Who was the one player and one coach that would make you the most mad on gamedays?

Posted (edited)

Trent and Jauron. 

Watching Trent run out of bounds 7 yards shy of the sticks on 4th down after intentionally running out of bounds and taking a 1 yard loss on 3rd down was the most gutless, pathetic thing I have seen on a football field. He would mercifully lose his job to Fitzpatrick after that shameful display in Green Bay.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/300919009

Jauron's whole game plan was to keep the game close enough that we could potentially tie with a last second TD, an onside recovery, and a field goal. He would rather take the sure thing and lose by 7 than try to win and risk losing by 17.

Together, they were a great match.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 2

On 5/27/2024 at 6:46 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Coach: Steve Fairchild. Former OC in 2006-2007. Absolutely zero point in his whole offense. Zero game awareness. He is the only coach that could make Nate Hackett look like a Andy Reid out there. Just a terrible OC.

Player: Jerry Hughes. Like the guy. Disliked the penalties (some deserved some questionable) that he seemed to attract. And strongly disliked the whole "pressures are as good as sacks" argument that would spring up every year.

Fairchild 100%

17 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

1) ...My runner-up would be CJ Spiller. He would get the football and not know which way to run. An absolute, total disaster and the poster boy for a wasted draft pick. 

Good choice.  I still remember where I was when I heard the pick, gassing up on the Thruway returning from a business trip.  I heard CJ Spiller instead of Bryan Bulaga, another in a long line of WTF picks for the drought Bills.  Gadget player instead of a 10 year Pro Bowl RT.  :wallbash:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Good choice.  I still remember where I was when I heard the pick, gassing up on the Thruway returning from a business trip.  I heard CJ Spiller instead of Bryan Bulaga, another in a long line of WTF picks for the drought Bills.  Gadget player instead of a 10 year Pro Bowl RT.  :wallbash:

Had Lynch and Jackson on the roster 😂😂.

• Like (+1) 2

Taiwan Jones. What a waste of a roster spot he was. The last time he touched the ball in a meaningful moment he fumbled a kickoff against the steelers. Luckily Josh bailed us out with a 98 yard TD. I even called it before the ball he would mess it up

Coach: Bobby April. He had this huge emphasis on needing his guys for STs and it left us with virtually no depth. I remember Poz broke his arm and would be out 4-5 games, but they had to IR him to sign someone who could actually play defense. It was week 3!

• Like (+1) 1

Most frustrating player: Kelvin Benjamin. Obviously.

Most frustrating coach: Leslie Frazier. Were there times when Frazier came up with good game plans? Absolutely. No question. But, in our playoff games against the Chiefs and Bengals, he loved using a soft zone/prevent defense. You're simply allowing the other team to make plays, and disallowing your own players from doing anything about it. During Frazier's time here, the Bills defense never generated more than two stops in a playoff game against the Chiefs or Bengals. Very frustrating to see a portion of Allen's Super Bowl opportunities thrown away, due to a catastrophic failure of defensive coaching when it mattered most.

• Like (+1) 2

My original picks, and still my top 2 picks are Trent Edwards and Hackett.

But I have what may be a controversial runner up to Trent as a player...Ryan Fitzpatrick...or as I used to call him when he was our starter...FitzCraptrick, FitzPick, or FitzPickSix.

I think the guy I wanted to be gone the most, maybe even more than Trent (I just respected Trent a LOT less which is why I went with Trent in my top spot), was Fitz.  Let me be clear, I love Fitz now and as a person, and even did back then.  But I LOATHED him on the field...because he was the definition of Purgatory.  

He was not good enough to make us a winner...and he wasn't bad enough for us to lose enough games to get a high pick to draft a real QB prospect.  When we gave him that contract I almost threw up, I was so disgusted by that as I knew it just locked us into 6 to 8 wins a season for the foreseeable future.  His contract removed hope out of not only that season but the subsequent seasons after.  Worse yet, were the Fitz defenders around here who wanted to argue until blue in the face he was a good QB.  

Fitz was a good backup QB, but a poor starting QB...he was the guy who could get hot and win you a couple games (like say Foles did to help Eagles win a SB)...but you were screwed if you needed to lean on him as a long term starter.  And if memory serves me, I think only the Bills were foolish enough to roll with him as their dedicated starter more than 1 season.  

Few other honorable mentions - Players:

• Kelvin Benjamin - Leads the NFL in not caring by a mile...just a fat waste of space.  
  • Zay Jones - My "Calling it now" Zay Jones thread was one for the ages...this guy sucked and I absolutely hated watching him run sloppy route after sloppy route just to drop so many passes when he actually did run a proper route.  He managed to get some marginal year end stats as the team was saddle with trash to throw to, but he sucked and I hated watching him play.  
  • Kyle Orton - This was one of the hardest times to watch Bills football, it was just an awful product on the field.  

Coaches:

• Rex, Juaron, Marrone - I echo all the same sentiments as everyone else on these trash cans.  
  • Frazier - I just couldn't stomach is soft as Charmin defense anymore.  I wanted him gone after 2021 and every offseason there after with how anemic his defense was in big games.  Best part of last offseason was hearing Frazier wasn't coming back.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You're going to have to work very hard to convince Bill from NYC that we would have been better off with a 10 year Pro Bowl RT, than with a gadget RB.

Okay, maybe not all that hard!

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 8:09 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Player is too easy... Cole Beasley. I simply cannot stand to have a whole bunch of BS bleed over into my football, worse than the Taylor Swift nonsense. Hard to have a unified locker room on gamedays when someone is out creating so many distractions. I love it for the Jets, hate it for the Bills.

Coach is Doug Marrone... if you want to just quit on a team that quickly, just go ahead and retire and find another profession. There is no room in the NFL for a quitter unless you're a desperate team trying to find a way out of hell. Never seen a more arrogant and selfish coach for the Bills in my life!

1) Everyone loved Beasley for the first three years that he was here, the problems with him only came after COVID. He said something against the vaccines and failed the NFL COVID protocols. That is it. He was an ideal teammate otherwise. Not a constant distraction comparable to the level of Kelce/Swift.

2) The NFL has murderers, rapists, wife beaters, and addicts.  There are also people who underachieve, quit on their team and are bad teammates.  Not getting the vaccine is a greater moral outrage than any of these?

3) Toxic conformity stopped being trendy more than two years ago.

4) Marrone made you the most mad during the 2013 and 2014 season games, because he unexpectedly resigned from the team after the 2014 season?

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/27/2024 at 10:26 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Go check my thread history.  Weeks BEFORE that game I started a thread when we were 4-0 and said that if Trent Edwarda keeps playing soft like this we will miss the playoffs.  The Cardinals game wasn’t for 2 or 3 more weeks.  We missed the playoffs.  

Edwards was afraid to pull the trigger on the field before that game and after that game.  Those who bought into the mirage of Edwards want to blame the Cardinals game for their bad take, but he was a pedestrian, conservative and safe QB before that game (hence the coward comment) and after that game.  

He was a maddening QB to watch play.  Because we started 4-0 against 4 of the worst teams in the NFL that year people think he was good.  Yet they failed to recognize his production was pedestrian and we won multiple of those games thanks to defensive and special teams TDs leading into the AZ game.  Trent got all this credit despite being pedestrian because our record was good thanks to a squishy easy schedule to open the season several defensive and ST TDs to help us win some of those games.  

He played scared to make a mistake, and that is why I said he played like a coward and he played that way before he got hurt in AZ.

Trent Edwards made a habit of playing behind bad/very bad OLs, both at Stanford and with the Bills. If a player takes enough hits, maybe he gets shell shocked.

The solution to that was supposed to be a West Coast offense. But for a West Coast offense to work, a QB absolutely, 100% has to be able to hit horizontally moving targets in stride. At least based on a video of Trent Edwards in practice, he couldn't. The WRs had to slow down to catch his passes.

At the time the Bills lacked a credible OL. WR was a position of need. The OC was mediocre at best. The HC provided the leadership of, don't take risks, play not to lose. The QB was put in a really bad spot, and lacked the ability to be a good West Coast QB. There are reasons why Trent Edwards turned into a guy who dumped the ball off to stationary targets, such as RBs.

That said, the only time I saw Edwards show any kind of anger or fire in his belly was the following. He was a rookie, and Losman was the starter. A reporter presented the possibility of Edwards starting over Losman. Edwards said that Losman was the starter, and seemed angry the reporter would suggest otherwise. Sometimes you hear, "I'd rather rein in a QB who's too aggressive, versus putting fire into the belly of a QB who isn't aggressive enough." Trent Edwards was an example of the latter.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Trent Edwards made a habit of playing behind bad/very bad OLs, both at Stanford and with the Bills. If a player takes enough hits, maybe he gets shell shocked.

The solution to that was supposed to be a West Coast offense. But for a West Coast offense to work, a QB absolutely, 100% has to be able to hit horizontally moving targets in stride. At least based on a video of Trent Edwards in practice, he couldn't. The WRs had to slow down to catch his passes.

At the time the Bills lacked a credible OL. WR was a position of need. The OC was mediocre at best. The HC provided the leadership of, don't take risks, play not to lose. The QB was put in a really bad spot, and lacked the ability to be a good West Coast QB. There are reasons why Trent Edwards turned into a guy who dumped the ball off to stationary targets, such as RBs.

That said, the only time I saw Edwards show any kind of anger or fire in his belly was the following. He was a rookie, and Losman was the starter. A reporter presented the possibility of Edwards starting over Losman. Edwards said that Losman was the starter, and seemed angry the reporter would suggest otherwise. Sometimes you hear, "I'd rather rein in a QB who's too aggressive, versus putting fire into the belly of a QB who isn't aggressive enough." Trent Edwards was an example of the latter.

To be clear, my coward comment was not so much about him being afraid to get hit...but afraid to make mistakes.  And he was playing that way before getting the concussion against the Cardinals.  Its why is nicknames here were things like "Trentative"..."Captian Checkdown"..."Glove Wearing Merry"...etc.  

He just wasn't tough enough mentally, physically, and didn't have the heart it takes to be a field general out there on Sundays.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dgrochester55 said:

1) Everyone loved Beasley for the first three years that he was here, the problems with him only came after COVID. He said something against the vaccines and failed the NFL COVID protocols. That is it. He was an ideal teammate otherwise. Not a constant distraction comparable to the level of Kelce/Swift.

He didn't just say it once though, did he? He ranted on about it most of the year. I mean it isn't even on my top 10 for most annoying Bills but I see why someone would think so.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dgrochester55 said:

2) The NFL has murderers, rapists, wife beaters, and addicts.  There are also people who underachieve, quit on their team and are bad teammates.  Not getting the vaccine is a greater moral outrage than any of these?

3) Toxic conformity stopped being trendy more than two years ago.

4) Marrone made you the most mad during the 2013 and 2014 season games, because he unexpectedly resigned from the team after the 2014 season?

1. He wasn't an ideal teammate... you seriously need to read some articles from that period before you write revisionist history.

2. Did the Bills have any of those as active players from 1987 to 2024?

3. The question wasn't about trends, FYI.

4. It was the sum total (see "arrogant and selfish coach", the part you glossed over as a part of your agenda), and once again you seem to completely ignore events over that time to harp on the very end as if it never happened.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

Flutie - having to root for that over-hyped, credit stealing, politicking, divisive little prick because he was the QB of the Bills was not fun for me

The Ryans - they're identical, so it counts as one - Wrex's bloviating laziness leading to his predictable failure paired with his idiot twin, who reportedly had a genuine work ethic but unfortunately paired it with not a shred of football sense, made for a duo that I wished had ridden their tandem bike over Niagara Falls

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

1. He wasn't an ideal teammate... you seriously need to read some articles from that period before you write revisionist history.

2. Did the Bills have any of those as active players from 1987 to 2024?

3. The question wasn't about trends, FYI.

4. It was the sum total (see "arrogant and selfish coach", the part you glossed over as a part of your agenda), and once again you seem to completely ignore events over that time to harp on the very end as if it never happened.

1)  I ran a search to make sure that I didn't miss anything, nothing from Beasley besides his stances on the vaccine and failing COVID protocols shows up. Granted, many others with his stances were less outspoken and did not make it a distraction, but calling him the all time worst teammate or frustrating Bill to watch is excessive.

2) Yes, plenty of examples available, but that is not what you are interested in is it?

3) Never said it was. Since you clearly missed the point, I see no sense in trying to explain it.

4) You are projecting your intent on me when you say agenda.  The question was about who frustrated you on game days. The way that you answered the Marrone part of the question made it clear that you were not paying attention to the question and only had one purpose and reason for answering.

I never once gave my opinion on the topic, only pointed out that your answer was ridiculous. There are plenty of other places to talk politics. Take it elsewhere.

Please do not reply. We both have said what we needed.  I am done talking.

Edited by dgrochester55

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.