What will happen with Knox?

11 hours ago, Trev said:

I think he’ll continue dropping key passes and taking himself out of games after minor injuries. He will continue missing games due to preventable nagging injuries. Typical Knox. 

Are you referring to the wrist injury sustained week 5 that he tried to play thru for several weeks before going on IR when it finally required surgery? Is that your minor injury or is that a preventable nagging injury?  🙄 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Thanks a lot--then definitely keep Knox, a high caliber, starting caliber tight end when healthy--and when used effectively.

I think he will be a surprisingly important part of the Bills this year--at least, am hoping for that, as he has been someone no one has been talking about, and would add another dynamic dimension to the offense. 

He also seems to fit well with what the Bills seem to be looking for with Coleman, a big, tough, physical player capable of winning one on one matches (when he catches).  And the same can be said for  Ray Davis.

I like multiple tight ends because you can be pass happy on a drive, and yet you're still playing a physical brand of offense.  Short TE targets lead to down field blocks by other pass catchers, and forces corners and safeties to tackle big strong dudes.  Or they're forcing their linebackers to cover players like kincaid and knox - you will run into teams during the season that don't have the horses to even do this.  

• Like (+1) 3

If/when Darren Waller retires, the Giants may come calling for Knox as they will have nothing at the TE position.

If the Bills are happy with Morris being TE2, they may be willing to part with Knox for a high draft choice.

Highly highly doubtful, but you never know what Beane has up his sleeve. 

Knox is actually the perfect TE2, but his drops are a major concern and McBeane might be willing to move on at the right price. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Looking at the way Beane is assembling this offense, all signs point to the strategy being muscle defenses down the field rather than finesse their way to the end zone.

We don't need speedsters like Tyreek Hill. There's no use in even pretending that's the game plan. We're going to pound them, control the clock/time of possession, and force them to play catch-up. 

Bigger wideouts, 2 competent tight ends, a bowling ball, low to the ground, change-up running back who has hands (Davis), and a QB who can stiff arm opposing LBs to the ground. 

I suspect we'll see a decent number of 2 TE sets. I also believe the run and screen games will play a bigger part than we've seen in recent years. We may see Quinton Morris more this year too. 

Some may disagree, but I believe with the current personnel and Josh becoming more of a savvy vet who can read defenses, this offense will be far better than any of the Diggs/Davis era.  

Just hoping for better luck staying healthy this season. 96 days and counting.

Edit: another advantage that may have played into the way the team is being built is having a team that doesn't have to be completely reliable on the availability of Josh Allen. I think most of us have conceded that if Josh is out for any extended period of time, the season is all but over.  The direction the team appears to be going on game day, eating away at yardage through shorter passing game and running attack, a halfway decent QB acting as game manager could keep the team on track to win games without the heroics of Josh. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I like multiple tight ends because you can be pass happy on a drive, and yet you're still playing a physical brand of offense.  Short TE targets lead to down field blocks by other pass catchers, and forces corners and safeties to tackle big strong dudes.  Or they're forcing their linebackers to cover players like kincaid and knox - you will run into teams during the season that don't have the horses to even do this.  

Good points.  The Bills were not very physical on offense under dorsey, did not intimidate anyone with their running game and overall.  They did not take it to teams, so faded and faded as the season progressed.

The main immediate change I wanted to see with Brady was a more diverse and physical offense, the kind that could wear down teams the way the leader, Allen, could wear them down and physically overtake them. 

They went for that, with their running game actually becoming a relevant, vital part of their offense, and their O line leading the way, letting them be the agressors rather than just protectors.

But the Bills lacked a physical running back who could help the cause and pound it down their throats when the Bills were ready to do that. 

They have that back now, I think, with Davis.  And with a full off season to implement his vision, and Knox finally healthy, I think Brady will do more of what you say in your post.  And the receivers like Coleman, and several of the big fast wide receivers they'll have in camp this year, are the same kind of physical players. I think it is a clear pattern, focus. 

For the last few years I have been looking for an offense that is like  Josh Allen--unselfish, tough, relentless, and physically dominant.  I think this year the Bills may have that.

It fits not only with Allen's traits, but with McDermott's, Brady's, Kromer's, and Beane's.

Edited by Mister Defense

TE2 sounds gross (not that way), but WR2 sounds like something we desperately needed before shipping out Diggs.

Maybe we’re on to something with this TE2 business. We got that nickel back (not that..) paid and the league picked up the trend. 

I'm voting keeper.  He kind of reminds me of Nate Clements in a way.  Knox has had some brilliant truck and run highlights that keep you thinking, 'hang on, this guy can be something special', but the overall body of work says, 'yeah, pretty good, but someone else could probably take that production over for us, and probably cheaper.'

Clements really was a good player, maybe on an average snap a bit better than Knox, but his entire career's worth of paychecks was mostly based on one (***** Awesome!!) hit.  Beyond that he was a pretty good corner any championship level team could have on their roster, but he was not a catalyst. 

Knox makes more 'Wow' plays, but lacks the consistency to be relied on as a cog in a championship team, but he still has a definite chance to be a top-notch contributor on any given play, and despite the contract, his relative financial hit vs. what the 49ers paid Clements is pretty affordable.  

Clements at 6 years in was the more valuable player, but not by a lot, so I'm cool with giving Knox more time to develop his stuff.  He's shown too much to just write off.  

... I know, potential is maddening

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.