Stefan Diggs Skips OTA Texans

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Article in todays BN makes me think the biggest rift was between Diggs and Brady.  He didn't like the direction the offense was going in, article kind of supports that too.  Think he just kept sulking more and more each week late last year.,  I'd imagine Diggs and Brady talked in off season tying to get Diggs to buy in, wasn't happening so figured best to trade him.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-stefon-diggs-josh-allen-nfl-houston-texans/article_2e5188b6-22ab-11ef-bbe8-6782a08e6066.html

This might be true.  I don’t know.  But I know the other stuff to be true, and that Diggs was an enormous headache that they were tired of dealing with. 

• Like (+1) 1

There may be some truth to this --- BUT it does not explain the meltdown he had (resulting in McD sending him home) at the start of last season's training camp. Or the meltdown in the playoff game against Cinci. Or the reported altercation between him and Josh after the Jets loss in Week 1. All of these events happened well before Brady took over as OC.

I have always said that Diggs played a significant role in Josh's maturation as a QB. It wasn't until Diggs joined the Bills in 2020 (Josh's third season) that Josh even recorded his first 300-yard game, and Josh did that in Diggs' first game as a Bill. The very next game Josh recorded his first 400-yard game. I will always be grateful for the great things that Diggs did as a Bill. He had some fantastic catches that helped win games -- the first catch late in the game against Detroit comes to mind.

But his antics - tantrums, finger-pointing, etc. grew tiresome. I wish him no ill, but I think (hope) that Josh (and the rest of the team) will have a much less stressful time without the drama. We just need other WRs on the the team to seize the opportunity to step up, as Diggs is vacating 100+ receptions a year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

You know that had nothing to do with the OC, right? His decline started when Dorsey was still in charge. For whatever reason his level of play just slowly fell off a cliff...

Weeks 3-6 he had 4 100 yard games in a row. He had 6 catches and over 5 yards every game until the DEN game followed by Dorsey being fired. After that he only had 6 catches twice and over 50 yards twice. The slowly following off a cliff was after Dorsey not before. Its convenient to say it was all Diggs but the numbers would support that the switch to Brady had more to do with it. Look at Allen's numbers. So I guess that has nothing to do with the OC either? 

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah he was on pace the over 1400 yards which would have been 2nd highest of his career and was on pace for the most TD's of his career during the 10 games under Dorsey.  Which is why I never felt he was "washed" like some did, I think it was just the different styles under Dorsey and Brady.  But, my biggest issue with Diggs is his lack of playoff production over his 4 years.

Its convenient and makes people feel better to say he is washed. No one is saying Allen is washed and his numbers dropped off as well. If not for his running things would be a lot different. The passing game disappeared in the majority of Brady games. Hopefully that changes this year or its gonna get wild around here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

This might be true.  I don’t know.  But I know the other stuff to be true, and that Diggs was an enormous headache that they were tired of dealing with. 

Do you want your #1 WR to not want the ball? I dont know man. I dont want my number 1 to be the guy thats like, dont worry I am good blocking or being a decoy, pulling coverage away from guys. You want your number one to an alpha. Throw me the damn ball. 

See new posts

Conversation

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout

#Bills weren't getting a WR of the caliber of Stefon Diggs at 22 overall. Vikings now have 22 and 25 overall to address needs.

lol--remember this?.

take a seat, "Matt Miller"

Benjamin Allbright

@AllbrightNFL

Bills had scouted some WRs for an early pick, came away less than thrilled. Getting Diggs is plug and play. No learning curve like with rookie WR. Bill's feel they're in window with Allen on rookie deal.

can you imagine Jefferson as a Bill since rookie?  Bills scouts and WR prospects are a bad mix...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I knew there was something between them but I didn't think at this level.  

Being that we ate that much dead cap and Allen stated they had a text exchange after the trade....the rift was bigger than I originally thought.  If you're close with someone, you don't text goodbye.  You at least call or meet up in person.

There was someone on social media, probably one of the Bills podcast guys that showed when Diggs came back to the huddle after the KC drop and said something to Allen.  Allen rolled his eyes and shook his head....whatever Diggs said annoyed Allen.  

Wonder what Allen said when he missed Diggs by 5 yards for 90+ yard TD catches against Miami and Pittsburgh in back to back weeks. 

Really have to wonder if Josh connects on those two passes if the entire narrative is different. Go back and watch the games. Josh was misfiring to Diggs a lot. Diggs played great in the week 17 game against Miami. 

Water under the bridge now and it's time to move on. That said Diggs' production with Stroud vs Allen's production with his new group of pass catchers will be a closely followed topic early in the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wonder what Allen said when he missed Diggs by 5 yards for 90+ yard TD catches against Miami and Pittsburgh in back to back weeks. 

Really have to wonder if Josh connects on those two passes if the entire narrative is different. Go back and watch the games. Josh was misfiring to Diggs a lot. Diggs played great in the week 17 game against Miami. 

Water under the bridge now and it's time to move on. That said Diggs' production with Stroud vs Allen's production with his new group of pass catchers will be a closely followed topic early in the season. 

Allen was missing Diggs deep all year.  All year I was thinking its going to be ironic when Allen finally puts it on the money and its dropped.  Allen's mechanics were shaky much of the year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Weeks 3-6 he had 4 100 yard games in a row. He had 6 catches and over 5 yards every game until the DEN game followed by Dorsey being fired. After that he only had 6 catches twice and over 50 yards twice. The slowly following off a cliff was after Dorsey not before. Its convenient to say it was all Diggs but the numbers would support that the switch to Brady had more to do with it. Look at Allen's numbers. So I guess that has nothing to do with the OC either? 

Its convenient and makes people feel better to say he is washed. No one is saying Allen is washed and his numbers dropped off as well. If not for his running things would be a lot different. The passing game disappeared in the majority of Brady games. Hopefully that changes this year or its gonna get wild around here. 

Yeah, its like when 2 people break up...its easier to try and find things to hate to move on.  Its human nature.  The fact was that Diggs play tailed off because his usage completely changed under Brady, not because at 30 he was suddenly a washed player.  

But, end of the day...I am glad we traded him now where we could still get a 2nd round pick for him.  Another season and a 3rd or 4th would have been best case scenario, especially if he wasn't seeing 160 targets here in the way Brady wants to run the offense.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

This is just a guess, but I suspect he was named a captain to try to calm him down a little bit. 

Now, on the other hand, I can say with near certainty that he was a major malcontent at least last year.  Chronic lateness, special parking spot to help him be less late, arguments over stupid things like his makeup, bad interactions with law enforcement (he's simply a jerk; nothing violent or criminal, at least to my knowledge), stopped talking to Cook altogether at one point last year, broken relationship with Allen.  And this is just what I've heard about.  Best for both sides that he's gone. 

See above.  All of that stuff is 2023. 

Thanks for this post.

Personally, I just can't see McD risking his locker room to just calm him down, but certainly that is a possibility and something we will probably never have an answer about.  Having been in locker rooms, I just think for him to be a Captain that they had to at least feel comfortable at that time with where things were at, that Allen and Diggs were on at least professional terms and not at each others throats.  McD and Beane are too big on culture and that locker room to risk it if things were at that time ugly between them.  That is also just of course my opinion based on who McD and Beane are.  

I don't disagree that its best for both sides he isn't here this year at all.  And this info here is not public info, so this is the first I am hearing about it, so thanks again for sharing.  It is also no surprise there are more issues than we publicly know either, as both the Bills and Diggs have been very good at keeping things in house to a high degree. 

But to go back to the original context of my point which was solely the relationship between Diggs and Allen today which was I personally do not think they have all this deep negative animosity and bad blood to the point they can't stand each other right now.  I have no doubt both preferred a trade and a fresh start, I have said that since the news broke of the trade.  But, I also think they are both professionals and had Beane not found the right trade that they could have made it work another season if need be.  Again, just my opinion.  

Ive been saying all offseason it was addition by subtraction with Diggs and even Davis (for different reasons).  Never disagreed there was tension or a strained relationship.  But these guys did still laugh a lot, dance, dap each other up all season long.  Unless everyone thinks that was them acting for cameras, I just find it hard to believe there was a deep hatred of each other like others have said.  Again, just my opinion.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Certainly not buying into the OC's plans is a headache in itself.

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Do you want your #1 WR to not want the ball? I dont know man. I dont want my number 1 to be the guy thats like, dont worry I am good blocking or being a decoy, pulling coverage away from guys. You want your number one to an alpha. Throw me the damn ball. 

Yes but do you want him to then kind of sulk when he doesn't  get he ball as that was the impression he was giving by year end, more going through the motions.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Being that we ate that much dead cap and Allen stated they had a text exchange after the trade....the rift was bigger than I originally thought.  If you're close with someone, you don't text goodbye.  You at least call or meet up in person.

There was someone on social media, probably one of the Bills podcast guys that showed when Diggs came back to the huddle after the KC drop and said something to Allen.  Allen rolled his eyes and shook his head....whatever Diggs said annoyed Allen.  

I'd love to see that social media bit if you can figure out who posted it.  Wild.

A bit disagree on the "call or meet up" vs "text".  That's a generational thing.  My generation calls.  My kid's generation, you text, always.

As far as meeting up, at the time of the trade, they were probably on opposite sides of the country.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'd love to see that social media bit if you can figure out who posted it.  Wild.

A bit disagree on the "call or meet up" vs "text".  That's a generational thing.  My generation calls.  My kid's generation, you text, always.

As far as meeting up, at the time of the trade, they were probably on opposite sides of the country.

At this point, I consider people who call me as rude.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That play exemplified the Diggs/Allen relationship

After he sees Diggs drop it Allens reaction is to go full surrender cobra but he immediately gets himself under control and stick his hands back in his pockets where they belong. That's exactly how you want your leader to act

Diggs of course needs to make it all about himself and absolve blame w the little 'this close' hand gesture. Perfect encapsulation of his self important me first mentality in the biggest moment of either of their careers

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, its like when 2 people break up...its easier to try and find things to hate to move on.  Its human nature.  The fact was that Diggs play tailed off because his usage completely changed under Brady, not because at 30 he was suddenly a washed player.  

So here's the chicken-and-egg thing.  Did Diggs play tail off because Brady changed his usage, or did Brady change his usage because Diggs play tailed off?

Of interest to me is the Greg Cosell OBD segment after the Diggs trade.  For those unfamiliar, Cosell is a Sr Producer at NFL Films and is highly regarded around the league for his film breakdowns.  He's not a Bills employee or stooge and he doesn't always say things Bills fans will like to hear - for example, he is NOT big on Keon Coleman, thinks at best he was drafted for potential and traits.

Anyway, Cosell didn't mince words.  

1:40 in, he says he hopes fans are interested in the reality on tape, and that Stefon Diggs is "not a number 1 receiver in the league...the way we think about #1 receivers, the guys who really are."  He says we're talking about a 30 year old declining player, who is not a #1 receiver.  "That's essentially what the tape tells you that Stefon Diggs is...that's the reality of the tape".  He says "I don't think he's a fully dimensional receiver at this point in his career...he's not a true vertical dimension..he's much more of a possession receiver.... he's still very very good at that".  And he says he's going to a team where he's not going to be the #1 receiver.

It's always possible that Diggs was dinged up in a way too minor to land him on the injury report, but significant enough to affect his level of play.  

Take it for what it's worth to you.  There are a couple other guys who break down film who commented on the Bills playoff games - I think JT O'Sullivan?  who critiqued Diggs play in several aspects.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

This is just a guess, but I suspect he was named a captain to try to calm him down a little bit. 

I thought the team voted on captains (or maybe the offensive players, defensive players, and ST ers?)  I didn't think (on the Bills anyway) Captains were "named"

12 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Now, on the other hand, I can say with near certainty that he was a major malcontent at least last year.  Chronic lateness, special parking spot to help him be less late, arguments over stupid things like his makeup, bad interactions with law enforcement (he's simply a jerk; nothing violent or criminal, at least to my knowledge), stopped talking to Cook altogether at one point last year, broken relationship with Allen.  And this is just what I've heard about.  Best for both sides that he's gone. 

See above.  All of that stuff is 2023. 

I'm not doubting you have a source or what you say here, but I'm honestly intrigued as to what "stupid things like his makeup" means?

Football players wear makeup?

Also curious about the "bad interactions with law enforcement" thing.

55 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So here's the chicken-and-egg thing.  Did Diggs play tail off because Brady changed his usage, or did Brady change his usage because Diggs play tailed off?

Of interest to me is the Greg Cosell OBD segment after the Diggs trade.  For those unfamiliar, Cosell is a Sr Producer at NFL Films and is highly regarded around the league for his film breakdowns.  He's not a Bills employee or stooge and he doesn't always say things Bills fans will like to hear - for example, he is NOT big on Keon Coleman, thinks at best he was drafted for potential and traits.

Anyway, Cosell didn't mince words.  

1:40 in, he says he hopes fans are interested in the reality on tape, and that Stefon Diggs is "not a number 1 receiver in the league...the way we think about #1 receivers, the guys who really are."  He says we're talking about a 30 year old declining player, who is not a #1 receiver.  "That's essentially what the tape tells you that Stefon Diggs is...that's the reality of the tape".  He says "I don't think he's a fully dimensional receiver at this point in his career...he's not a true vertical dimension..he's much more of a possession receiver.... he's still very very good at that".  And he says he's going to a team where he's not going to be the #1 receiver.

It's always possible that Diggs was dinged up in a way too minor to land him on the injury report, but significant enough to affect his level of play.  

Take it for what it's worth to you.  There are a couple other guys who break down film who commented on the Bills playoff games - I think JT O'Sullivan?  who critiqued Diggs play in several aspects.

I always thought Diggs was hurt in some way and that was part of the reason for the drop off in his play.

I also remember the reactions I got for stating prior to the season that CeeDee Lamb was better than him.

I bet a lot of those posters see things my way now. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

See new posts

Conversation

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout

#Bills weren't getting a WR of the caliber of Stefon Diggs at 22 overall. Vikings now have 22 and 25 overall to address needs.

lol--remember this?.

take a seat, "Matt Miller"

Benjamin Allbright

@AllbrightNFL

Bills had scouted some WRs for an early pick, came away less than thrilled. Getting Diggs is plug and play. No learning curve like with rookie WR. Bill's feel they're in window with Allen on rookie deal.

can you imagine Jefferson as a Bill since rookie?  Bills scouts and WR prospects are a bad mix...

Most thought Jefferson would be off the board.  If not for all world GM Howie Rosemans blunder, he wouldn’t have been.  
What a debacle Howie.  

14 hours ago, babulator said:

He was cancer that we all ignored because he was putting up stats and we were winning. Texans (fans) are already upset about trading for a 1 year rental. With the new contracts It's clear he won't be the focus of their offense either. He'll have a mid season melt down when he's on pace for 60 or 70 grabs. I put 80+ for him as the high mark this season. 

This stuff about Diggs being a “cancer” is such garbage.  He elevated the team when he arrived and all the “controversy” was either innuendo, made up crap, or based on Diggs wanting to win.  He was serious about winning. Was he perfect in delivering his message? No.  A cancer?  Really?  

We lost Morse, Diggs, Poyer, White, and more serious leaders.  It looks like we’re going to try out the goofball leadership style.  Let’s hope it works.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I thought the team voted on captains (or maybe the offensive players, defensive players, and ST ers?)  I didn't think (on the Bills anyway) Captains were "named"

I'm not doubting you have a source or what you say here, but I'm honestly intrigued as to what "stupid things like his makeup" means?

Football players wear makeup?

Also curious about the "bad interactions with law enforcement" thing.

Diggs wears makeup, yes.  There was a stupid dispute about whether the makeup bag could come into the locker room.  

Who counts and reports any votes for captain?

As for the bad interactions, ask around if you have any LEO friends.  The guy is a jerk.  From what I understand somebody eventually put their foot down with him late in the season and that ended it. 

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Case in point - after Daboll left for the Giants, he was back here for the summer.  From what I understand, he said goodbye to a lot of the guys before camp started, including Allen, in person at his house.  That was a good relationship.  Other relationships end with text messages and the team paying to send a malcontent on his way. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1