Tua holding out?

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s not personal, it’s business. It doesn’t matter if they “put him back out there”, he went and we are where we are. You don’t guarantee extra money as a “my bad, sorry your brain may be scrambled.” 

IF they can’t find a middle ground, I’d let him not make his $24 MIL this year. It’s rare that they don’t take the money, you never get that back. He can try to hold them over a barrel, and they can make a legit case for concern about his durability. 

I’m tired of arguing what the Dolphins should do. 

P.S. By all accounts I’ve heard, Tua is a good guy so I wish him well in all regards here.  (Unless he’s playing the Bills.) 

I hear ya.  I'm trying to view it from my optimistic Bills perspective.  This could be a real mess and I couldn't be happier.

And unfortunately I've heard this Tua is a good guy thing too.  And that is why I want him to have the aggressive agent.  And I want Tua to hold a grudge.  Otherwise I think he would have been reasonable.

I wonder if Miami checked into Kirk Cousins.  If they’re not going to pay Tua, it wouldn’t have been the craziest idea to have brought in Cousins and flipped Tua (Washington, NYG, LV, Atl, Minnesota, and maybe even Dallas if they’re tired of Dak holding them hostage  just off the top of my head might have been suitors).  

The problem for Tua is the injury history.  If I’m Tua, and if I don’t have that very graphic injury history, I have no problem playing out the year, getting to FA, and either going the Cousins route for two years or getting the big deal immediately should the opportunity present itself.  His medicals might be so bad, though, that nobody is going to commit $100m+ guaranteed for him.  That’s the risk on his end.  

So, bottom line, if I’m the kid I think strongly about “holding in” at camp. 

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I wonder if Miami checked into Kirk Cousins.  If they’re not going to pay Tua, it wouldn’t have been the craziest idea to have brought in Cousins and flipped Tua (Washington, NYG, LV, Atl, Minnesota, and maybe even Dallas if they’re tired of Dak holding them hostage  just off the top of my head might have been suitors).  

The problem for Tua is the injury history.  If I’m Tua, and if I don’t have that very graphic injury history, I have no problem playing out the year, getting to FA, and either going the Cousins route for two years or getting the big deal immediately should the opportunity present itself.  His medicals might be so bad, though, that nobody is going to commit $100m+ guaranteed for him.  That’s the risk on his end.  

So, bottom line, if I’m the kid I think strongly about “holding in” at camp. 

K Cousins?  That would have required big time cash, $50M signing bonus, $100M guaranteed.  Miami wants a decent QB on a budget, that is not Cousins.

I don't know what "holding in" means.  Even if Tua didn't have his injury history, playing at less than half your market value doesn't seem like a smart move.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

K Cousins?  That would have required big time cash, $50M signing bonus, $100M guaranteed.  Miami wants a decent QB on a budget, that is not Cousins.

I don't know what "holding in" means.  Even if Tua didn't have his injury history, playing at less than half your market value doesn't seem like a smart move.

See TJ Watt re: holding in.  

“Decent QB on a budget” these days is either Kirk Cousins, a rookie contract, or a relatively young castoff (e.g., Mayfield).   The Cousins contract is exactly what they should have been looking for under your scenario.  $25m cap hit in year 1; $40m in year two, and then he’s history with Penix taking over and balancing dead cap against rookie QB contract.  

As for the market value, Tua’s options to unlock that value include playing and staying healthy, holding in/out to extract it from the Dolphins, or becoming a toxic jerk and demanding a trade.  Otherwise, he has to play enough games this year (not sure if it’s 6 or 7) to accrue a year toward FA.  

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Hope he gets it in the NFC. Tired of seeing this guy

eh , we own the Dolphins, him in KC would be a different story.  

I always said, their possession before Josh hit Gabe w 13 secs where Hill housed a slant, totally got in mcds n Frazier head and they went with with super prevent defense to avoid it happening again 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.