Mack Hollins in the Locker Room

17 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Good heavens. 

If your point is that every one of these WRs was brought in to fill some role as a... WR, then, uh... I guess I agree with you(?). But, if you're still trying to sell some point that all of these guys were brought in to fill the same role that Hollins will likely fill (which again, is a #4-#6 situational WR, and core ST, with the bonus of being a leader on the practice field) then you're still wrong.

I can't make the point any more clearly.  Sorry man, tried to help.

Hollins will be gone in a year.

On 5/24/2024 at 5:24 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I mentioned upthread that I don't personally adhere to the perspective of one WR "replacing" another... Every receiver group is unique, and each receiver offers their own value to the group (and I assume you would agree with that?), but I don't agree with your assessment of Sherfield, or Harty.

I think Harty just wasn't a good fit for the Bills, beyond his return abilities (which were quite valuable, frankly). I'll bet that if Daboll were still our OC, Harty would have been much more productive, and probably still a Bill. 

Trent Sherfield was a situational player that really wasn't used to his strengths (beyond being a "locker room guy"), outside of his blocking ability, which was... not bad (i suppose)... I honestly think he was culled for his "character," as much as his ability-- something Beane/McD take quite seriously (which I like, btw).

Not for nothing, both of these players are still in the NFL.

Your post did get me thinking though... In some ways, last season was more of a transition season than this one. We changed our identity as a team, first with the Dorsey experiment, and then with Brady. We shifted away from Diggs before the end of the season, shifted away from players like Harty (McKenzie light?), and established a more balanced approach. And at the end of the season, we started to look towards players that Allen would feel comfortable with-- not the OC du jour. This latest draft, and FA would suggest this, no? It wasn't a better version of McKenzie, or Harty, or Sherfield, or even Diggs we were missing. It was the big bodied, sure handed, bruising athletes that can "get the ball, or nobody gets it..." (Allen's words), right?

I'm excited as hell for this season. Whatever happens with our thin defense notwithstanding, this Bills' offense is not going to get pushed around.

GO BILLS!

(and, yo.... lay off the birds!!!)

Interesting post.  (One of the things I like about this message board is the different perspectives of all the diehard Bills and Football fans in general on here that I get to read.)  I will agree that Harty's big punt return for a TD at Miami on the final night of the regular season was a huge play.  Maybe you are right about Daboll being more creative with using Harty then Dorsey and Brady were.  I think Sherfield was totally forgettable.  (He made one play all season)  

Character is great.  (I like the people that work for me to have it.)  But you still need to be good at whatever you do in addition to having character.  Character plus ability is what really counts.

But what I like that you said the most is that you are excited as hell for this season.  I am too!  With a lot of new faces, and a lot of big time games on the schedule, this is going to be a real fun year.

• Like (+1) 1

Hollins is a solid glue guy role player. He is able to contribute enough on the field in his special teams role while also being a decent backup WR. But he's a well respected leader off the field and an experienced vet in his own right. Given the Bills special teams struggles last year having a ST ace on the roster is a solid addition. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Hollins is a solid glue guy role player. He is able to contribute enough on the field in his special teams role while also being a decent backup WR. But he's a well respected leader off the field and an experienced vet in his own right. Given the Bills special teams struggles last year having a ST ace on the roster is a solid addition. 

I get where you are coming from, but look at what Josh did for WR stats once they started playing with him.

I think Hollins has a hell of a year.

• Agree 1

On 5/24/2024 at 6:31 AM, stevestojan said:

I sees couple comments on this so thought I’d chime in: The “birds aren’t real movement” is a direct mockery of all the nutso conspiracy theories that have cropped up over the last several years. The guy who started it did such a good job making fun of people with this that some folks think it’s actually a “real” conspiracy theory (as much of an oxymoron as that sentence is). 

quite hilarious in my opinion. 

Birds Aren't Real is a satirical conspiracy theory which posits that birds are actually drones operated by the United States government to spy on American citizens”

Conversely, I’ve never seen a dinosaur so maybe they didn’t exist? 

#sarcasm

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I get where you are coming from, but look at what Josh did for WR stats once they started playing with him.

Is Hollins capable of having a hell of a year:  Yes, he did it with Carr in Oakland.  

But will he here this year:  Doubtful.

The reason:  Target counts.  There are only so many balls to go around.  Bills had 545 targets last year with Diggs getting 160.

Keon, Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, and the RB's will eat up enough targets that will probably only leave about 80 to 100 targets at most for the group of Knox, Hollins, Claypool, and MVS.  

I like the Hollins addition, and I think he has a great chance to me the roster based on his blocking and ST ability and he isn't a "throw away" at WR like say Kumerow was.  But I do think he might have more of that Kumerow role where he is primarily a ST guy or comes in on bigger packages rather than be a guy who puts up a statistical season here that would qualify as a "hell of a year" unless injuries created opportunities for him.  

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I thought the same thing about Sherfield last year so we will see. But I think all Hollins has to do is just be a ST ace and the rest should be a bonus.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/27/2024 at 10:24 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Kerley joined a room that also included  Robert Foster in 2018...were Kerley and Pryor brought in for ST?

You know that I clearly wrote why they were brought in, in the post you're responding to?

I stopped reading right there.

On 5/24/2024 at 7:00 AM, billsfanmiamioh said:

I have one of the t shirts 😂. “Bird Drones of North America”. It’s supposed to look like a field guide with a bunch of different types of birds, or excuse me, drones… 

https://birdsarentreal.com

I don't know why I clicked that link.  I'll give them credit for creativity but that is some coo coo crazy town stuff right there.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.