Who was the one player and one coach that would make you the most mad on gamedays?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

So what you’re saying is Trent Edwards was playing well up until the injury??

He wasn't playing badly. Particularly for a 2nd year guy. He took a few more risks before the injury (7.77 YPA before, which would've put him around 6th highest in the league that year, and 6.95 YPA after, which would've been around 18th), so fewer risks at the same time as he started throwing a ton more INTs (4/2 TD:INT ratio before and 7/8 after) later in the year. 

It may not have been the injury, part of it may well have been just being figured out. But yeah, he played pretty decent before and not nearly so well after.

Edited by Thurman#1

17 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

His first start is statistically the worst first start for a QB in NFL history. 

Add the fact he got three more starts just fuels my anti-McDermott opinions. 

That said you could probably substitute Trentative, Manuel, Losman, and Orton in there as well. All of them sucked the joy out of watching games.  I know many would add TT but I liked his game for what it was worth. He didn't turn the ball over and we had a top 5 scoring offense with him and Roman. Rex just destroyed the Schwartz defense to ruin it. 

All true--and better choices I think.

McD was hell bent on not starting Josh his rookie year.  His "QB competition" in the pre season was a sham. 

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

But it’s only 6 games….he couldn’t have bothered him that much….

I won't toss a drowning man a cinder block...

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Didn't think of him till you said that, because I was thinking purely of on-field, but yeah, Beasley is #2 for me. A distraction, selfish, and all just at the time when his skills were leaving him.

He went from one of my absolute favorites to my most disliked.

But nobody will ever beat out Billy Joe Hobert. Publicly admitted he hadn't read his playbook and wasn't ready to play.

Coach? Rexy. Never thought he was a good pick, but hoped he'd be OK. It became obvious after awhile that he was coasting, I thought. Second-worst? Rauch and Harvey Johnson for not building an offense around OJ Simpson. I mean, you have Simpson on the roster and you keep him returning kicks? Jeez.

Hobert yeah, that was a RIDICULOUS admission to make... made it so easy to give him the boot then!!! Not as bad as what Dusty Ziegler pulled though... if you have a deal and you back out of it, your word means NOTHING. I rooted hard against him after that one when he went to the Giants.

The stories about Rauch and his methods and abrasive attitude are legendary. Had we held onto Daryle and gotten a coach worthy of the job we might have had something cooking.

All of the players and coaches from the 1984 and 1985 teams with the exception of a few players like Bruce, Daryl and I believe Andre was also on the 85 team.

Player: Rob Johnson. Eternally wincing in pain. Just a bummer to watch, and very frustrating, too. 

Coach: I’ll go with OL coach Carl Mauck. Was straight out of central casting for “old school fat OL coach who yells a lot”, so many fans and broadcasters highlighted him for a while. But those Olines sucked, and his only response was to scowl and scream at them. I was over it after a few games. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Coach: Steve Fairchild. Former OC in 2006-2007. Absolutely zero point in his whole offense. Zero game awareness. He is the only coach that could make Nate Hackett look like a Andy Reid out there. Just a terrible OC.

Player: Jerry Hughes. Like the guy. Disliked the penalties (some deserved some questionable) that he seemed to attract. And strongly disliked the whole "pressures are as good as sacks" argument that would spring up every year.

Say what you want about Jerry but he Never took a play off during the darkest Bills years. Unbilleavable drive. Yes he made lots of stupid plays that were incredibly frustrated but he always gave it his all. So he’s actually one of my favorite all time Bills Did a lot of great stuff off the field as well. Too bad he was washed up when Josh got here. 

• Agree 1

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Who was the one player and one coach that would make you the most mad on gamedays?
  • BuffaloBill unpinned this topic

Coach? I can't say. But the player who used to drive me nuts was Rob Johnson when the offense would be moving down the field, get to around the 30 yard line, 3rd down,  Johnson would get pressured, retreat backwards in an attempt to escape, hang on to the ball, get sacked, and take the team out of field goal range. 

Josh has been guilty of that a few times also, but it seemed like a frequent occurrence with Rob.  

• Agree 1

A little soon for me to be talking about this, but for me it was Dennison.  His decision to attempt a pass in a playoff game at the one with about 2 minutes to go, just infuriated me to no end.  And sure enough, everything bad that could happen from that terrible decision pretty much materialized.  I'll get over it eventually.

On 5/27/2024 at 9:46 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Player: Jerry Hughes. Like the guy. Disliked the penalties (some deserved some questionable) that he seemed to attract. And strongly disliked the whole "pressures are as good as sacks" argument that would spring up every year.

There's another version of me in some alternate timeline where all of Jerry's "almost sacks" actually got home and brought the QB down. 

I'm a much happier person in that timeline. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

This list could have dozens of names on it but I'll stay in recent history.

Coach-Leslie Frazier/ Sean McDermott for the 13 seconds debacle and all around pu$$y defense when it needed to be aggressive end of games.

Player- Tremaine Edmunds: physically talented with zero football instincts

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 1

Coach: Dick Jauron - He was the quintessential Ralph Wilson cheapskate move.  He was unimaginative and coupled with the lack of talent on the team lead to miserable football to watch.  He seemed like an honorable and good man though.

Player:  Rob Johnson, no need to revisit all the reason on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

Coach is Jauron.  Just sit there in a comatose state. The gotta be small and fast philosophy.  You could just get big and fast guys with where they picked each year.   Player who made me the most made even though I like them is Fitzpatrick.  Would make the most inexcusable ints.  He got the team to play above their level and the bottom falls out and man did it hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

This list could have dozens of names on it but I'll stay in recent history.

Coach-Leslie Frazier/ Sean McDermott for the 13 seconds debacle and all around pu$$y defense when it needed to be aggressive end of games.

Player- Tremaine Edmunds: physically talented with zero football instincts

Good choices but I Frazier way more than McDermott

• Like (+1) 1

Player: Edwards - 4th down throw out of bounds with the team still in the game

Coach: McD - Wasting Josh Allen's prime with his coach not to lose mentality

I would have gone Jauron here because he is worse in that regard, but Jauron's teams never had a legit chance to win the SB

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.