This Electric Movement to Save the Planet Costing us All in Many Other Ways !!

11 hours ago, 4th&long said:

It was cloudy in my areas also. Disappointing  but watching it get dark and then light again so quick was still pretty cool.

Yeah.  My brother took a time-elapsed video of it.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, 4th&long said:

The funny part is what are they using to make the electricity to charge all those batteries? There is so much wrong with electric cars it too numerous to count! Tires wear out faster because of the weight of the batteries. Goodyear tires for my f150 are $285 each right now. Do they think I want to buy tires more often? Don’t even get me going on the Dodge challenger going electric! What do the call it? It’s not 800 horse power anymore. Does the engine even make a sound? I will be the last person on earth to own an electric car. I’d rather have a Covid shot in my eyeballs every day than buy an electric car. And them damn solar panels people are getting suckered into buying! 

but I don’t think you can totally shove your head up your ass about global warming either. The problem is humans don’t have the answer they are still too *****en stupid!

I've had my Tesla for almost 7 years now.  I drive about 11,500 miles a year.  I've only had to change my tires once, about a year and a half ago, and that was because of a puncture in the tire.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Everyone talking about EV's.  But the AI data centers are already using as much energy (electricity and cool water) as a small city and are going to grow 100x in the next few.  (They also create a lot of heat pollution) and that's on top of the EV everywhere and Eclectic heat only.  

We better start building nuke plants and soon.

And eff your 15 minute city BS where surfs rent and share everything. then the rich own it and profit from it.

It takes about 12 to 15 years from initial planning to operating for a nuclear power plant. And there's talk of reviving the domestic uranium mining sector but its just talk with regulations and environmental groups blocking re-starting or developing projects. Uranium company share prices have taken off but I think those investors will soon be disappointed by actual events.

And this administration isn't going to piss off any core constituency of environmental groups to revive the nuclear power industry. So 4 more years of clown show Biden puts off a serious program until at least 2029.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Would you consider corruption to be States diverting funds for other uses with a nod and a wink from the Feds? This could be another of those situations where an investigation by DA Bragg would be prudent into the potential of "falsifying business records".

Hmm, good question.  I think that would fall under standard operating procedure for government entities regardless of political affiliation more than corruption....though money steered to political allies and cronies with the knowledge that infrastructure is non-existent certainly falls into that category.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It sounds precisely as if it’s Biden’s (or more accurately, the Biden Administration) fault.  It’s also a prime example as to  why reasonable people who don’t want to see their children/grandchildren/great grandchildren to live in a barren, post-apocalyptic world might think “Gee, that’s strange.  $7.5 billion of taxpayer money went somewhere, paid for something, and they had no idea the infrastructure was non-existent? 

Interesting—what’s the standard?  We seem to have a multitude of options for vibrant/walkable cities with public transport that seem incapable of maintaining infrastructure despite enormous resources devoted to the problem.  

Then, too, there is this trend:

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2018/05/22/demographic-and-economic-trends-in-urban-suburban-and-rural-communities/

When you speak about removing car dependency, how do you foresee motivating suburban/rural citizens to abandon their vehicle(s) and move to the city? 

The federal government has no say over certain local ordinances. For example, NYS was all set to pass a bill that would have required ADUs to be allowed under local zoning ordinances, but it received such massive pushback from mayors that Hochul killed the bill (a big reason why I don’t like her). 

My professional opinion is that, ultimately, younger Americans are going to desire living in communities that are more walkable and aren’t car-reliant, ESPECIALLY as the cost of car ownership continues to rise. 

In addition, constant suburban sprawl is simply not sustainable from both an ecological and financial standpoint. Sprawl pulls the tax base away from our cities (unless you’re like Dallas and you simply absorb all suburbs like an amoeba). 

Rurals are whatever, I understand that’s a totally different kind of community from urban and has a completely different set of issues. 

46 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

The federal government has no say over certain local ordinances. For example, NYS was all set to pass a bill that would have required ADUs to be allowed under local zoning ordinances, but it received such massive pushback from mayors that Hochul killed the bill (a big reason why I don’t like her). 

My professional opinion is that, ultimately, younger Americans are going to desire living in communities that are more walkable and aren’t car-reliant, ESPECIALLY as the cost of car ownership continues to rise. 

In addition, constant suburban sprawl is simply not sustainable from both an ecological and financial standpoint. Sprawl pulls the tax base away from our cities (unless you’re like Dallas and you simply absorb all suburbs like an amoeba). 

Rurals are whatever, I understand that’s a totally different kind of community from urban and has a completely different set of issues. 

I understand the federal government is only one part of the process, but the abject failure in running a boondoggle of this magnitude without ensuring the appropriate outcome seem indisputable.   As a city planner--would that pass muster with your team--planning for a massive investment with zero chance of success because of variables open and obvious to anyone with a pulse? 

I can see the allure of the city life for some younger folks, but don't we already have that option?  NYC offers that option, and while a cool place for certain things, ecologically-speaking I would think it's a disaster.  Financially, sure, you save some dollars without the vehicle/insurance/upkeep/storage--but is NYC affordable?   Boston?  Tokyo?  It seems urban flight is at least as big an issue as urban embrace.    

As for tax base, from my perspective, respectfully I think you have it backwards.  I'm not pulling my tax dollars from the city.   I'm investing in quality of life important to me just as those young city people are investing in theirs.  I also see--using a science term here-- a sh*t ton of young people who choose NOT to embrace the big city life and all it has to offer.  

Thanks for the feedback--I'm genuinely interested in what you have to say here.  If there is a model utopian city that has it all (or approximates it in substantial ways) from your perspective, please let me know what it is.  

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I've had my Tesla for almost 7 years now.  I drive about 11,500 miles a year.  I've only had to change my tires once, about a year and a half ago, and that was because of a puncture in the tire.

I have never owned one so I just go by what I read. I’m guessing the teslas are better. It seems like they are years ahead of the other manufacturers. I think we are still in the early stages of electric cars, I’m sure they will advance the tech as time goes and I might not mind one but not yet.

36 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

I have never owned one so I just go by what I read. I’m guessing the teslas are better. It seems like they are years ahead of the other manufacturers. I think we are still in the early stages of electric cars, I’m sure they will advance the tech as time goes and I might not mind one but not yet.

Yeah I was surprised to hear that EVs are worse for the environment because of the tires needing to be changed so often.  It's just my experience but I know a lot of people who have 21" tires and those things are flimsy as hell.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2024 at 8:58 AM, T master said:

I'm not sure if any one else has noticed but this entire move to Electric cars to save the planet has been such a great thing for all of us as consumers . Not only are all those cars price higher than hawks feet, it's made just about every other battery operated appliance or tool go up to ridiculous prices also ! 

I went to Lowes the other day to look at a battery operated jig saw & you can no longer get the saw with the battery or most any other tool for that matter with the battery included , the saw alone is now $219.00 for just the saw which use to be about $149.00 about 3 years or so ago (thanks Joe) with the battery and then you need to purchase the battery  separately for another couple of hundred depending on which ones you buy . 

So now the same tool we all use to buy for a total of $225.00 or so cost us all near $400.00 I love it ! Then there is the car battery thing that has almost doubled too . 

My wife's battery went bad in her car the other day so she had to go to the auto parts store to get a new one, the last time she had to replace a battery which was with in this administration being elected the battery was $120.00 or so she went and got one just yesterday & it was $240.00 !! I had to get a motorcycle battery this year & it was almost $200.00 .

Joes economy mixed with this electric car battery thing to save the planet is all going to put us in such a great financial position it's awesome . I just hope my old battery's don't run out any time soon .

Wow i'm so glad that all this save the planet battery talk has taken a hold it's just the greatest thing of our time, i just wonder how many politicians are invested in battery company's or any of the other company's that have to provide materials for them around the world you can bet they are & they are probably making bank ...

Maybe we all need to look into investing in battery companies maybe we can get some of our money back from the doubling of the prices .

Oh dear goodness!