Man I hate the fact Von Miller is on this team.

3 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I supported the swing and am not second guessing now.  

I am cautiously optimistic that pride will not let Vaughn look as bad as he did last year, and he will be back and productive this year.  Probably not All Pro but he won't be embarrassed and humiliated like last year.    

Agree! I was all in on the signing and I'm not going to rip Beane for trying. Same for Benjamin trade.  I was ok with it ar the time.

• Like (+1) 1

zero issues with Beane or the contract.  its what got Von here,  and he was playing to the contract before the injury on that garbage turf in Detroit.  happens.  the contract was never going to be for the full 6 anyways.  Von gives us something this season,  great,  he doesnt,  hes gone.   is what it is.   Von bringing down Mahomes to win the game is easily forgotten it appears.  every team that wins the final game of the season needs a bit of luck to help them.  someday,  hopefully, luck will be on our side.  id say we've been lucky a bit,  found a top QB that most thought wouldnt amount to much.   luck giveth,  luck taketh away at times.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What an atrocious contract that was. Should have been a fireable offense, it's lead weights on the ankles when you're trying to swim. Can we REALLY roll the guy out there this year?

It was another day late and a dollar short move by Beano. 

Missed out on Diggs and Sanders in 19, went for Diggs in 20 (worked) and Sanders in 21 (eh).

Missed out on Von in 21, went for him in 2022, didn’t work.

I liked the Von move. He got hurt. It sucks. If he didn’t get hurt, the last 2 seasons could’ve been different. 

It’s not like they paid him after he got hurt. They paid him after he balled out for the Rams in route to their SB win. 

Anyway, since you knew it was a bad move, can you link when you said so?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Missed out on Diggs and Sanders in 19, went for Diggs in 20 (worked) and Sanders in 21 (eh).

I liked the Von move. He got hurt. It sucks. If he didn’t get hurt, the last 2 seasons could’ve been different. 

It’s not like they paid him after he got hurt. They paid him after he balled out for the Rams in route to their SB win. 

Minnesota was never trading Diggs in 2019 hot off the big extension. Sanders had a very good season with us, nothing Earth-shattering. 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He chose not to give up a 2nd round pick for Von in 2021. He actually talked about it. He didn’t do it because he didn’t know if he could sign him. Von might have been the difference vs KC in 2021.

But it would’ve cost a 2nd and 3rd, which ultimately became James Cook and Terrel Bernard.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I asked that in another thread and people said he did along with the broken leg. It's never been officially reported either way from what I have read. The fact he isn't practicing for at least another month makes me think he tore something in the knee.  He would be back by now if it was just broken tibia. 

According to The Buffalo News, Milano revealed that he had suffered a tibia fracture in his right leg, but the good news was that there was no ligament damage affecting his knee. The fracture occurred just below his knee and that it prevented him from being able to put any weight on the leg for eight weeks. Now, the 29-year-old linebacker is rehabilitating at the Bills facility in Orchard Park, NY.

This was from Buffalo Rumbling quoting a story from the News.  He suffered a tibias plateau fracture from what I’ve read.  That is more complex than a fracture involving a non-articulate part of the bone, but not as severe as an ACL.  Reports say he’s rehabbing well and should be ready for camp.

Miller will be almost 3 seasons removed from his ACL so should be able to go full strength again.  Watching him last year while it was great he tried, it was clear he wasn’t ready.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The biggest black mark on Beane's legacy won't be Von's albatross contract, it'll be not trading for Von in 2021 before the Rams could.  With him on the team there is no 13 seconds debacle and we're two years removed from our parade by now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

What an atrocious contract that was. Should have been a fireable offense, it's lead weights on the ankles when you're trying to swim. Can we REALLY roll the guy out there this year?

It was a big move that didn't payoff. 

Here's the thing. Was the contract more than it should have been? Sure. I'll concede that. I thought that when he was signed. I thought we had 2 years of "good Von" before this season when age started to show. The injury basically erased what I felt were the best years we would have him. You can't predict injury, so I disagree that someone should be fired for it. 

We have no idea what happens past that Thanksgiving day game if Von doesn't blow his knee out. Maybe he keeps playing as well as he did before the injury. The Bills find themselves at home against the Bengals and rather than having zero emotion as a team that game ..Von makes a big strip sack. Bills go up early and get the momentum. Bills win. Bills end up in the Super Bowl that year. 

Let's just say hypothetically that season played out that way....are we at all crying about the contract today? I'm sure some would because they like to complain...but many would not IMO. 

I have a gut feeling that he will show more than last year (hard to show less) as he's further from the injury. But I don't think he hits how he played before it. Age is real. I think he'll be semi productive. A good rotational piece on the field...but a bad overall value in the checkbook. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

35.  Never let facts get in the way of your opinion, huh?

Lotta 10 sack edge guys out there over 35?

That's the minimum for a guy at his pay grade.

Again, best of luck

Von Miller will be a Hall of Famer, you don't reach that level unless you have special talent and a tenacious attitude toward football (which you would expect to drive his rehab efforts).  He suffered a tough injury that takes considerable time to heal from; let alone perform at a high level-as in the level he was playing at prior to his injury.  He restructured his contract to be heavily weighted toward incentives-I am betting with Von that he has a stellar, more Von-like, season this year.  Of course we won't know if age and injury will catch up to Von sooner rather than later, but I see some reason to be hopeful.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I supported the swing. I am not second guessing that now. But I do think luck was against them. I think he is toast. I see fewer than 6 sacks and a lot of looking washed in 2024. Doubt he starts for most of the year.

Isn’t he still being investigated by league for last years domestic violence incident?  If so he might be watching from home for the year.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

BS.  He was playing great until the ACL tear.  

All 10 of those games.

I was in favor of the swing, but injuries are a big risk in signing older players.

It was a big swing. You have to make those sometimes. And it was a miss because of the injury.

All you can do is move forward. It sucks it happened. Maybe he can play better this year. We'll see.

The story of last season was that all of our biggest contracts didn't produce for us. Von Miller, Tre White, Matt Milano, Stef Diggs (later in the season), Dawson Knox, etc. Whether is was injuries or other factors, you can't survive if all your highest paid players are missing or ineffective.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Who is we?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

BS.  He was playing great until the ACL tear.   It takes more than one year to fully get over one, so we’ll see how he plays this season.

They took a big swing, and had some very bad luck. If he had stayed healthy, and we had won a Super Bowl, who is complaining then? 

But we’ll never know………oh well. I’m just looking forward. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.