2023-24 NHL Playoffs

T&C

6 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

It's nice to have something to watch, but playing hockey basically in summer is kind of ridiculous.  

Have to disagree there.  The rare times the Sabres have still been playing in June the atmosphere around here is incredible 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

It's nice to have something to watch, but playing hockey basically in summer is kind of ridiculous.  

On the flip side the World Series is played in late October. 

Not playoffs related but the new Utah team has narrowed the choices for a new name with these.

Chris Johnston on X: "After taking 520,000 votes from fans, Utah's NHL team is down to six possible team names: Utah Blizzard Utah Hockey Club (Utah HC) Utah Mammoth Utah Outlaws Utah Venom Utah Yeti" / X

49 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not playoffs related but the new Utah team has narrowed the choices for a new name with these.

Chris Johnston on X: "After taking 520,000 votes from fans, Utah's NHL team is down to six possible team names: Utah Blizzard Utah Hockey Club (Utah HC) Utah Mammoth Utah Outlaws Utah Venom Utah Yeti" / X

I think Blizzard makes sense. The Avalanche has a snow theme name in Colorado. And  both names signify something of power.  I would vote that name amongst those considered

Only 2 more sleeps until the playoffs begin 🙂 

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

I think Blizzard makes sense. The Avalanche has a snow theme name in Colorado. And  both names signify something of power.  I would vote that name amongst those considered

Only 2 more sleeps until the playoffs begin 🙂 

I was thinking the same with the Blizzard or Outlaws. Don't like the rest.

On 6/4/2024 at 9:44 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Have to disagree there.  The rare times the Sabres have still been playing in June the atmosphere around here is incredible 

No disagreement here.  I was speaking mainly of the weather/climate - much of the country is in 80s 90s and 100s and that's not exactly conducive to thinking about hockey.  But I do have memories, albeit distant now, of WNY when the Sabres made runs for the cup and I know it is electric. 

• Like (+1) 2

Are we ready for some NHL playoffs hockey everybody?

Buckle up. Game 1 is tonight!

Florida-Edmonton is going to be a monster series.

I'm rooting for the team with the most ex Sabres.

Rats on the Ice FTW

lol rats on the ice is great fun. 

I can't believe I am rooting for  FL team

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, muppy said:

Are we ready for some NHL playoffs hockey everybody?

Buckle up. Game 1 is tonight!

Florida-Edmonton is going to be a monster series.

I'm rooting for the team with the most ex Sabres.

Rats on the Ice FTW

lol rats on the ice is great fun. 

I can't believe I am rooting for  FL team

As a born German, I have "adopted" Edmonton as my second-favorite NHL team (behind the Sabres, of course) because of Draisaitl, the first true German hockey star. GO, Leon and the Oilers!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DrW said:

As a born German, I have "adopted" Edmonton as my second-favorite NHL team (behind the Sabres, of course) because of Draisaitl, the first true German hockey star. GO, Leon and the Oilers!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Now This makes sense... some of the other posts on the finals series I've read are bizarre. Has to be the oilers, it's been a long time since a Canadian team has won the cup... I'm all for it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, DrW said:

reasons are reasons. You have some very heartfelt ones. I can appreciate that. When you don't really have a team allegiance I think it's fun to choose a team and root for the series. When in actuality it is Not my Team playing. So I'm not going to be upset either way.

teams deserve what they earn not what the fans want anyway. Out of our control. Let the better team win.

and thank goodness the NHL doesn't have as many referee type debacles as NFL football just sayin'

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

I expect the Panthers to win this.  But after reading what Okposo said after he left I’m rooting for the Oilers.

what did he say? I can Google but can you give me the bottom line scoop please?

edit: I found this 

Edited by muppy

Basically quit on the Sabres during the season.  He knew things weren’t working in October but did nothing to change it.   Now in the playoffs he talks about leadership and effort on the Panthers.   He was the freaking captain, maybe if he was leading the Sabres instead of complaining about the fans things might have been different.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what Okposo could have done, though I agree that he was not a stellar captain. The problems for the Sabres were roster construction and coaching. Folks have their own idiosyncratic reasons for selecting a team when your home team is not in play. Sometimes you root against a rival you can't stand. That's not the case here. I've always liked Reinhart. I like cats. I'm rooting for the Panthers. 

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

after 2 periods the score is 2-0 Panthers.

did anyone else notice Kanes fore arm shiver they showed on replay at the beginning of 2nd period? CHIPPY 

Bobrovsky is stopping everything. What a performance

Third period to come. I'm buckled in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.