Xavier Worthy injured during 1st practice as a Chief

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Then he needs financial advice if he's renting.

If I were a rookie NFL player I would rent at least for a few years. These guys are traded and relocated so many times during their careers that tying yourself down to a home is not a great idea. You may also not enjoy living where you play so why buy a home there that's gonna sit empty in the off-season and then buy a second home in the place where you live in the off-season? Why buy a home pay all those closing costs only to sell it a few years later and pay the closing costs again if you get traded in 2-3 years? 

Most circumstances you should want to own but I think being in a volatile industry like pro-football is one where the flexibility and low commitment of renting is actually viable. No idea why I broke down this so much but the comment got me thinking about what I would do for a living situation as an NFL rookie. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dude is literally throwing singles in the video lol

What a clown 

Yeah but that watch made in china is the real deal 

Edited by Putin

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

why?  

Because he can pay cash for a house and not have a mortgage.  Since he’s a 1st round pick, he will be there at least two years.

He will earn another million and his house will appreciate 16%-20% in two years with this housing market.

If he gets cut because he is a bust, sell the house and make a profit.

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If I were a rookie NFL player I would rent at least for a few years. These guys are traded and relocated so many times during their careers that tying yourself down to a home is not a great idea. You may also not enjoy living where you play so why buy a home there that's gonna sit empty in the off-season and then buy a second home in the place where you live in the off-season? Why buy a home pay all those closing costs only to sell it a few years later and pay the closing costs again if you get traded in 2-3 years? 

Most circumstances you should want to own but I think being in a volatile industry like pro-football is one where the flexibility and low commitment of renting is actually viable. No idea why I broke down this so much but the comment got me thinking about what I would do for a living situation as an NFL rookie. 

Because he will make a profit on the house when he sells it in 2-3 years. 

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not always the case given that he's gonna have to pay the property tax, home owners insurance, commission, and two sets of closing costs in just 2 or 3 years. Also there's no guarantee a house will appreciate in value although that's a strong possibility dips in the market happen. 

• Agree 1

On 5/30/2024 at 5:52 PM, ndirish1978 said:

This is the guy everyone wanted?

Some teammate this guy is. That could have gone to the Rashee Rice "Go Fund Me" for his lawyer fees. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not always the case given that he's gonna have to pay the property tax, home owners insurance, commission, and two sets of closing costs in just 2 or 3 years. Also there's no guarantee a house will appreciate in value although that's a strong possibility dips in the market happen. 

The fact alone that the house was previously owned by a NFL player will add to its value. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think I just have much more faith in real estate.  I work in HR and we relocate a lot of our new Engineers so I stay up with real estate. I had a girl buy a house, 9 months later that mill closed, she transferred and is now renting that house making $1,000 a month over her mortgage.  

Most of our mills are in rural areas and these people are selling their houses quickly and for a good profit.  My dad has a home in rural GA he just sold and got $35,000 over listing because it went to a bidding war.

Im sure KC is a better market.

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think I just have much more faith in real estate.  I work in HR and we relocate a lot of our new Engineers so I stay up with real estate. I had a girl buy a house, 9 months later that mill closed, she transferred and is now renting that house making $1,000 a month over her mortgage.  

Most of our mills are in rural areas and these people are selling their houses quickly and for a good profit.  My dad has a home in rural GA he just sold and got $35,000 over listing because it went to a bidding war.

Im sure KC is a better market.

Fair enough but I think there is value in the flexibility that renting provides and you can just invest the rest in an Index Fund that will provide you similar returns with a lot less stress. If you are Worthy in KC you can rent a place super nice for like 3k a month (I can't imagine you couldn't get a nice 2-3 bedroom in that range) and then invest the rest into an Index fund and you probably get a similar return with dividends reinvested. 

We are splitting hairs here but I think there's a case for renting in some circumstances and I think you can make a valid case especially during his rookie year where he may not want the hassles that come with owning a home one less distraction.

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Fair enough but I think there is value in the flexibility that renting provides and you can just invest the rest in an Index Fund that will provide you similar returns with a lot less stress. If you are Worthy in KC you can rent a place super nice for like 3k a month (I can't imagine you couldn't get a nice 2-3 bedroom in that range) and then invest the rest into an Index fund and you probably get a similar return with dividends reinvested. 

We are splitting hairs here but I think there's a case for renting in some circumstances and I think you can make a valid case especially during his rookie year where he may not want the hassles that come with owning a home one less distraction.

I agree.  I think its better for these NFL guys to rent a place early on.  Now if they get a nice extension, then you can go buy a place.

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because he can pay cash for a house and not have a mortgage.  Since he’s a 1st round pick, he will be there at least two years.

He will earn another million and his house will appreciate 16%-20% in two years with this housing market.

If he gets cut because he is a bust, sell the house and make a profit.

16-20%??

lol.  he can't pick you as his financial adviser...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

KC doesn't have that kind of bubble

Gotta say that you yougns don’t have a realistic view of real estate. 
We bought a nice house in Getzville for $196K in 1992 (original owner was Ted Cotrell, Bills DC). Sold the house for $175K in 1999 when I relocated. My signing bonus more than covered the loss, but the lesson is that real estate doesn’t go straight up. 

• Like (+1) 1