America’s Fallen Cities: Buffalo

1. Worst run city for decades

2. Worst run county

3. Terrible government bureaucracy

4. Impossible to work with the Unions

5. No serious investment or development outside of Pegula and Roswell - because numbers 1-4.  Not because of snow.  

It’s a point I’ve made forever about the loss of manufacturing in the 70s.  It’s no excuse for countless other cities.

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 4 months later...
On 5/17/2024 at 10:21 AM, The 9 Isles said:

Thoughts? 

A lot of the fall of the American economy has to be put on the gov't and the greed of big company's for moving their manufacturing to other countries the biggest being China ! Yet the stupidity of those in the gov't allows this to go on .

Mike Pence & others say that China is our biggest threat yet they control the majority of the things we buy almost every thing Americans consume is from a communist country and we had a huge lesson to be learned from the pandemic yet the stupidity of the US gov't over rules common sense as usual !! 

China is also buying up property and natural resources on American soil and again the gov't is allowing this and a lot of the steel industry that use to run Buffalo & other surrounding cities like Pittsburgh & Cleveland are all coming from You guessed it China which has put this entire country in a totally bad situation .

The talk of China being our biggest threat continues but the "Career politicians" in DC continue to spew the same BS that they have that put this country where it is and continue to do nothing about it but SLAM Trump when he put tariff's on them then when he was out took the tariff's away only to promote more of the same BS and keeping the US in the predicament that it is in .

Buffalo & other cities use to be gems of the American country side and now are only a shell of what they once were but the people there are still fighting the good fight which still shows the American spirit that built the city to what it is & will sustain Buffalo's greatness for the future the politicians just need to get their heads out of their asses so they can see what they have caused in this country ...

But then there is the post before this one like the career politicians that can't see the forest for the trees !!

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/17/2024 at 11:36 AM, Big Blitz said:

1. Worst run city for decades

2. Worst run county

3. Terrible government bureaucracy

4. Impossible to work with the Unions

5. No serious investment or development outside of Pegula and Roswell - because numbers 1-4.  Not because of snow.  

It’s a point I’ve made forever about the loss of manufacturing in the 70s.  It’s no excuse for countless other cities.

Hoax. 

How was Buffalo able to turn it around, stabilize, and then begin to grow again?

It shrunk.

A lot.

It had a population and industrial infrastructure necessary to support the economy of the first half of the 20th century. If we had propped it up and tried everything to stop the outmigration, it would still be in decline. My family left in the 70s and moved out wes, when I was a kid. Many others preceded and followed us, in search of new and growing regions.

The market worked.

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, Buffalo!!! 

I don't have access to the story, but it's absolutely awesome to hear.  Stepping back a bit, I've been out of WNY for several decades but visit frequently.  It's always home to me.  Lately, the past few years or so, I've spoken with people who'd children live/attended school in Buff and how much they enjoyed it.  The first time I heard that sentiment a couple years back, I nearly fell off my chair after many, many years of "Ohh...you must love snow...".  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don't have access to the story, but it's absolutely awesome to hear.  Stepping back a bit, I've been out of WNY for several decades but visit frequently.  It's always home to me.  Lately, the past few years or so, I've spoken with people who'd children live/attended school in Buff and how much they enjoyed it.  The first time I heard that sentiment a couple years back, I nearly fell off my chair after many, many years of "Ohh...you must love snow...".  

16 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

lol.  the tools parroting Marks lies. are just like mark and dont go to the city after dark.

Poverty rate over 30%

School district a total failure.

Crime rates higher than most cities in the same size.

Do you live in the city? I was on the East Side at Canisius for 6yrs, in South Buffalo for 5yrs and now own a condo on Main St near Chippewa.

Sorry the city is too scary for you. Try Elma or East Aurora, both are wonder bread, devoid of diversity and fantastic places to raise a white family.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, GMB 8888 said:

Do you live in the city? I was on the East Side at Canisius for 6yrs, in South Buffalo for 5yrs and now own a condo on Main St near Chippewa.

Sorry the city is too scary for you. Try Elma or East Aurora, both are wonder bread, devoid of diversity and fantastic places to raise a white family.

I lived on Elmwood and summer.  Homeless and drug addicts around everywhere. Reminded me of Michael Jackson's thriller. Great place to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GMB 8888 said:

So much projecting of your racial biases.  

When did billsy move from the island?  

18 minutes ago, GMB 8888 said:

Not for nothing but Go Griffs, fellow Canisius alum.

23 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

I lived on Elmwood and summer.  Homeless and drug addicts around everywhere. Reminded me of Michael Jackson's thriller. Great place to be.

you do realize drugs aren’t a urban problem right? Also, if you’re overly concerned with unhoused people and the issues related to their situations, the City Mission has a fantastic volunteer program.

26 minutes ago, GMB 8888 said:

I just did a google search for Main and Chippewa, looked about and can’t think of a reason I’d want to live there.  It looks nice hoping. 

Then I googled Elma and East Aurora and thought both looked pretty nice to me.  

I don’t understand the need to trash someone’s choice of where to live because it doesn’t offer what you’re looking for.  

🤔

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GMB 8888 said:

you do realize drugs aren’t a urban problem right? Also, if you’re overly concerned with unhoused people and the issues related to their situations, the City Mission has a fantastic volunteer program.

Never said any of that. It's still a shithole. Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I just did a google search for Main and Chippewa, looked about and can’t think of a reason I’d want to live there.  It looks nice hoping. 

Then I googled Elma and East Aurora and thought both looked pretty nice to me.  

I don’t understand the need to trash someone’s choice of where to live because it doesn’t offer what you’re looking for.  

🤔

It’s almost like different areas are for different people? The city is not a place to raise kids, and I prefer it that way…get your picket fence and have fun in the Southtowns, truly great spots to raise a family.

leave the city to the younger crowd, empty nesters, and people who prefer a grimy vibe over a strip mall vibe. Don’t white wash my city, white wash Hamburg.

3 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Never said any of that. It's still a shithole. Thanks!

Considering you don’t live there anymore then why care? Let everyone who lives there enjoy the vibe, you can pop down from East Amherst for a Sabres game then scurry back to the suburbs before a big scary unhoused person asks you for change.

3 minutes ago, GMB 8888 said:

It’s almost like different areas are for different people? The city is not a place to raise kids, and I prefer it that way…get your picket fence and have fun in the Southtowns, truly great spots to raise a family.

leave the city to the younger crowd, empty nesters, and people who prefer a grimy vibe over a strip mall vibe. Don’t white wash my city, white wash Hamburg.

Considering you don’t live there anymore then why care? Let everyone who lives there enjoy the vibe, you can pop down from East Amherst for a Sabres game then scurry back to the suburbs before a big scary unhoused person asks you for change.

Someone got shot and killed at the 7/11 across the block, but please continue..........

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GMB 8888 said:

You called those towns 'wonderbread', certainly not a term reflective of tolerance and/or the fact that different areas are for different people.  And, wth is 'whitewashing'...keeping the streets clean?  Nice store fronts?  Btw---on my google map, at the corner of East Chippewa and Main...there was a Friday's.  Are you young hipsters getting grimy at night and ordering the Pot Stickers and Jack Daniels Chicken Thumbs for lunch ion Saturdays?

• Agree 1