What is your BEST Bills related memory that doesn't involve a game's result?

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

Here's a story for you.....

First time ever being at the stadium with my wife (back then she was only my girlfriend), however, i had game opener tickets for the Bills against Miami. The game was on the Sunday 1pm, but we showed up in town on the Saturday morning (we're from out of town and decided to make a weekend of it). I drove to Orchard Park on the Saturday morning and we just kind of hung out having a look around at the outside of the stadium, however, there was a gate open (the media were setting up and people were in and out of this gate). My wife and i walked through this open gate (this was long before 9/11) and proceeded to wander around inside the stadium, just checking things out.

I walked onto the 50 yard line and was just taking in the whole scene, when a little old security guard started to shuffle over to us from the end zone. It took him forever to walk out to us and he says, "oh, so you must be the guy who's singing the national anthem tomorrow?.....or are you with the media?".......and i answered that we were from out of town and that we had tickets for the game the next day and we were just checking the place out.

He says to us, "Well, have a look around for another 10 minutes and then make your way out the gate"......and he also says, "if i'm looking this way, i have no idea what's going on in the opposite direction, so if your 10 minutes is an hour, how would i ever know".......then he shuffles away towards the end zone from which he came in the first place.

My wife and i were stunned, however, we wandered around for most of the day, staying away from the direction that the security guard wandered away to. No one stopped us or questioned anything.

We saw everything in that stadium that day.

That was one of the fondest memories i have ever had with the Bills......and it was at the very first Bills game i had ever been to.......and then 9/11 ****ed everything up.

Yeah that's an AMAZING story but I was going to say Good Luck ever getting to experience something like that again in today's world 

On 5/26/2024 at 6:55 AM, Bob in STL said:

Reading this thread, it’s amazing how entrenched the 1960’s era Bills were in this community.   They got the franchise off to a great start and many made an impact here, some stayed in Buffalo a long time.  

There has to be a few funny Paul McGuire stories out there somewhere?   

I saw an old friend at a wedding recently for the first time in forever. One of the first things he tells me (knowing I’m a big Bills fan) is that his routine at home in Charleston, SC is a weekly poker game complete with cigars that includes Paul Maguire. I didn’t realize Maguire went to the Citadel, so it’s kind of home to him. My buddy says he’s a great guy, and the stories are hysterical! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/24/2024 at 6:52 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, my question is this. What is your fondest memory involving the Bills that is NOT a result of what happened on the field?

There are many, but this one came to mind first:

I took a road trip with a buddy to Houston, to watch JP Losman and Lee Evans put on a show on the field, to secure a win against the Texans.  After the game, I went down close to the field and joined a group of Bills fans cheering on our victorious visiting team.  I struck up a conversation with a woman next to me, and when the crowd started to die down, she and her husband started walking away, and she told me to follow them.

It turned out that she was Melvin Fowler's mother, and she brought me down to the family section, where the team was coming out of the stadium to get on the bus. She introduced me to a bunch of players and their families, I got some autographs on my hat, and had a really cool experience in general.  

I have since been fortunate enough to do this a couple of more times, through other connections, but that first time was so random, that it most memorable.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

I was at a Chicago White Sox playoff game in 2000, Chris Berman & Rick Sutcliffe were the announcers. It was a day game, and we had a skybox. We stayed late after the game, enjoying the free beer & hanging out in the box. When we were finally told we had to leave, we were the only people left in the hallway, and were waiting for the elevator. Berman & Sutcliffe walked out of the booth right next to us & were headed to the private staff elevator, so we started talking to them. Berman was awesome, but Sutcliffe seemed annoyed talking to a group of drunk guys.

As they were getting on their elevator, somebody in our group asked Berman who was gonna win the SuperBowl, and he said the Raiders. I said " but you said Buffalo was gonna was gonna win it a few weeks ago" (which he did). He said "yeah, but..." and the elevator closed.

20+ years later, I still wonder what Berman was gonna say from time to time.

Edited by 947
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was playing in a band in Rochester…I met a very attractive girl on our set break who showed me her nipple rings in the back room and asked me if Id spend the night with her. 
I told her I couldn’t because we were going to the bills game in the morning lol. 
Threw her away for Alex Van Pelt 🤣

Idiot.

• Haha (+1) 2

Once I passed Jim Kelly at a Barnes and Noble as he was walking to the autograph table. I said "Hey, Jim" and he said "Hey, I like your shirt. I would never fool with the Dips, ya dig?" 

On 5/24/2024 at 9:51 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

They are at the corner of Jefferson and Best. They left just the 4 gates that were at the corners of War Memorial. They took down the rest of the original stadium.

Screenshot-2024-05-24-23-49-58-23-3d9111

My fondest memory is walking through those gates with my dad for the first time.

I was about 10 and my dad took me to my first Bills game (just us 2 without my older brothers).

The noise, the people, the sounds of guys selling programs and smell of stale beer.

I was in awe and hooked for a lifetime.

Thanks Dad!

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/24/2024 at 8:49 PM, HOUSE said:

Nope, it was at the Lord Baltimore and Ralph Wilson saw my Bills coat than asked if I wanted to sit with them

I didn't say no...

Sir Lord Baltimore 

3 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I was playing in a band in Rochester…I met a very attractive girl on our set break who showed me her nipple rings in the back room and asked me if Id spend the night with her. 
I told her I couldn’t because we were going to the bills game in the morning lol. 
Threw her away for Alex Van Pelt 🤣

Idiot.

Hey man, titties are temporary, tuddies are forever 

• Haha (+1) 2

Probably just getting to go to the Divisional Round game against the Ravens in general, regardless of the fact that we won.

My first ever NFL playoff game, and what a surreal experience it was.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

There are many, but this one came to mind first:

I took a road trip with a buddy to Houston, to watch JP Losman and Lee Evans put on a show on the field, to secure a win against the Texans.  After the game, I went down close to the field and joined a group of Bills fans cheering on our victorious visiting team.  I struck up a conversation with a woman next to me, and when the crowd started to die down, she and her husband started walking away, and she told me to follow them.

It turned out that she was Melvin Fowler's mother, and she brought me down to the family section, where the team was coming out of the stadium to get on the bus. She introduced me to a bunch of players and their families, I got some autographs on my hat, and had a really cool experience in general.  

I have since been fortunate enough to do this a couple of more times, through other connections, but that first time was so random, that it most memorable.

I went to an NCAA hoops Tournament in Orlando to see my Xavier team play the first two rounds.  I got my ticket from a guy on the message board and apparently he’s been a BIG donor forever. I was sitting right behind the President of the school, and in the middle of all the families and biggest donors. You don’t know who all these people are, but they all seem to know each other.  [EDIT: I was on the aisle too. Everyone around says he gets nothing but the best!] 

I became friendly with several people, including a couple who turned out to be the parents of our star player. We had a blast at the game, then we all went back to the bars to kill a keg and a ton of wings. I only sat thru AAU and high school basketball. I have no idea how they remained so calm and personable while their son was playing in the NCAA tournament before countless scouts. They were a BLAST and enjoyed the game in a way that was different from the rest of us.

Their son sniffed the NBA, and is still playing in Italy at the age of 29. Not a bad way to start out your adult life.

That was my best Xavier basketball story, kind of a bonus…..whether you like it or not.  Sorry.      😋  

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

My brother was born in Buffalo, but we moved to New England shortly after.  He had never been to a Bills game.  3 years ago, He, me, and my Father had incredible Buffalo weekend- Schwabls, Cajun honey wings, mighty taco….and the Bills game! 
Once we got to tailgate, my brother was happy as can be.  He wore his jersey proudly, but could have used another layer- it was cold.  My brother didn’t care, he had perma grin.  He was so happy to be hanging with Bills Mafia!  

so seeing my 40 year old brother at his first Bills game, with his brother and father, and the pure joy it brought him, I will always remember 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Partying at the airport the night we broke the drought. I skipped a NYE party with my then-girlfriend (now wife) to be there. We had so much fun, we all took pictures with the players driving by (my buddy got a pic with Shady McCoy, I got one with Nate Peterman...so it goes). A magical night. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.