It really comes down to Brady

On 4/30/2024 at 10:41 PM, ngbills said:

I still think Dorsey was a scapegoat and because we won more games under Brady it is viewed as "Brady is better". But reality was we won games because the D played a lot better and we turned the ball over less. The O stats were not that different. The passing O definitely was worse with Brady, while rushing was better. But if you dig deeper much of the rushing improvement came via Allen's legs. Which because they were in much more desperation mode, I think they took the chains off Allen and let him run while during Dorsey's time in the early season they told Allen not to run. So since Brady was allowed to lean heavy on Allen it skews things. 

I am hopeful with an offseason Brady can put it together. But I dont think we can go a full 17 plus playoffs with the style he utilized with Allen as a bulldozer. He needs to get the passing game going much more than he was able to last year. 

Disagree.  With Dorsey, we will try to chuck the ball downfield for chunk plays with higher risks and failed,  Brady adjusted to a more dink-and-dunk offense and reduced the turnovers and ran the ball more.  It became a balanced offense and he spread the ball and thus negating Diggs long catches that were part of the 1st half of the season.  

• Agree 1

On 6/24/2024 at 3:09 PM, Beck Water said:

And yet, if your team holds the opponent to a FG, while they score a TD, over the course of a game, they win

Are you seriously arguing that drives that only end in FG's should be considered "defensive stops"?    

For chrissakes.

Once again arguing just for the sake of being contrary. :doh: 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Are you seriously arguing that drives that only end in FG's should be considered "defensive stops"?    

For chrissakes.

Once again arguing just for the sake of being contrary. :doh: 

Not arguing anything

Some people do consider "holding them to a fieldgoal" to be a form defensive stop.  We've all heard Josh Allen after a tough loss attribute it to "they held us to FG.  we need to score TD".   

You might consider a hobby?

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Brady said in an interview with Eric Wood that the O is working on execution.  Glad to hear that.  He added,

"We want Josh to make routine plays routinely.  While Josh is capable of making incredible plays, it's about finding the balance where he can excel without feeling the pressure to do it on every snap."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VPWZjOQ14&t=7s

Edited by hondo in seattle

16 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Brady said in an interview with Eric Wood that the O is working on execution.  Glad to hear that.  He added,

"We want Josh to make routine plays routinely.  While Josh is capable of making incredible plays, it's about finding the balance where he can excel without feeling the pressure to do it on every snap."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VPWZjOQ14&t=7s

This is a very interesting quote.  Thank you for finding and sharing it - do you happen to have a link to the whole interview?

Edit: I see in small type you actually have the link.  Let's see if I can embed it below. 

I'll rummage around and look for it, but Kurt Warner, who as a QB made his living with his mind and his ability to read the D and instantly make the correct "routine" play, has made a very similar comment about Josh - that Josh can make amazing plays very few QB can make on a regular basis, but he'd like to see him take the routine plays in front of him more often.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

This is a very interesting quote.  Thank you for finding and sharing it - do you happen to have a link to the whole interview?

Edit: I see in small type you actually have the link.  Let's see if I can embed it below. 

I'll rummage around and look for it, but Kurt Warner, who as a QB made his living with his mind and his ability to read the D and instantly make the correct "routine" play, has made a very similar comment about Josh - that Josh can make amazing plays very few QB can make on a regular basis, but he'd like to see him take the routine plays in front of him more often.

I love Josh and think he's destined for the Hall of Fame.  But I also believe he can get better.  

Tom Brady, for example, was better at presnap reads.  That's why he could get the ball out so quickly.  I'd like to see more of that from Josh.  Josh has said in the past he's not a tape junkie.  Maybe he should become one.

And you mentioned Kurt Warner.  Warner's pointed out in his reviews that sometimes Josh doesn't throw on schedule to the guy the play was designed for.  Instead he waits for something better, often scrambling around to buy time.  Sometimes this ends with big, highlight-reel throws.  Sometimes, though, we end up with sacks, picks, fumbles, and missed opportunities.

It's awesome that Josh can - and does - make jaw-dropping plays.  But I think many of us want what Brady wants: Josh routinely making routine plays.  And then make the hero plays when the situation calls for them.  I'm glad this is how Brady is coaching Josh.

I was also glad to hear Brady talk about execution.  I thought passing game execution was sloppy at times last season.  Folks smarter on me (Warner may have been one) have commented on it, too - that some routes were lazy, cuts weren't crisp, etc.  Scheme, playcalling, player talent are all important.  But their effectiveness is optimized when the team is drilled, Lombardi-like, to execute flawlessly.  I hope that's happening.  

Thanks for embedding the vid.  It's a good interview.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2024 at 6:18 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I love Josh and think he's destined for the Hall of Fame.  But I also believe he can get better.  

Tom Brady, for example, was better at presnap reads.  That's why he could get the ball out so quickly.  I'd like to see more of that from Josh.  Josh has said in the past he's not a tape junkie.  Maybe he should become one.

And you mentioned Kurt Warner.  Warner's pointed out in his reviews that sometimes Josh doesn't throw on schedule to the guy the play was designed for.  Instead he waits for something better, often scrambling around to buy time.  Sometimes this ends with big, highlight-reel throws.  Sometimes, though, we end up with sacks, picks, fumbles, and missed opportunities.

It's awesome that Josh can - and does - make jaw-dropping plays.  But I think many of us want what Brady wants: Josh routinely making routine plays.  And then make the hero plays when the situation calls for them.  I'm glad this is how Brady is coaching Josh.

I was also glad to hear Brady talk about execution.  I thought passing game execution was sloppy at times last season.  Folks smarter on me (Warner may have been one) have commented on it, too - that some routes were lazy, cuts weren't crisp, etc.  Scheme, playcalling, player talent are all important.  But their effectiveness is optimized when the team is drilled, Lombardi-like, to execute flawlessly.  I hope that's happening.  

Thanks for embedding the vid.  It's a good interview.  

I was going to loop back and comment on my own post, so thank you for responding and saving me the gaucherie!

It's a really good interview.  I highly recommend watching it.

• Like (+1) 1