Stefan Diggs Skips OTA Texans

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

They might be thinking more of what Beasley did for Josh’s development. 

Beasley only had a couple years left in the tank when he came to Buffalo, but he was still good enough to help with Josh’s development and giving him a high percentage catch target. He was great here for two years, before becoming a supreme douche who’d lost too many steps.

I digress … 

Maybe Diggs has agreed to be more of a “move the chains” guy with the Texans. 

Diggs was brought into Buffalo after Josh developed into a QB who could properly utilize a (then) true WR1. 

I honestly don’t know crap about the Texans’ WR corps, but if they’re leaning on Diggs to be their undisputed WR1, then they will get what they deserve. 

He ain’t that no mo. 

Interesting points you raise.

So yes, Beasley was brought to B'lo to be that football-smart sure handed outlet who can move the chains.  And he really exceeded expectations.  But he was paid like a "good enough" guy - $7.25M AAV, 4 year $29M with $10M guaranteed at signing and the initial year cap hits being $5.6M-ish.  That's "savvy vet with good hands who has shown he can bring in 500-600 yds and 30+ 1D on the regular.

That's Curtis Samuel type expectations and $$ - Samuel $8M AAV, 3 year $24M, $13 guaranteed at signing is the "inflation corrected" Bease $$, and Samuel has been that "count on him for 600 yds and 30+ 1D guy" for two teams.

That's what you pay a "move the chains" type guy.

Diggs with the Texans, on the other hand, is a paradox wrapped in an enigma IMO.  They are NOT paying him like a "move the chains" guy: $22.5M is #16 in NFL.

BUT, the Texans #1 last year was Nico Collins, and his connection with Stroud should only get better.  80 receptions and 1300 yds last year on 109 targets.  They also have Tank Dell, who was injured last year but did very well (don't know how far along he is in rehab).

Greg Cosell said "the Texans aren't bringing Diggs in as a #1 WR".  Maybe so, Greg, but they're paying him like one, like their "big splash" offensive addition who can take them to the next level, their Ja'Maar Chase to the Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd.

So there you have it: the Texans are either planning to lean on Diggs as their #1 (the $$ say so), or, they're not (Cosell says the film says so)

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

During yesterdays game, all ready getting animated with CJ Stoud, apparently did not get targeted and not happy. Good luck Houston!

I don’t hate Stroud for any reason, but I sure hope Diggs shows his true colors. Let the world know who you are (again), Stef. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t hate Stroud for any reason, but I sure hope Diggs shows his true colors. Let the world know who you are (again), Stef. 

I get that he might hurt the feelings of millennials from time to time but perhaps we shouldn’t judge him show harshly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwGiew2sSwk

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I get that he might hurt the feelings of millennials from time to time but perhaps we shouldn’t judge him show harshly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwGiew2sSwk

We all know he does cool things with kids, especially in the stadium and in very public ways. That’s all great. That does not negate the problem he can be in team chemistry. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

We all know he does cool things with kids, especially in the stadium and in very public ways. That’s all great. That does not negate the problem he can be in team chemistry. 

Well a quick read of this thread and others run him down in a very harsh way.  And the MOST anyone can point to is him being demanding of teammates.  Boo hoo for the poor fragile kids he’s playing with.  Spoiler alert:  if those kids don’t get a thicker skin, this team will not progress.  Taking away someone who is pushing them is a bold strategy Cotton.  Let’s see how it works out for them.

• Eyeroll 2

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well a quick read of this thread and others run him down in a very harsh way.  And the MOST anyone can point to is him being demanding of teammates.  Boo hoo for the poor fragile kids he’s playing with.  Spoiler alert:  if those kids don’t get a thicker skin, this team will not progress.  Taking away someone who is pushing them is a bold strategy Cotton.  Let’s see how it works out for them.

This is distorting why some wee annoyed with Diggs:

*  There are effective and not effective ways to be "demanding of teammates".  Diggs approach appeared to be counterproductive doing more damage then actually getting your teammates to play better.

*  Diggs himself under performed in the playoffs.  I believe that he had only 2 TD catches in 9 playoff games with the Bills.  Even more alarming was that during the last two seasons (2022 &2023) Diggs production fell off sharply later in the season after starting on fire during September & October.  Diggs appeared to be the Tua/Dolphins of WR's here.

• Disagree 1

55 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How it turns out is not simply a matter of Diggs or no Diggs.  There are countless factors, and if we disappoint he’s one of many things to look to. His personality wears thin. Everybody wants to win. Does he want to win more than Josh? 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

For a guy who "pushes them" and demands a lot, he sure seems to disappear during the most crucial times in the playoffs.  

Especially when there is film blatantly showing him not running full speed on routes.

Pretty hypocritical if you ask me 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

How it turns out is not simply a matter of Diggs or no Diggs.  There are countless factors, and if we disappoint he’s one of many things to look to. His personality wears thin. Everybody wants to win. Does he want to win more than Josh? 

I definitely agree that if we disappoint it isn’t just a matter of Diggs/no Diggs.  But this is a Diggs thread so…..

I think the homerism on the board prevents a fair look at the situation from multiple angles.  Diggs may very well have worn out his welcome with Josh in particular but doesn’t that run both ways?  Josh’s “gee I’m just a big friendly Golden Retriever” style might have worn thin on Diggs too.  Doesn’t it work both ways?  Shouldn’t that be on both of them?  I 1000000% understand that the Bills should never give up Josh because there is too much talent and potential there. I think Josh wants to win and he gives it his all on the field, but he is not always prepared and when he does lose it doesn’t seem to bother him.  Losing bothers Diggs.  Josh needs to commit to winning, not just wish for it.  

Re-watch the Shakir clutch TD in the late 3rd against KC in the playoffs.  Does Diggs’ reaction look like that if a bad teammate to you?  

13 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I definitely agree that if we disappoint it isn’t just a matter of Diggs/no Diggs.  But this is a Diggs thread so…..

I think the homerism on the board prevents a fair look at the situation from multiple angles.  Diggs may very well have worn out his welcome with Josh in particular but doesn’t that run both ways?  Josh’s “gee I’m just a big friendly Golden Retriever” style might have worn thin on Diggs too.  Doesn’t it work both ways?  Shouldn’t that be on both of them?  I 1000000% understand that the Bills should never give up Josh because there is too much talent and potential there. I think Josh wants to win and he gives it his all on the field, but he is not always prepared and when he does lose it doesn’t seem to bother him.  Losing bothers Diggs.  Josh needs to commit to winning, not just wish for it.  

Re-watch the Shakir clutch TD in the late 3rd against KC in the playoffs.  Does Diggs’ reaction look like that if a bad teammate to you?  

Respectfully disagree—I think Josh is hyper competitive and hates losing! Above is just one example…

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well, Diggs has worn out his welcome on two different teams now. It’s not hard to fathom he’ll do it again in Houston. Maybe he will be on his best behavior with a new contract looming though.

8 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Well, Diggs has worn out his welcome on two different teams now. It’s not hard to fathom he’ll do it again in Houston. Maybe he will be on his best behavior with a new contract looming though.

Diggs saw things in Minn leading him to believe they wouldn’t win a championship.   He was right.  He still has a good relationship with Cousins, etc.

Diggs saw things in Buffalo he perceived to be holding them back from a championship.  Was he right again?

15 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Respectfully disagree—I think Josh is hyper competitive and hates losing! Above is just one example…

Well in that game we lost because he channeled Joe Pisarcik on a victory formation play then threw a game ending pick.  That’s an outlier.

17 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

people can also point to him trying to leave the stadium prematurely after the Cinci playoff loss. That’s being a poor teammate and much worse than just demanding more of teammates.  

you state that kids need thicker skin, but Diggs needs to have more self control and grow up.  Trying to storm out of the stadium is akin to throwing a tantrum.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Diggs saw things in Minn leading him to believe they wouldn’t win a championship.   He was right.  He still has a good relationship with Cousins, etc.

Diggs saw things in Buffalo he perceived to be holding them back from a championship.  Was he right again?

He probably wont hang around long enough to ask him; poor Stefan, so misunderstood!

16 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

For a guy who "pushes them" and demands a lot, he sure seems to disappear during the most crucial times in the playoffs.  

Especially when there is film blatantly showing him not running full speed on routes.

Pretty hypocritical if you ask me 

And dissappear post game, totally unacceptable, especially as a Captain 

• Agree 1