Dion Dawkins on Diggs trade

10 hours ago, Brand J said:

I never thought Diggs lost a step last year. If Allen connects on some of those bombs where Stefon was streaking down the field (aside from the KC miss), the narrative would be different. I just think his act ran its course.

Even that KC miss was a very difficult play, with the KC defender disrupting the path of the ball. That dropped pass got a lot of attention because the Chiefs had been doubling Diggs all game, and then finally the Bills had a chance to get him free for a killer TD.  

28 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Even that KC miss was a very difficult play, with the KC defender disrupting the path of the ball. That dropped pass got a lot of attention because the Chiefs had been doubling Diggs all game, and then finally the Bills had a chance to get him free for a killer TD.  

No they weren’t.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

How about in Nov - Dec, may we quote you then?

Sure. Not my exact point about his playoff production, or lack thereof, but in 2023 his last 100-yard game (on the nose, 100 yards exactly, so not exactly a performance for the ages) was October 15 against the vaunted Giants.

His production in the following 2023 regular season games, in order as played, were as follows:

58 yards against the Pats
70 yards against the Bucs

86 yards against the Bengals

34 yards against the Broncos

27 yards against the Jets

74 yards against the Eagles

24 yards against our arch nemesis Chiefs

48 yards against the Cowboys

29 yards against the Chargers

26 yards against the Pats

87 yards against the Phins

If you or others think he's going to get a lot better in his age-31 season make that bet.

I think he'll have some reasonably big games in the first half of the season then fade. But past performance isn't always indicative of future results so I could be totally wrong.

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I think he was traded for being a psychological mess on the sideline

Still one of the funniest sideline gifs.  Like T. White, I'll miss his personality.

stefon-diggs-buffalo-bills.gif

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not sure if Diggs lost a step but he did struggle to gain separation in the second half of the season.

As a fan, that makes me wonder.  Diggs' slump started about the same time Brady took over.   So was it a Diggs thing or a Brady thing?  

Diggs had a very similar decline in production in the final seven games of the 2022 season under Dorsey as well. In fact, in all four of his seasons with the Bills, Diggs always had a lower ypr in the finals seven games first the first 8 or 9 games of the season. 

2022 First 9 games (Dorsey): 13.68ypr, 72.7 catch % 109 ypg

2022 Final 7 games (Dorsey): 12.33 ypr, 65.5 catch% 63 ypg (46ypg decrease)

2023 First 10 games (Dorsey): 11.89 ypr, 71.6 catch %, 87ypg

2023 Final 7 games (Brady): 9.26 ypr, 58.6 catch %, 45 ypg (42ypg decrease)

Diggs playoff track record is also not great. He had good games against a lot of the wild card teams. But it is very much true that he's been a total no show in all four of the Bills playoff exits to the Chiefs and Bengals. 

Diggs, numbers against Kansas City in both the regular and post season games are mind boggling bad. In the combined 7 games since 2020 he has had one good game which came in the 2022 regular season game: 10 receptions on 13 targets 148 yards and a TD

The other six games he was held  to under 30 yards in 3 out of the six. He had 77, 69 and 46 yards in the other 3 games.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh and Stef had fallen out. Properly fallen out. In the latter part of the 2022 season they were not on speaking terms. They cobbled something together obviously for 2023 and I have no idea what terms they were on by the end of last season. But I don't think Josh needed persuading to let Stef go but it that way.

Quite likely,  English is such a useful language, there are so many ways to say similar things, it allows one’s mood to be reflected in the words chosen,  from full on slang to the proper formal uses,  it’s quite fun actually, 

14 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Diggs had a very similar decline in production in the final seven games of the 2022 season under Dorsey as well. In fact, in all four of his seasons with the Bills, Diggs always had a lower ypr in the finals seven games first the first 8 or 9 games of the season. 

Diggs playoff track record is also not great. He had good games against a lot of the wild card teams. But it is very much true that he's been a total no show in all four of the Bills playoff exits to the Chiefs and Bengals. 

Diggs, numbers against Kansas City in both the regular and post season games are mind boggling bad. In the combined 7 games since 2020 he has had one good game which came in the 2022 regular season game: 10 receptions on 13 targets 148 yards and a TD

The other six games he was held  to under 30 yards in 3 out of the six. He had 77, 69 and 46 yards in the other 3 games.

Against the better team’s defenses in the playoffs Diggs couldn’t get separation with any regularity, his stutter step to release evidently wasn’t fooling DBs in those games. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Seems that Dawkins & Rasul have some strong opinions favoring Diggs, and according to Case Keenum Diggs has done anything but lost a step.  

Just throwing it out there for the wolves since I didn't see it mentioned.  LOL  

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/17/dion-dawkins-rasul-douglas-defend-stefon-diggs-buffalo-bills-houston-texans-trade-nfl/

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-stefon-diggs-brian-thomas-jr-gabriel-davis-jaguars-texans-titans/

It's going to be an interesting fall and a referendum on a bunch of stuff.  

He did not lose a step. He purposefully played like crap so the Bills would trade him. He quit on the team. If you are playing fantasy football this year draft Diggs. He is on a prove it year and you better believe he is going to prove he still has it. He is going to go off.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think Digg's problem with the coaching staff was not McDermott but J Brady.  The taking himself out on key 3rd downs when he wasn't injured is unacceptable.  I think it was a Diggs or J Brady situation and the FO/team chose J Brady.

He did what he had to do to force Buffalo to trade him. He intentionally quit on plays. Mark my words he will be a top 5 wr in the league this year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, AZSanta said:

He did not lose a step. He purposefully played like crap so the Bills would trade him. He quit on the team. If you are playing fantasy football this year draft Diggs. He is on a prove it year and you better believe he is going to prove he still has it. He is going to go off.

No disagreement here except the part about quitting.  

Nobody "loses a step" from one game to the next, precipitously, unless they had a major injury.  

It's a narrative built for the gullible.  

This season is starting to shape up to be a very revealing one that McD supporters aren't going to like.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Nobody "loses a step" from one game to the next, precipitously, unless they had a major injury.  

This season is starting to shape up to be a very revealing one that McD supporters aren't going to like.  

He didn't have an injury. You could see it in his body language. He was totally disenchanted with being a Buffalo Bill. McDermott and Diggs may have been at odds also. Which  probably contributed to him being traded. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Diggs is definitely not washed.  His numbers greatly declined through how the offense evolved and the reduced effort to forcefully feed him the ball.

But the most important thing is that Diggs does not HAVE to be washed for the trade to be right move.  Personally because of the cap hit, I thought there was almost no chance he would be traded this offseason without some significant change behind the scenes and had expected us to move on next offseason initially.  And since the trade more has come out that certainly suggests a change was in the best interest of both parties...not to mention, Beane got the most for him doing it now and gets to cap freedom quicker.  

I don't have any ill will towards Diggs, I agree with Dion and have said it here multiple times in the past, that Diggs is more misunderstood than anything.  All he is driven by at this stage of his career is winning a ring.  And Diggs was frustrated with losing and was losing confidence the Bills are going to be able to get it done before his abilities diminish with cap issues and a lot of changes coming as a result.  

From the Bills perspective, the constant narrative around Diggs every week, the social media stuff, and with how he wears those frustrations and emotions on his sleeve even in the locker room I think were just wearing thin with Josh and the team.

So IMHO I think this was a good result for both parties

I think the plan was always to get rid of Diggs after the 2024 season.  It’s a fair assumption that his numbers would be greatly reduced compared to his first four seasons.  At that point, the Bills lose a lot of leverage in the trade market for a 31 year-old WR and still would have to eat dead money.  What could they get?  Maybe a 5th round pick?  

Houston’s 2nd round pick was enough for them to make the move and take the cap hit a season early.  

As far as whether Diggs is washed?  There were was an advanced stat by ESPN that scored receivers ability to get open.  From 2020-2022, Diggs ranked in the Top 5.   Last season he was #67.  That’s probably not all on Diggs - it could be a result of the offense - but I think it’s to fair to question whether that massive drop is a sign of things of come.   I also though there were a number of times this past season when Diggs didn’t come make the clutch catches he had in the past - like the bomb vs. Jacksonville, the final play New England, and of course “the drop” versus KC.  

Also if you’re Houston, why would you void the final 3 years of his contract if you truly believed Diggs was a #1 WR in the prime of his career?

With that being said, I think Diggs still could be a very good recovering option in the Houston offense though I will be shocked if his numbers are anywhere close to Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If he quit on the team, I don’t care if he posts 2k yards with the Texans. It was completely right to ditch his ass.

59 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Tim Graham has said the trade was the result of a “death by a thousand paper cuts.”  This could include Diggs’:

- age /contract

- role in the offense

- declining ability 

- attitude 

- social media nonsense

- potential disputes with QB/HC

- playoff performance 

- “the drop”

Basically the Bills could tolerate Diggs if he played like a true WR1.  They have less tolerance when he’s not making plays and is overpaid.  

31 minutes ago, AZSanta said:

Diggs is going to be fools gold for many fantasy owners.

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Tim Graham has said the trade was the result of a “death by a thousand paper cuts.”  This could include Diggs’:

- age /contract

- role in the offense

- declining ability 

- attitude 

- social media nonsense

- potential disputes with QB/HC

- playoff performance 

- “the drop”

Basically the Bills could tolerate Diggs if he played like a true WR1.  They have less tolerance when he’s not making plays and is overpaid.  

Diggs is going to be fools gold for many fantasy owners.

Yea okay he might be. But if you know anything about Diggs is he is a prideful man. The Texans gave up a 2nd round pick for him. They are going to try and get him the ball. Don't underestimate a man with Diggs mentality to go out and prove himself. He has the heart of a winner. 

Edited by AZSanta

3 minutes ago, AZSanta said:

Yea okay he might be. But if you know anything about Diggs is he is a prideful man. The Texans gave up a 2nd round pick for him. They are going to try and get him the ball. Don't underestimate a man with Diggs mentality to go out and prove himself. He has the heart of a winner. 

The heart of a winner doesn't quit on his team.

All he's looking to do next year is get through it healthy to join the chiefs in 2025 before his wheels fall off.

5 minutes ago, AZSanta said:

Heart of a winner…maybe.  Not sure if he still has the ability he’ll need to put up the numbers you think he will.