Who was the one player and one coach that would make you the most mad on gamedays?

Posted (edited)

Player: Nathan Peterman. There were plenty of bad QB's in the drought era, but Peterman was the only time where I saw zero hope of winning.  When Buffalo held the Bears to under 200 total yards on Offense but lost 41-9, that summed up what it was like under Peterman better than anything else.

Coach: Rex Ryan: At least with Jauron and Gailey, you knew that they were playing with limited talent and young players.  Ryan took our defense from a unit that almost got us in the playoffs with Kyle Orton at QB to a bottom 5 unit in just two years.  Watching The undisciplined play and constant penalties with a team that had borderline playoff talent week in and week out was much worse to me than watching a low talent team that played hard during other drought years..

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be clear, my coward comment was not so much about him being afraid to get hit...but afraid to make mistakes.  And he was playing that way before getting the concussion against the Cardinals.  Its why is nicknames here were things like "Trentative"..."Captian Checkdown"..."Glove Wearing Merry"...etc.  

He just wasn't tough enough mentally, physically, and didn't have the heart it takes to be a field general out there on Sundays.  

My litmus test for a player is this: did he give what he had while on the field? A guy like Kelvin Benjamin is a clear and obvious no, which is why he was my most frustrating player. I put Leslie Frazier in that category as well. The defenses he called in our playoff losses snuffed out any chance of our players putting up much of a fight. 

There's an argument that Trent Edwards fits into this category as well. But it's not as clear cut. Imagine this scenario. Trent Edwards is in his prime. You're an offensive coordinator, tasked with building an offense around him. Edwards is responding well to hypnosis therapy. Depending what he's told in hypnosis, he can be as cautious or as bold as you want. Great. What kind of an offense do you build around him? What were his strengths as a player, upon which you would wish to capitalize? Personally I can't think of much.

If a guy lacks talent in a particular area, it's natural for him to seek out the lowest difficulty tasks. Those are the things he's least likely to mess up. So you had Edwards' lack of talent as maybe the core of this. Then there was the weakness of his supporting cast, reducing the likelihood of stuff working. Then you had the influence of Dick Jauron: a defensively-oriented HC who abhorred risk.

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

Whitner.  Great at tackling guys after they make a big catch.  

No one mastered the "Backle" better than Whitner.  I lost count of how many times I would watch a running back or WR  drag him five yards, get a first down and then see Whitner jump up and celebrate like he stuffed him for a loss.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, dgrochester55 said:

No one mastered the "Backle" better than Whitner.  I lost count of how many times I would watch a running back or WR  drag him five yards, get a first down and then see Whitner jump up and celebrate like he stuffed him for a loss.

Most frustrating to watch ever for me. And we were treated to hat for years. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

My litmus test for a player is this: did he give what he had while on the field? A guy like Kelvin Benjamin is a clear and obvious no, which is why he was my most frustrating player. I put Leslie Frazier in that category as well. The defenses he called in our playoff losses snuffed out any chance of our players putting up much of a fight. 

There's an argument that Trent Edwards fits into this category as well. But it's not as clear cut. Imagine this scenario. Trent Edwards is in his prime. You're an offensive coordinator, tasked with building an offense around him. Edwards is responding well to hypnosis therapy. Depending what he's told in hypnosis, he can be as cautious or as bold as you want. Great. What kind of an offense do you build around him? What were his strengths as a player, upon which you would wish to capitalize? Personally I can't think of much.

If a guy lacks talent in a particular area, it's natural for him to seek out the lowest difficulty tasks. Those are the things he's least likely to mess up. So you had Edwards' lack of talent as maybe the core of this. Then there was the weakness of his supporting cast, reducing the likelihood of stuff working. Then you had the influence of Dick Jauron: a defensively-oriented HC who abhorred risk.

Yeah Kelvin was there for me too...he bothered me less though as it was clear he would be gone soon as we were about to start a rebuild.  

There is no amount of hypnosis that could have made Trent a good NFL QB.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My original picks, and still my top 2 picks are Trent Edwards and Hackett.

But I have what may be a controversial runner up to Trent as a player...Ryan Fitzpatrick...or as I used to call him when he was our starter...FitzCraptrick, FitzPick, or FitzPickSix.

I think the guy I wanted to be gone the most, maybe even more than Trent (I just respected Trent a LOT less which is why I went with Trent in my top spot), was Fitz.  Let me be clear, I love Fitz now and as a person, and even did back then.  But I LOATHED him on the field...because he was the definition of Purgatory.  

He was not good enough to make us a winner...and he wasn't bad enough for us to lose enough games to get a high pick to draft a real QB prospect.  When we gave him that contract I almost threw up, I was so disgusted by that as I knew it just locked us into 6 to 8 wins a season for the foreseeable future.  His contract removed hope out of not only that season but the subsequent seasons after.  Worse yet, were the Fitz defenders around here who wanted to argue until blue in the face he was a good QB.  

Fitz was a good backup QB, but a poor starting QB...he was the guy who could get hot and win you a couple games (like say Foles did to help Eagles win a SB)...but you were screwed if you needed to lean on him as a long term starter.  And if memory serves me, I think only the Bills were foolish enough to roll with him as their dedicated starter more than 1 season.  

Few other honorable mentions - Players:

• Kelvin Benjamin - Leads the NFL in not caring by a mile...just a fat waste of space.  
  • Zay Jones - My "Calling it now" Zay Jones thread was one for the ages...this guy sucked and I absolutely hated watching him run sloppy route after sloppy route just to drop so many passes when he actually did run a proper route.  He managed to get some marginal year end stats as the team was saddle with trash to throw to, but he sucked and I hated watching him play.  
  • Kyle Orton - This was one of the hardest times to watch Bills football, it was just an awful product on the field.  

Coaches:

• Rex, Juaron, Marrone - I echo all the same sentiments as everyone else on these trash cans.  
  • Frazier - I just couldn't stomach is soft as Charmin defense anymore.  I wanted him gone after 2021 and every offseason there after with how anemic his defense was in big games.  Best part of last offseason was hearing Frazier wasn't coming back.  

I love the gusty take on Fitz.  He really is the definition of QB Purgatory.  I didn’t hate watching him play as much as him being listed as the. No 1 was puzzling.  

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah Kelvin was there for me too...he bothered me less though as it was clear he would be gone soon as we were about to start a rebuild.  

There is no amount of hypnosis that could have made Trent a good NFL QB.

Let's say you were to put me out there and tell me to be an NFL QB. I don't have the talent to be a good QB, or even a plausible QB. Due to my lack of talent, I'd do a lot of the same stuff Trent Edwards did, such as dumping the ball off to the RB.

What I'm saying is that there is a good chance Edwards didn't have the talent or ability to be a successful NFL QB. He compensated by focusing on the stuff which required the least amount of talent. If he's your most frustrating player, then he's your most frustrating player. Nothing wrong with that. What I'm saying is that his problem might not have been cowardice. It might have been that he simply lacked the ability to be successful.

23 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Let's say you were to put me out there and tell me to be an NFL QB. I don't have the talent to be a good QB, or even a plausible QB. Due to my lack of talent, I'd do a lot of the same stuff Trent Edwards did, such as dumping the ball off to the RB.

What I'm saying is that there is a good chance Edwards didn't have the talent or ability to be a successful NFL QB. He compensated by focusing on the stuff which required the least amount of talent. If he's your most frustrating player, then he's your most frustrating player. Nothing wrong with that. What I'm saying is that his problem might not have been cowardice. It might have been that he simply lacked the ability to be successful.

Oh I agree, he wasn't talented enough.  But he also played scared and avoided throws he was capable of making and elected to take safer check down throws.  Then there is the infamous 4th down where he didn't even try and just ran out of bounds to end a game.  

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh I agree, he wasn't talented enough.  But he also played scared and avoided throws he was capable of making and elected to take safer check down throws.  Then there is the infamous 4th down where he didn't even try and just ran out of bounds to end a game.  

Yeah there's truth to this.

Posted (edited)

Vlad Ducasse - he was only on the team because his position coach wanted him and just seem so incompetent. Also somehow the name didn't help - you expected someone name Vlad to be tough.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

This brings back so many bad memories.  There's too many candidates from the Gregg and Dickball eras.  I can't even go there.   

I'll go with a couple of nice fits of anger instead of a player who regularly made me mad.  Nate Clements, knock the ball down.  Bryce Brown, hang on to the ball.  Nathan Hackett, don't throw the ball at the goal line early in the set of downs with Jeff Tuel.  EJ Manuel, hit Stevie Johnson somewhere other than the shins on third down against New England.    

Edited by SectionC3

Posted (edited)

Coach: No contest, Rex!

On game day and any other day, he opened his mouth.

Player: Von (or Aaron Maybin--but I like Aaron as a person, just not as a player); they are one and the same on the field. But both look great coming off the bus.

On 5/27/2024 at 8:45 AM, freddyjj said:

My least favorite Bill of all time has to be Kelvin Benjamin.  Fat, lazy and unmotivated!  

Nor is it a good formula for an NFL receiver.

Edited by CSBill
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.