Need Some Advice

R. Rich

I need to buy a chainsaw so that I can cut some thick branches on my tree and to also cut up the branches that I already cut down w/ the blade on my tree pruner (man, that blade took an a** whoopin'!). Last time we had to use a chainsaw, my wife just borrowed her father's saw. I want to buy my own, so what should I look for? I don't want to get more than I need. Like I said, I only need it for cutting the bigger branches off my tree and stuff like that. I don't need some big industrial strength saw that cuts through houses or anything like that.

I need to buy a chainsaw so that I can cut some thick branches on my tree and to also cut up the branches that I already cut down w/ the blade on my tree pruner (man, that blade took an a** whoopin'!).  Last time we had to use a chainsaw, my wife just borrowed her father's saw.  I want to buy my own, so what should I look for?  I don't want to get more than I need.  Like I said, I only need it for cutting the bigger branches off my tree and stuff like that.  I don't need some big industrial strength saw that cuts through houses or anything like that.

359419[/snapback]

Do you have squirrels that frolic in those trees?

I need to buy a chainsaw so that I can cut some thick branches on my tree and to also cut up the branches that I already cut down w/ the blade on my tree pruner (man, that blade took an a** whoopin'!).  Last time we had to use a chainsaw, my wife just borrowed her father's saw.  I want to buy my own, so what should I look for?  I don't want to get more than I need.  Like I said, I only need it for cutting the bigger branches off my tree and stuff like that.  I don't need some big industrial strength saw that cuts through houses or anything like that.

359419[/snapback]

My advice is buy it chase pitkin. If anything ever goes wrong with a power tool... they will replace it!...

P.S. buy a nice cherry red one! The chicks love cherry red! <_<

359419[/snapback]

Borrow the neighbors, that what I do

Chase Pitkin? I thought they were long gone, at least from Buffalo. Try Home Depot or Sears. Especially Sears can have some sales. Go with gas, and at least an 18". Sometimes there are Sears closeouts really cheap on eBay

My advice is buy it chase pitkin.  If anything ever goes wrong with a power tool... they will replace it!...

359431[/snapback]

They have changed their policy. They will now attempt to repair it, which means you will be without your tool for a month. I had a cordless drill which I bought at CP, and ran into that little problem. I'm not happy with CP right now - seemed like a bait and switch deal to me.

I bought a Sears craftsman 18" saw for under $200. Works great. It paid for itself when I wanted to remove a few trees and didn't have to hire someone to do it.

359419[/snapback]

My advice when buying tools like this.....dont go cheap...

I usually just go to Sears....they have a great return policy and they sell quality stuff

My brother in law once took a bunch of wrenches he bought from a friggen garage sale for basically nothing....then took them to sears and got brand new replacements.....

I always thought he was a cheap SOB....but that is pretty darn cool

I don't need some big industrial strength saw that cuts through houses or anything like that.

359419[/snapback]

sure ya do...if something is worth doing, its worth doing right...and plus ya never know when that big of a chainsaw will come in handy...

Go with gas, and at least an 18".

I agree with going with a gas model because I can't picture one of those little electric things doing much more than trimming the hedge.

But if you're not going to be doing anything more than some limbing you can get by with a 16" bar. It'll be a little lighter and easier to handle if you're reaching from a ladder or cutting above your shoulders for any significant time. And you'll still be able to do just about anything you could do with an 18" or 20" bar. A couple weeks ago I dropped a 45' pine by myself and cut it all up with nothing more than a little 16" saw and a few beverages. So going with a slightly shorter bar you'll get the advantage of having a lighter tool that's easier to throw around, save a little bit of money and still be able to use it for bigger jobs if you need to.

Have fun mac

Cya

I agree with going with a gas model because I can't picture one of those little electric things doing much more than trimming the hedge.

But if you're not going to be doing anything more than some limbing you can get by with a 16" bar. It'll be a little lighter and easier to handle if you're reaching from a ladder or cutting above your shoulders for any significant time. And you'll still be able to do just about anything you could do with an 18" or 20" bar. A couple weeks ago I dropped a 45' pine by myself and cut it all up with nothing more than a little 16" saw and a few beverages. So going with a slightly shorter bar you'll get the advantage of having a lighter tool that's easier to throw around, save a little bit of money and still be able to use it for bigger jobs if you need to.

Have fun mac

Cya

359472[/snapback]

The best known folk hero of the Wilds of Pennsylvania is the giant lumberjack, Simon. A product of rugged humor, wit and spontaneous exaggeration, his 'legend' was created in the bunkhouses of ordinary logging camps, by ordinary working men, while they gathered around the glowing woodstoves on cold winter evenings. It was from there that stories about Simon spread throughout the pine shanties of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. The lumberjacks heard and then retold the fables, often weaving in local or personal embellishments as they passed the tales on.

The best known folk hero of the Wilds of Pennsylvania is the giant lumberjack, Simon. A product of rugged humor, wit and spontaneous exaggeration, his 'legend' was created in the bunkhouses of ordinary logging camps, by ordinary working men, while they gathered around the glowing woodstoves on cold winter evenings. It was from there that stories about Simon spread throughout the pine shanties of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. The lumberjacks heard and then retold the fables, often weaving in local or personal embellishments as they passed the tales on.

359492[/snapback]

You need to stay away from the Pfizer horse medicines.

359492[/snapback]

Oh, he's a lumberjack and he's OK...