Dion Dawkins on Diggs trade

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

The heart of a winner doesn't quit on his team.

All he's looking to do next year is get through it healthy to join the chiefs in 2025 before his wheels fall off.

He absolutely does quit when he does not want to be in Buffalo anymore. I'm sure he ends up in Dallas with his bro

Edited by AZSanta

Some coaches are better at coaching a wide range of personalities than other coaches.  Bills have chosen for better or worse to reduce the eligible talent pool to “process guys”.  It has worked with some success.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

That's the heart of a loser. 

I agree its a punk move on his part. I despise him for doing what he did. He will ball out this year though. If there is such a thing as Karma. He will get a season ending injury in pre season

Edited by AZSanta

Just now, AZSanta said:

I agree its a punk move on his part. I despise him for doing what he did. He will ball out this year though.

He very well may. I think with the other talent at wr that they have he should see a lot of favorable coverage. I assume it's going to be 6 for 60 for him and they may ask him to work the slot. Will he like that? What if there is a slump and they start losing? Sounds like you want him for FF. Good luck.

4 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

He very well may. I think with the other talent at wr that they have he should see a lot of favorable coverage. I assume it's going to be 6 for 60 for him and they may ask him to work the slot. Will he like that? What if there is a slump and they start losing? Sounds like you want him for FF. Good luck.

I think he will be a top 5 wr this year. I know that's a bold statement but if that kind of production can be had in the 4th-5th rd and beyond that is money

They are right...Diggs has lost several steps in fact

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh and Stef had fallen out. Properly fallen out. In the latter part of the 2022 season they were not on speaking terms. They cobbled something together obviously for 2023 and I have no idea what terms they were on by the end of last season. But I don't think Josh needed persuading to let Stef go but it that way.

Josh is no fool.  He'd had enough.

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Some coaches are better at coaching a wide range of personalities than other coaches.  Bills have chosen for better or worse to reduce the eligible talent pool to “process guys”.  It has worked with some success.  

Some coaches will put up with a lot of crap when a players at the top of his game.  When he’s not…it isn’t worth the BS that comes along with him

1 hour ago, AZSanta said:

He didn't have an injury. You could see it in his body language. He was totally disenchanted with being a Buffalo Bill. McDermott and Diggs may have been at odds also. Which  probably contributed to him being traded. 

Of course he didn't have an injury, but he didn't quit on Allen etc.  He was relegated to secondary status.  

In our most important game, week 18 v. Miami, Diggs had a big game that would have been a career game.  

2:29 ... Allen overthrew him for what would have been an 89-yard TD.  

5:00 ... Diggs didn't quit 

https://youtu.be/5kHYGN4IOzg?si=vm0MUEqekQbzBrKg

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

If he quit on the team, I don’t care if he posts 2k yards with the Texans. It was completely right to ditch his ass.

Again, we're going to find a lot of things out this season re: the McDermott-Way.  

There was clearly an agenda at work in there, a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.  His teammates know it.  

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs is a clown. A millionaire 50 times over w/ a top 3 QB throwing to him, fan base that loves him, and a receiving yards title yet still finds things to complain about. I have no sympathy for this bozo and I hope he flames out in Houston recording career lows in every category as the 3rd option. Josh continually saves face for him. He’s gotta be screaming inside when he was on the team. I bet he’s secretly excited to finally have full control of the offense. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Of course he didn't have an injury, but he didn't quit on Allen etc.  He was relegated to secondary status.  

In our most important game, week 18 v. Miami, Diggs had a big game that would have been a career game.  

2:29 ... Allen overthrew him for what would have been an 89-yard TD.  

5:00 ... Diggs didn't quit 

https://youtu.be/5kHYGN4IOzg?si=vm0MUEqekQbzBrKg

Again, we're going to find a lot of things out this season re: the McDermott-Way.  

There was clearly an agenda at work in there, a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.  His teammates know it.  

Yes He wants to win a Superbowl. He pick and chose what games to play 100%, which makes the him having an injury excuse less believable. He was going all out in certain situations. I watched him closely all year. He was not his normal self the 2nd half of the season. His secondary status was a direct result of him not trying. If a guy isn't going to give his all every play than you get demoted to secondary status.  I'm telling you his main objective was to get traded from Buffalo. His family wanted him out and he did what was necessary to make it happen. Its the only logical conclusion to come to after everything played out the way it did. 

Edited by AZSanta

19 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

He should have caught the ball more. His drops were very high for #1 WR. Not worth the money.

Two big drops that changed the trajectory of the franchise.  KC playoffs last year, and the wind game ball that nobody talks about that was a dime for a TD. 

22 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Diggs’ problem was with the coaching staff. He got it in his head they weren’t going to win the Super Bowl with McDermott & got out. Let’s hope he’s wrong. 

that the offense wasn't going to largely center around him so he became a distraction more than he was worth.

He likely would have lasted one more year based on his contract, but think things reached a level sooner than they expected so decided to bite the bullet and get rid of him now with the goal of becoming younger and felt it was worth taking the bigger cap hit this year, but giving them more flexibility in 2025 than they'd have had if they kept him another year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Diggs had a very similar decline in production in the final seven games of the 2022 season under Dorsey as well. In fact, in all four of his seasons with the Bills, Diggs always had a lower ypr in the finals seven games first the first 8 or 9 games of the season. 

2022 First 9 games (Dorsey): 13.68ypr, 72.7 catch % 109 ypg

2022 Final 7 games (Dorsey): 12.33 ypr, 65.5 catch% 63 ypg (46ypg decrease)

2023 First 10 games (Dorsey): 11.89 ypr, 71.6 catch %, 87ypg

2023 Final 7 games (Brady): 9.26 ypr, 58.6 catch %, 45 ypg (42ypg decrease)

Diggs playoff track record is also not great. He had good games against a lot of the wild card teams. But it is very much true that he's been a total no show in all four of the Bills playoff exits to the Chiefs and Bengals. 

Diggs, numbers against Kansas City in both the regular and post season games are mind boggling bad. In the combined 7 games since 2020 he has had one good game which came in the 2022 regular season game: 10 receptions on 13 targets 148 yards and a TD

The other six games he was held  to under 30 yards in 3 out of the six. He had 77, 69 and 46 yards in the other 3 games.

This is a good post.  It's also the reason why I'm willing to give Brady the benefit of the doubt.  Diggs' lack of production in the second half of the season may have been purely a Diggs thing. 

It's weird, though.  His talent is real and on display in the beginning of the year.  What happens later on?  

I think we'll miss Diggs - but not as much as some of the doom-sayers think.   As the season progresses, he's like Cindarella in reverse and morphs into a jag.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Diggs is definitely not washed.  His numbers greatly declined through how the offense evolved and the reduced effort to forcefully feed him the ball.

But the most important thing is that Diggs does not HAVE to be washed for the trade to be right move.  Personally because of the cap hit, I thought there was almost no chance he would be traded this offseason without some significant change behind the scenes and had expected us to move on next offseason initially.  And since the trade more has come out that certainly suggests a change was in the best interest of both parties...not to mention, Beane got the most for him doing it now and gets to cap freedom quicker.  

I don't have any ill will towards Diggs, I agree with Dion and have said it here multiple times in the past, that Diggs is more misunderstood than anything.  All he is driven by at this stage of his career is winning a ring.  And Diggs was frustrated with losing and was losing confidence the Bills are going to be able to get it done before his abilities diminish with cap issues and a lot of changes coming as a result.  

From the Bills perspective, the constant narrative around Diggs every week, the social media stuff, and with how he wears those frustrations and emotions on his sleeve even in the locker room I think were just wearing thin with Josh and the team.

So IMHO I think this was a good result for both parties

Washed and lost a step are not the same thing. 

He had 8 drops last year and only 330 YAC which puts him at the very bottom of WR 1's. Davante Adams was around there with absolutely NO QB. Shakir had almost 300 and played half the time diggs did