replace a lot of what was lost with Von esp in the first half of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I bet you were one of the loudest when he was making all those sacks when he first got here though weren't you ? 

I think he will bounce back & be much better than last year & if not he will be the first to know it & the Bills won't have to cut him next year because he will retire due to the fact that the great ones don't like to go out looking less than what they were at their best or really bad .

So this season will tell us all we need to know about Von & if he comes back as i think he will you will be once again applauding his production like you did when he got here and all will be once again right in the world of the Bills .

21 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

35.  Never let facts get in the way of your opinion, huh?

Milano didn’t tear his ACL.

Ethan is expressing his concern over Milano's recovery, while I hope for the best I too am concerned.

19 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not lashing out at Miller. Lashing out at Beane for gross mismanagement.

So an average of 4 sacks per season since he arrived.

That comes out to about 5 mill per sack. Great work if you can get it.

Fire everybody!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.