Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

1 minute ago, Billl said:

The Chiefs took a swing at a starting RB.  It was a massive failure because he wound up being a backup RB.  Buffalo just spend a 4th round pick trying to get a backup RB.  That makes sense to you?

Cook is meh, he can't catch. It's a passing league.

I wouldn't mind the pick except it's weird when your WR room is crying out for young athletic talent.

• Disagree 1

The Chiefs took a swing at a starting RB.  It was a massive failure because he wound up being a backup RB.  Buffalo just spend a 4th round pick trying to get a backup RB.  That makes sense to you?

A backup RB for 2 years and a starter for 2 years.  Not sure what the problem is.  Any 4th rd pick that get solid snaps for 2 years then starts for 2 years is of fine value.  Regardless of position.  It’s a day 3 pick

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Age has nothing to do with this pick. Mentioning it is absurd.  He’s a RB that will be here for 4 years and then gone.  He’ll play his last play as a bill when he’s 28.  Perfect timing

Beane drafted 3 24 year olds and 3 23 year olds.  It’s worth mentioning.  Kincaid was the second oldest first round pick last year, and Torrence is only slightly younger.  There’s a clear strategy of picking older players.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A backup RB for 2 years and a starter for 2 years.  Not sure what the problem is.  Any 4th rd pick that get solid snaps for 2 years then starts for 2 years is of fine value.  Regardless of position.  It’s a day 3 pick

Beane traded out of the first round and wound up picking the 8th WR in the draft when he could have had the 5th.  His compensation was moving up from the 4th round to the end of the 3rd.  What’s the point of acquiring capital in that section of the draft if you’re just going to use it on a backup RB who might start in years 3 and 4 and will then be 29 years old?

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

Beane drafted 3 24 year olds and 3 23 year olds.  It’s worth mentioning.  Kincaid was the second oldest first round pick last year, and Torrence is only slightly younger.  There’s a clear strategy of picking older players.

I’m speaking of the 24 year old RB pick.  You mentioned his age.  Which has no bearing.  He’s a backup, which has no bearing.  He’s a 4th rd pick that is pretty much guaranteed to have a solid size role in our offense for the next 4 seasons.  There’s nothing wrong with the pick.  

I was hoping for another WR at some point and I’m disappointed that we didn’t select one but I’m happy with the Davis pick. He’s a baller

Beane traded out of the first round and wound up picking the 8th WR in the draft when he could have had the 5th.  His compensation was moving up from the 4th round to the end of the 3rd.  What’s the point of acquiring capital in that section of the draft if you’re just going to use it on a backup RB who might start in years 3 and 4 and will then be 29 years old?

lol.  And now you know why his draft board looks like 🤣  Clueless

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And now you know why his draft board looks like 🤣  Clueless

It has nothing to do with what his draft board looks like.  Allowing teams to take 3 WRs ahead of the one you pick is of consequence.

Beane traded from 28 to 32.  He let Dallas, Baltimore, SF, and KC cut in line.  You really want to hope those front offices miss?

Edited by Billl

29 minutes ago, Billl said:

If they rated the 5th-8th receivers the same, or close to it, it makes sense to move back.  It makes even more sense if they had a pretty good idea the one that may have had a slight edge in the Bills FO minds would be there to be taken as the 8th wr in the draft...

Back up RB in our system is going to get plenty of action year one. So, yeah it's a position that makes sense to solidify and even upgrade a bit if possible.  Sounds good for where he was taken...

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

If they rated the 5th-8th receivers the same, or close to it, it makes sense to move back.  It makes even more sense if they had a pretty good idea the one that may have had a slight edge in the Bills FO minds would be there to be taken as the 8th wr in the draft...

Back up RB in our system is going to get plenty of action year one. So, yeah it's a position that makes sense to solidify and even upgrade a bit if possible.  Sounds good for where he was taken...

It’s literally their job to figure out which of those players is better, though.  “I’ll take whoever DeCosta and Harbaugh and Shannahan and Lynch and Reid and Veach don’t pick so that I can try to pick a 25 year old backup RB” doesn’t seem like elite GMing.

Edited by Billl
  • Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

It has nothing to do with what his draft board looks like.  Allowing teams to take 3 WRs ahead of the one you pick is of consequence.

It’s of no consequence if we got the guy we would’ve picked at 28.  It’s a risk if the guy we wanted was picked.   If we wanted a sub 4.4 guy, there were some available.  Coleman is the only WR that fits his particular profile.  He knew Carolina was taking Legette.  I doubt he was taking Pearsall and if worthy was his guy, he wouldn’t have traded down.  I never thought Worthy was a viable option for our offense.  He’s not the prototype Beane drafts in rd 1.  Coleman is.  

it’s my opinion that Coleman was their guy all along.  So the only consequence was upgrading a handful of picks.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Billl said:

Beane traded out of the first round and wound up picking the 8th WR in the draft when he could have had the 5th.

Yes he traded back and took one of the high 2nd round caliber WRs in the high 2nd round where they belonged. I'll criticize Beane plenty but that was a flat out wise move, pending how those players' careers turn out of course. Getting one of those WRs and still recouping a 3rd round pick was always the smart play.

Maybe wait until we see those WRs play a couple years before we make call outs, yeah?

*Gonna start putting a disclaimer in all my responses to you that I know you are just a troll and you aren't going to spend a single brain cell considering anything I said

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

It’s of no consequence if we got the guy we would’ve picked at 28.  It’s a risk if the guy we wanted was picked.   If we wanted a sub 4.4 guy, there were some available.  Coleman is the only WR that fits his particular profile.  He knew Carolina was taking Legette.  I doubt he was taking Pearsall and if worthy was his guy, he wouldn’t have traded down.  I never thought Worthy was a viable option for our offense.  He’s not the prototype Beane drafts in rd 1.  Coleman is.  

it’s my opinion that Coleman was their guy all along.  So the only consequence was upgrading a handful of picks.  

And if the Ravens had taken Coleman, you’d have made this same post about whatever player Beane took instead.

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

It’s literally their job to figure out which of those players is better, though.  “I’ll take whoever DeCosta and Harbaugh and Shannahan and Lynch and Reid and Veach don’t pick so that I can try to pick a 25 year old backup RB” doesn’t seem like elite GMing.

You know Beane didn't take a RB with KC's 3rd round pick... right?

*Disclaimer: I know you are just a troll and you aren't going to spend a single brain cell considering anything I said

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

See below

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And regarding the RB, again, he is going to get plenty of touches.  If he can run, block and catch, he's another weapon. But in no way given the amount of time he will see on the field, is it a waste to take a RB2 here.  

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

You know Beane didn't take a RB with KC's 3rd round pick... right?

*Disclaimer: I know you are just a troll and you aren't going to spend a single brain cell considering anything I said

Oh I didn't realize. Yup. Makes sense now 

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

🙄 this is such a short sighted view. You’re saying any team picking in the mid 20’s

is making a mistake, because they’ll inevitably be picking by after the best GMs  and you won’t get the guy you want.  

We got a player that we wanted and we upgraded picks.  The fact that there’s risk involved doesn’t make this a bad move.  Every offseason move is a risk.  Nothing is guaranteed.   

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

*Gonna start putting a disclaimer in all my responses to you that I know you are just a troll and you aren't going to spend a single brain cell considering anything I said

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

🙄 this is such a short sighted view. You’re saying any team picking in the mid 20’s

is making a mistake, because they’ll inevitably be picking by after the best GMs  and you won’t get the guy you want.  

We got a player that we wanted and we upgraded picks.  The fact that there’s risk involved doesn’t make this a bad move.  Every offseason move is a risk.  Nothing is guaranteed.   

I’m literally saying the exact opposite. The top few picks are all about the players.  Any idiot can draft MHJ.  By the end of the first round, the GMs matter much more.   Beane let the best of the best pick ahead of him. He let the fattest guys at the buffet cut in line. 

It doesn’t matter as much where you’re picking once the blue chips are gone as it does who you’re picking behind. I’m not interested in letting elite GMs take their guys first and hoping they get it wrong. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Billl said:

Literally any of them.  Beane used a 4th round pick to draft a guy who turns 25 in November to be a backup RB.  I have no idea how good he will be as a player, but how do you defend the thought process that led to that decision?

He was the best guy on their board and gives them a RB with a different and complementary skill set to Cook.

Edited by oldmanfan

8 hours ago, Billl said:

I wouldn’t read too much into the drafting of older players this year. Due to Covid and NIL this draft was full of older prospects and was horribly weak on day 3. Getting anything there would very much be beating the odds. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

If a rd 2-4 draft pick has RB2 production for a couple years and RB1 production for another couple years, then leaves (and possibly assists a little with comp formula), how is that not a SOLID investment? Lots of rd 2-4 picks just bust. 

Because the RB could also just bust. And RB2 production is production that could be replicated with off the street FA’s.

Unless you think there’s a greater chance they are good than other positions. Which honestly might be true, but I don’t think significantly enough. 

Numbers-wise, let’s say a 4th round RB has a 40% chance of being a complete bust. They have a 40% chance of being a league average back and a 20% chance of being a really good back.

Let’s say a 4th round WR has a 60% chance of being a complete bust. They have a 30% chance of being a league average WR and a 10% chance of being a really good WR.

In todays NFL where RB’s grow on trees and WR’s are getting QB-lite contracts, how is WR not a better investment even with worse odds?

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Because the RB could also just bust. And RB2 production is production that could be replicated with off the street FA’s.

Unless you think there’s a greater chance they are good than other positions. Which honestly might be true, but I don’t think significantly enough. 

Numbers-wise, let’s say a 4th round RB has a 40% chance of being a complete bust. They have a 40% chance of being a league average back and a 20% chance of being a really good back.

Let’s say a 4th round WR has a 60% chance of being a complete bust. They have a 30% chance of being a league average WR and a 10% chance of being a really good WR.

In todays NFL where RB’s grow on trees and WR’s are getting QB-lite contracts, how is WR not a better investment even with worse odds?

Let’s say.  Let’s say.  Let’s say.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Billl said:

Literally any of them.  Beane used a 4th round pick to draft a guy who turns 25 in November to be a backup RB.  I have no idea how good he will be as a player, but how do you defend the thought process that led to that decision?

Then what/why are you trying to argue here?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.