Caleb Williams is off to a rough rookie start

On 5/25/2024 at 10:31 PM, Billl said:

The USC QBs who have flamed out have all been golden boys.  Caleb’s not in that mold.

What do you mean by golden boys? 

On 5/28/2024 at 3:56 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Even 6'1 isn't even super short... Bryce young is 5'10, Kyler Murray is 5'10... THAT'S SHORT... he just isn't really tall

He's taller than Baker Mayfield, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson.. taller than Vick and Tua he's a little smaller than DeShaun Watson yet plays stronger than him

He also was 218 lb at the pro day... Is definitely going to be playing around 220 in his career

and has 9 7/8 hand size bigger than mahomes 

You also didn't address my comment of how he is the strongest quarterback in the pocket in the draft... Measurables are great... But how strong you play in the pocket also determines a lot 

And he is vastly stronger in the pocket than Drake Maye ,Daniels and every other quarterback in the class

So you say he's small yet he is the strongest in the pocket and shakes off more sacks than everybody in draft 

Kyler Murray is a tiny quarterback.. Caleb Williams isn't huge but he is very strong has a cannon and mobile 

That's the modern NFL quarterback

Let's see how he processes the game, especially against NFL DCs. There's a lot of "modern" NFL QBs that bust. He's got a lot of weapons so we'll know soon enough of he's all that.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, finn said:

What do you mean by golden boys? 

They were all California kids who grew up in wealthy areas, went to elite High Schools, and were groomed since adolescence to be the next big thing.  Look at Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez’s careers since they left USC.  Both were terrible in the pros but went on to get gigs in the studios because they had the looks and the pedigrees.

Edited by Billl
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/24/2024 at 12:28 PM, PBF81 said:

ROFLMAO ... my eyes are tearing!  LOL   

Sapp & Washington ... BWAHAHA 

Malarkey:  "Drew?"  

Bledsoe:   "AHHH!"  

Malarkey:  "Right."  

LOL  

Bledsoe's arms down to his knees.  LOL  

Les Mess, Harry Sphincter, Bill Spleen.  I forget the other names.  

I'm dyin' from laughter here.  

McD's favorite QB.  Best not to bring that up.  LOL  

Peterman should be considered with higher regard in Bills history, his awful, terrible play gave Josh a way earlier opportunity 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billl said:

They were all California kids who grew up in wealthy areas, went to elite High Schools, and were groomed since adolescence to be the next big thing.  Look at Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez’s careers since they left USC.  Both were terrible in the pros but went on to get gigs in the studios because they had the looks and the pedigrees.

So many more that flame out at power 5 schools too. High school quarterbacking in Southern California is big business. 

5 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Let's see how he processes the game, especially against NFL DCs. There's a lot of "modern" NFL QBs that bust. He's got a lot of weapons so we'll know soon enough of he's all that.

Of course and I'm usually very against them 

I was not high on Justin fields, I was not high on Bryce Young 

But I saw Caleb Williams in high school... I saw him live at Oklahoma and at USC .. I've been watching him play since he was in high school 

And his talent has me sold... The only scary thing is going to the bears who haven't developed a quarterback they've drafted in 50 years

But he's one of the more polished quarterbacks I've seen in 15 years

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course and I'm usually very against them 

I was not high on Justin fields, I was not high on Bryce Young 

But I saw Caleb Williams in high school... I saw him live at Oklahoma and at USC .. I've been watching him play since he was in high school 

And his talent has me sold... The only scary thing is going to the bears who haven't developed a quarterback they've drafted in 50 years

But he's one of the more polished quarterbacks I've seen in 15 years

We'll see.

On 6/2/2024 at 2:31 PM, JerseyBills said:

Peterman should be considered with higher regard in Bills history, his awful, terrible play gave Josh a way earlier opportunity 

LOL, indeed.  But Allen at 7th overall he shouldn't have.  Remember too, McD said that Peterman gave us the best chances of winning.  LOL  

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, indeed.  But Allen at 7th overall he shouldn't have.  Remember too, McD said that Peterman gave us the best chances of winning.  LOL  

To be fair, after that 72 yard passing performance from Tyrod, I was up for them trying just about anything at that point. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

To be fair, after that 72 yard passing performance from Tyrod, I was up for them trying just about anything at that point. 

But not Allen who was drafted 7th overall?   ... and over Peterman who had done nothing special at Pitt?  

Edited by PBF81

On 6/2/2024 at 2:31 PM, JerseyBills said:

Peterman is still in the NFL and is 30 years old now.  That's crazy to me.

I know he's sucked on the field but teams still like to have him on the roster.  He will be a coach in about 5 years.

Then head coach in about 10.  

On 5/23/2024 at 10:09 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know he’s just getting used to the NFL but I always thought this talk of Caleb being this once in 5 year kinda talent was little off. Everytime I saw him go against a defense with a pulse in college he struggled. Hopefully that isn’t the case for the Bears sake.

What was his 40 time that’s the only thing that really matters 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

But not Allen who was drafted 7th overall?   ... and over Peterman who had done nothing special at Pitt?  

Didn’t he beat Clemson ? 

On 5/24/2024 at 5:21 AM, DJB said:

Remember when Chase couldn’t catch a football a few years ago? 

This is nothing to even worry about the kid will be fine 

This ^^^ Or he could be Jamarcus Russel 2.0 

time will tell 

On 5/23/2024 at 8:09 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know he’s just getting used to the NFL but I always thought this talk of Caleb being this once in 5 year kinda talent was little off. Everytime I saw him go against a defense with a pulse in college he struggled. Hopefully that isn’t the case for the Bears sake.

Two things...one for him, and one against him:

1. Reports were that Patrick Mahomes was looking bad and throwing a lot of picks during the offseason leading up to his first starting season.  Obviously those early reports meant nothing and he lit the league up and hasn't stopped since.  So I would caution anyone over analyzing anything going on right now.  Jamar Chase was also reportedly dropping passes everywhere his rookie camp and then blew up as a rookie.  
  2. Coming into the draft I have not been on the Caleb bandwagon, I think he is overrated just like I kept telling everyone Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen were overrated leading up to those drafts and thought both had high bust potential.  Darnold just made so many head scratching or bad decisions at USC that I was shocked his hype was so high.  Rosen was so unlikable that I just felt his ceiling was Jeff George/Jay Cutler and his floor was Ryan Leaf.  I know several people who knew Rosen and every one of them couldn't stand him and said he was a total douche and didn't take football seriously.

But why Caleb - I question if he has the "it" factor.  Im not saying he will be a bust, but I definitely don't think he is a sure thing like so many seem to think.  Its more than his suspect play in some big games...it's just something about him just makes me doubt his ability to be the leader a QB needs to be to get to a higher level in the NFL.  I actually think Maye has a higher ceiling than Caleb, just also has more risk and a lower floor than Caleb.   

I don't dislike Caleb like I did Rosen, its more similar to how I felt about Darnold where I understood the high draft status, but still have concerns and doubts he can live up to the hype and potential.  Rosen on the other hand I was certain would be a bust, I wanted no part of him whatsoever.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its more than his suspect play in some big games...it's just something about him just makes me doubt his ability to be the leader a QB needs to be to get to a higher level in the NFL.

I only ever had the chance to watch him play one time; he was utterly confused and flat out scared because of it.

I don't know if he played with that kind of fear regularly but it was bad enough in the one game I saw that he would have been so far down my draft board that he might as well have been off it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually think Maye has a higher ceiling than Caleb, just also has more risk and a lower floor than Caleb.   

I think Maye has the highest ceiling too. But his floor is out of the NFL by the end of year 3. It is boom and bust a projection as you can get. 

• Agree 1

Check out Nick Wright's top 5 QB's. Not that anyone cares but to have Williams at 5 when he hasn't proven himself yet is a weird selection.

Dov Kleiman on X: "Nick Wright’s Top 5 #NFL QBs: 1) #Chiefs Patrick Mahomes 2) #Bills Josh Allen 3) #Bengals Joe Burrow 4) #Texans C.J. Stroud 5) #Bears Caleb Williams Thoughts? 🤔 https://t.co/MOrb00oiMC" / X

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, boyst said:

Do you not know what this term means? Wow

Maybe he’s never heard of:

Matt Barkley

Sam Darnold

Mark Sanchez

Matt Leinart

Rob Johnson

Carson Palmer was ok, just too fragile

These guys would’ve fit better on a Baywatch set than a football field. 

Edited by Saint Doug
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.