Dion Dawkins on Diggs trade

41 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He was fine.  The offense changed and now we don't have a #1.  Have fun with that.

I think they will have fun with that, it might actually be the driving force behind the move, let’s lower the intensity and get back to having fun.

Doesn’t mean they’ll be better, but he didn’t wanna be a part of the plan and they(Josh) were tired of the antics.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Seems that Dawkins & Rasul have some strong opinions favoring Diggs, and according to Case Keenum Diggs has done anything but lost a step.  

Just throwing it out there for the wolves since I didn't see it mentioned.  LOL  

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/17/dion-dawkins-rasul-douglas-defend-stefon-diggs-buffalo-bills-houston-texans-trade-nfl/

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-stefon-diggs-brian-thomas-jr-gabriel-davis-jaguars-texans-titans/

It's going to be an interesting fall and a referendum on a bunch of stuff.  

Diggs is definitely not washed.  His numbers greatly declined through how the offense evolved and the reduced effort to forcefully feed him the ball.

But the most important thing is that Diggs does not HAVE to be washed for the trade to be right move.  Personally because of the cap hit, I thought there was almost no chance he would be traded this offseason without some significant change behind the scenes and had expected us to move on next offseason initially.  And since the trade more has come out that certainly suggests a change was in the best interest of both parties...not to mention, Beane got the most for him doing it now and gets to cap freedom quicker.  

I don't have any ill will towards Diggs, I agree with Dion and have said it here multiple times in the past, that Diggs is more misunderstood than anything.  All he is driven by at this stage of his career is winning a ring.  And Diggs was frustrated with losing and was losing confidence the Bills are going to be able to get it done before his abilities diminish with cap issues and a lot of changes coming as a result.  

From the Bills perspective, the constant narrative around Diggs every week, the social media stuff, and with how he wears those frustrations and emotions on his sleeve even in the locker room I think were just wearing thin with Josh and the team.

So IMHO I think this was a good result for both parties

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

I never thought Diggs lost a step last year. If Allen connects on some of those bombs where Stefon was streaking down the field (aside from the KC miss), the narrative would be different. I just think his act ran its course.

Still a good route runner but he’s lost a step.  Check out his success rate versus man coverage.  It’s taken a dip

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Logic dictates that Diggs may have lost a little bit of a step.  He's 30 and will turn 31 during the season and plays a skill position based on speed, twitch, and reaction time.  That said, I don't think he fell off a cliff between week 6 and week 10 of last season and I believe he can still play at a high level.  The OC and style of offense changed and he was no longer the focal point.  They instead decided to run the ball more and distribute passes to a wider variety of receivers.  When they did that, the team was much more successful.

The totality of the circumstances led to the trade, which was a reasonable outcome for both parties:

• Age 30/31 (may have lost a bit of a step, even if negligible)
  • Change in focus of offense
  • Big cap hit coming next year
  • Ability to recoup a 2nd rounder (the mid-round/late round picks involved being intentionally ignored) which may not have been available next year
  • A volatile personality/potential friction with teammates & coaches and related distractions

I was shocked by the trade when it happened, but, in retrospect, it was time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Whatever the case.....he was virtually a non-factor down the stretch and we were winning games.  He's been a no-show in the playoffs most games. 

I loved him, but IMO it may help Josh become a better QB / leader 

He was attracting all of the attention from the opposition just like Edmunds before he left. 

9 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

He should have caught the ball more. His drops were very high for #1 WR. Not worth the money.

He doesn’t drop the bomb v. the chiefs, he’s still here, win or lose that game. 

• Disagree 1

You know what’s REALLY odd to me??

Mostly everyone working for that team, and obviously the players themself, would be in the know on what happened w Diggs. 

How come no big story has been leaked?  Like a current player discussing w his wife… who tells her friend and more of the “why” comes out? 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Seems that Dawkins & Rasul have some strong opinions favoring Diggs, and according to Case Keenum Diggs has done anything but lost a step.  

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/17/dion-dawkins-rasul-douglas-defend-stefon-diggs-buffalo-bills-houston-texans-trade-nfl/

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-stefon-diggs-brian-thomas-jr-gabriel-davis-jaguars-texans-titans/

He may not have but he will soon. Father Time is undefeated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

You know what’s REALLY odd to me??

Mostly everyone working for that team, and obviously the players themself, would be in the know on what happened w Diggs. 

How come no big story has been leaked?  Like a current player discussing w his wife… who tells her friend and more of the “why” comes out? 

Because it probably just wasn't one thing.  There's multiple parties to blame for the complete *****up that caused as to pay $31m for for a future 2nd round pick while losing an elite #1 WR.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Also he's a temperamental jerk.  Don't forget that. 

Call him what you will, but we are going to Bills fans the rest of our lives. He only has a few years left in the league to win a ring. Don’t forget that.

Edited by uticaclub

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Call him what you will, but we are going to Bills fans the rest of our lives. He only has a few years left in the league to win a ring. Don’t forget that.

meh that's the same story for every player in the league

the vast majority are able to conduct themselves appropriately

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

meh that's the same story for every player in the league

the vast majority are able to conduct themselves appropriately

What was so inappropriate? Yelling on the sideline when the rest of the team looked like they didn’t want to be there? That made me a fan for life.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not sure if Diggs lost a step but he did struggle to gain separation in the second half of the season.

As a fan, that makes me wonder.  Diggs' slump started about the same time Brady took over.   So was it a Diggs thing or a Brady thing?  

Douglass mentioned Diggs being misunderstood.  I think we've heard that from other players, too.  So that makes me wonder too.  How was Diggs misunderstood?  Who was doing the misunderstanding?   Was Diggs truly blame-free?  

Beane has mentioned that the Diggs trade wasn't just about the cap.  But he never explained the rest of the story.  That makes me wonder, too.

This will be an interesting season.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

What was so inappropriate? Yelling on the sideline when the rest of the team looked like they didn’t want to be there? That made me a fan for life.

it was obvious enough on broadcast but if you need to see it again- here you go

your favorite wideout up and quitting on his team

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

it was obvious enough on broadcast but if you need to see it again- here you go

your favorite wideout is up and quitting on his team

I’m not watching an hour-long YouTube, the divisional game against KC was tough but if he catches that ball and scores, we still lose that game because the defense, with a healthy expensive defensive line couldn’t stop the run or get pressure. The fact that every player asked about the situation made a point to say what a great teammate he was and not the generic “well its a business”, is telling. Also his #2 was Gabe Davis who sucked.

Edited by uticaclub

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Diggs’ problem was with the coaching staff. He got it in his head they weren’t going to win the Super Bowl with McDermott & got out. Let’s hope he’s wrong. 

I have no doubt in my mind that Stef's first and greatest beef was with coaching.  Then we saw a secondary shift directed at Josh probably because Josh wasn't ready to confront the coaches. Eventually the relationship broke and was finished with Brady's devalued use of 14.  I'll never deny Stef's passion to win but unfortunately his past personality reared it's ugly head causing the fracture.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I wouldn’t bother listening to the press-talk Diggs’ current QB has to say about him— of course he’s going to talk him up. 

Still, I don’t think he really “lost a step.”  Maybe a certain amount of motivation. But for Beane, moving on from him now meant that he could get value for him. It’s frustrating to think that the FO is building for 2025, but this season shouldn’t be written off, as the OP seems to suggest. 

Edited by Rocky Landing

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I do not think there was any way the trade was made unless Josh agreed.

Could be, and if so, Josh was happy to see him go, as well it means Diggs was bigger pain in the azs than we saw, and Josh had had enough of his drama 🎭