Polls Are Basically Useless

As long as he keeps his mouth shut he wins. With Trump that's asking a lot. They will look to twist and turn anything he says so better just to limit his posts and speeches from now on...which we all know he won't do

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is a good article on how wrong the polls were for the supposed "Red Wave" of 2022

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/election-results-midterms-polls-right.html

My guess is young voters are not being polled enough. They just don't answer their phones with an unfamiliar number 

Keep relying on that one.  And not what many of us have been seeing for years and what everyone witnessed during the debate.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Tiberius said:

This is a good article on how wrong the polls were for the supposed "Red Wave" of 2022

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/election-results-midterms-polls-right.html

My guess is young voters are not being polled enough. They just don't answer their phones with an unfamiliar number 

I don't know why its happening, but who can forget Hillary was heavily predicted to win in 2016? Steve Kornacki said "Trump has no path to victory" (in 2016).

I don't put too much Stock in polls either.

Edited by reddogblitz

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't know why its happening, but who can forget Hillary was heavily predicted to win in 2016? Steve Kornacki said "Trump has no path to victory" (in 2016).

I don't put too much Stock in polls either.

Polls can be statistically inaccurate because of issues with the sample size, or the polling group is not representative of the voting population or some unique factor. My understanding of why the 2016 polls showed Hillary in command was because Democrats were over-represented in the sample population and in some cases, poll participants did not want to disclose their preference for Trump. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Polls have it tied in battleground states. 

I just don't believe it. The pro-choice vote is being undercounted in the polling. It will be different on election day. 

• Eyeroll 1

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I just don't believe it. The pro-choice vote is being undercounted in the polling. It will be different on election day. 

You mean pro federal override of people's choices at the state and local level.  

Where statistically they have a much higher rate of representation/democracy..

44 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What is the current abortion law in battleground states?

55 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Explain. 

Trump’s strongest battleground state, as of today’s polling, is Georgia.  

Despite his best efforts to lose the state, he’s up by 2-3 points there.

They have a heartbeat ban, but abortion isn’t the same issue down south as it is up north.  People may not love it, but they have other things they care about more.  

So how do you believe it will affect things in AZ, NV, PA, WI & MI?

The cross tabs in the polling dump this weekend are concerning for Harris.  Despite the tightening polls, many have oversampled Dems to get a Harris +1 national number and she’s way behind where she needs to be with women and Hispanics.   Whereas Trump is actually polling lower than expected with the white working class.

Maybe Harris has another gear, but I can’t imagine a better two week stretch for her than one consisting of all positive coverage and no questions or policy explanations.   She’s an empty candidate now, which polls well.   People like “generic” Dem or “generic” R … its when they start to learn about the candidate that things change. 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

What's unbelievable is that the worst VP in history and someone who was polling below Biden suddenly became a legitimate candidate for POTUS just because she was installed as the nominee.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

What's unbelievable is that the worst VP in history and someone who was polling below Biden suddenly became a legitimate candidate for POTUS just because she was installed as the nominee.

Trump's always had a hard ceiling nationally (46%).  Now the alternative isn't a corpse.  It's really not that hard to figure out.  It's why I was hoping DeSantis or Haley would win the nomination as Trump is a very weak candidate because he turns more people off than on.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Trump's always had a hard ceiling nationally (46%).  Now the alternative isn't a corpse.  It's really not that hard to figure out.  It's why I was hoping DeSantis or Haley would win the nomination as Trump is a very weak candidate because he turns more people off than on.

That makes no sense.  Nothing has changed except her being installed as the nominee.  Trump has always had a hard ceiling and she has been polling under Biden for years.  She was still polling under him after people found out he was a corpse.  And then voila, she gets nominated without a single vote by the public being cast for her and she's suddenly amazing? 

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That makes no sense.  Nothing has changed except her being installed as the nominee.  Trump has always had a hard ceiling and she has been polling under Biden for years.  She was still polling under him after people found out he was a corpse.  And then voila, she gets nominated without a single vote by the public being cast for her and she's suddenly amazing? 

She became the nominee is what has changed.  All the depressed democrats were given some hope and independents who would vote for a ham sandwich over Biden or Trump were given an alternative.  I don’t know if that momentum holds though.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That was asking too much.

It's too bad. Doesn't need to go for the low blows, his base likes that but most people don't like that stuff. Kamala has a terrible track record. Just stick to the policies and try and be presidential. It was asking too much

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

She became the nominee is what has changed.  All the depressed democrats were given some hope and independents who would vote for a ham sandwich over Biden or Trump were given an alternative.  I don’t know if that momentum holds though.

Again no one wanted her as VP much less POTUS even when they thought he was compos mentis.  It makes no sense at all.  But not surprising.  These are the people who hate Repubs because they allegedly hate women and LBGTQ but support Muslims who actually kill these groups.

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again no one wanted her as VP much less POTUS even when they thought he was compos mentis.  It makes no sense at all.  But not surprising.  These are the people who hate Repubs because they allegedly hate women and LBGTQ but support Muslims who actually kill these groups.

Anecdotal but a black nurse I work with cried when Biden selected her as VP.  We'll see how the rest of America sees her.  I do know that Trump at his best won 46.8% of the national vote which is why picking him as the GOP nominee really ticked me off.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Anecdotal but a black nurse I work with cried when Biden selected her as VP.  We'll see how the rest of America sees her.  I do know that Trump at his best won 46.8% of the national vote which is why picking him as the GOP nominee really ticked me off.

Another anecdote (not personal of course) is that the Seahawks players had a problem with Russell Wilson because he wasn't fully black.  I think that's what Trump's motive was when he talked about her calling herself Indian and then changed to calling herself black.