Man I hate the fact Von Miller is on this team.

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

All 10 of those games.

I was in favor of the swing, but injuries are a big risk in signing older players.

Found this article below. Supports older players being more injury prone, but that it tends to be more with muscle related issues.  Whereas ligament tears are more prevalent in younger players.

Age is routinely cited as one of the strongest factors influencing injury.2-6 The age cutoff is not well defined, but 25 tends to be the line of demarcation, where below age 25, injury risk is lower, and healing is more efficient.3 

As we age, the composition of tissues begins to change. Muscle begins to lose its elasticity and its tolerance to stretch and load; muscle begins to lose its ability to generate power at the same capacity, and the composition of collagen and other important cellular components of muscle begins to decline.7

Numerous studies cite age as a risk factor for various muscle injuries, including hamstring, calf, quad, and groin injuries.4,5,7 Julio Jones is a great example. Jones was dominant for much of his career. However, in his 30s, Jones has struggled to stay on the field as he has battled numerous hamstring injuries. 

Interestingly, research on ligament injuries, particularly ACL and ankle sprains, suggests younger players are at more risk for ligament injury.6,8 Part of the reason is that younger people tend to have more mobile joints. As we age, the bony alignment of our joints changes, and more bone begins to develop in joints that routinely take on load. While this eventually leads to arthritis and stiffness, it does reduce the mobility of the joint, making it less likely for ligament sprains to occur. While the research on ankle sprains and ACL tears highlights youth as a risk factor, in general, older age lends an athlete more likely to get injured and to take longer to recover.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Pedantic.

The team. Better?

Moving on from Von this season, after all the other off season moves, would have been a cap space disaster.

He is playing this year.  Period.  The odds highly favor him not being a Bills next season.

It's pretty simple, so lashing out on him now (after his injury) makes zero sense.  As a fan 'we" can only hope he plays better and

that the sacks he can achieve come at opportune times.

Better?

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Yeah? You like spending 20 mill a year on a guy who's produced nothing in a season and a quarter? Cool, cool.

You do you, boss.

He had 8 sacks in 11 games. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Moving on from Von this season, after all the other off season moves, would have been a cap space disaster.

He is playing this year.  Period.  The odds highly favor him not being a Bills next season.

It's pretty simple, so lashing out on him now (after his injury) makes zero sense.  As a fan 'we" can only hope he plays better and

that the sacks he can achieve come at opportune times.

Better?

Not lashing out at Miller. Lashing out at Beane for gross mismanagement.

Just now, Roundybout said:

He had 8 sacks in 11 games. 

So an average of 4 sacks per season since he arrived.

That comes out to about 5 mill per sack. Great work if you can get it.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What happened in November 2022 that may have affected things? Think carefully, now. 

Posted (edited)

I thought about responding and then I decided to scroll first. Saw about 50 people that said the same thing I woulda said. Played outstanding, got hurt, Super Bowl chance went out the door when he got injured.

Dude coulda just kept gobbling up that cash. He did us such a huge favor restructuring and put HIS money where his mouth is. Said I’m going to earn it. That’s a huge move from someone that didn’t need to do that at all. 

Of course, we still have people blasting the move hindsight being what it is. But the fact that he’s still on the team, has a chance to really produce, and took a huge gamble to do so should cut him and the move some slack. 

Nah… that would be the full thinking adult thing to do.

But please, don’t let me keep you from your schtick, regale us with how many sacks he had last year. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I can see you are going to not accept any other version other than your own bitter belief.

I'll let you continue alone without any more input from me.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I supported the swing. I am not second guessing that now. But I do think luck was against them. I think he is toast. I see fewer than 6 sacks and a lot of looking washed in 2024. Doubt he starts for most of the year.

Agreed. I also believe that the stadium deal factored greatly into the decision to sign Miller. After 13 seconds the team needed to make a move to keep the team solidly in contention for a Super Bowl win and stoke fan fervor. That Miller signing certainly did  both.

10 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Cmon man. He was injured. It's not like he got paid and stopped playing like Haynesworth or Dareus.

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What an atrocious contract that was. Should have been a fireable offense, it's lead weights on the ankles when you're trying to swim. Can we REALLY roll the guy out there this year?

It was a high-risk contract.  Even if he hadn't been injured, how badly would his play have begun to diminish.  

Diggs had a strong element of risk to it as well.  

What was the commonality in both signings?  

Simple, our drafts failed to produce a much better than average edge-rusher, and between not focusing on WR in our drafts and otherwise not being successful in filling a "#1 WR" role, we had to break out the checkbook on both.  

Some GMs draft better than others.  

Think about where McBeane would be had they not drafted Allen.  It certainly wouldn't have been on this team.  

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What an atrocious contract that was. Should have been a fireable offense, it's lead weights on the ankles when you're trying to swim. Can we REALLY roll the guy out there this year?

Your gonna get flamed but your not wrong. Unless he does a 180 this season from last it will go down as one of the worst free agents signings in team history.

Just now, Sharky7337 said:

Your gonna get flamed but your not wrong. Unless he does a 180 this season from last it will go down as one of the worst free agents signings in team history.

Used to it. I'm not expecting anything more than 2-3 sacks this season, tops.

• Agree 1

I was just thinking about it the other day.

Some people throw shade at the Von Miller contract--then turn around and in the same breath--want Beane to swing for the fences and get a hot veteran WR1.

Just now, boater said:

I was just thinking about it the other day.

Some people throw shade at the Von Miller contract--then turn around and in the same breath--want Beane to swing for the fences and get a hot veteran WR1.

There's a material difference between signing a 30+ edge and a 24-25 yo WR.

I mean, that's pretty easy.

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

There's a material difference between signing a 30+ edge and a 24-25 yo WR.

I mean, that's pretty easy.

What 24-25 yo WR did you want in FA that year? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.