Calling it now: You're all about to witness the arrival of Shakir

On 8/30/2024 at 2:14 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Well its almost go time!  Definitely a lot more people have come around to optimism with Shakir since I posted this despite many still holding on to doubts and naysaying...but we will see what is to come now that the season is upon us!    

Just for a little excitement for the crowd who is high on him like me...this is a fun watch!

Welp, worked for me....I'm satisfied!  LFG!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:00 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

He's a quicker, faster and more athletic version of Beasley.  After Kincaid,  it wouldn't surprise me to see him be #2 in targets. 

I can definitely see the similarities....I love the fact that Shakir is bigger and faster, and better equipped to being the #1 WR.  Guy catches everything thrown to him, and his ability to create yardage after the catch is unreal.  He can turn a 10 yard catch into a 30 or 40 yard reception, and then add the fact the guy is tough to bring down.  I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing what Shakir can do this season being the team's #1 guy.  If we can get solid production from those #2 and slot spots, this offense could really surprise people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He's more than that though I think. Beasley found open spots. Shakir has serious YAC ability based on what we saw out of him last year. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  Watching alpha's hype video, not only did Shakir catch everything thrown to him, there were several instances last year where he turned a quick\10 yard pass into a big gain or a TD...he refuses to go down, especially after first attempt...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think that it depends how we define “breakout.” I pulled up a couple of fantasy cheat sheets. One projects him at 55 and the other at 60:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/wr-cheatsheets.php

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/FFPreseasonRank24WRPPR/nfl-fantasy-football-draft-rankings-2024-wr-wide-receiver-ppr

Do I think that he finishes higher than that? Yes, of course because of the opportunity. He will see some volume and has been very efficient on limited targets. Tyler Lockett finished 35th last year with 79/894/5. That feels realistic. I think he could elevate to that level and even to the Stevie Johnson level.

Right now, Shakir is viewed as a low end number 2. It’s realistic, imo that he becomes a quality number 2 by the end of the year. The Bills still have a glaring hole at the top of the depth chart (unless Coleman unexpectedly becomes that guy). Shakir, Samuel and Coleman can be strong role players moving forward. The Bills need the 3 of them to combine for 2400 receiving yards. That leaves 1600-1800 for everyone else. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  Watching alpha's hype video, not only did Shakir catch everything thrown to him, there were several instances last year where he turned a quick\10 yard pass into a big gain or a TD...he refuses to go down, especially after first attempt...

im telling y’all the comp is Robert Woods 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I did…my post is from April 4th…that article is from yesterday 😄

And I posted about him and his potential last season too before he broke out.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I hope, but honestly would be very surprised even at 1.

Allen's going to throw for over 4000.   That's almost impossible to do without someone going over 1000.

900, 800, 700, 600, 500, 400 is 3900 yards.   It's more likely that someone will go over 1000 than you'll get such an even distribution.  Diggs in an off year did 1183.   

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I did…my post is from April 4th…that article is from yesterday 😄

And I posted about him and his potential last season too before he broke out.  

And the reason he's going to break out is because of how Brady will change the schemes from last season.  They're going to create big openings for him, just like the Rams did, first with Kupp and then with Puka.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That actually might be a great comp. 

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

im telling y’all the comp is Robert Woods 🙂

Solid comp.  I think Shakir is a bigger threat after the catch but not by much. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen's going to throw for over 4000.   That's almost impossible to do without someone going over 1000.

900, 800, 700, 600, 500, 400 is 3900 yards.   It's more likely that someone will go over 1000 than you'll get such an even distribution.  Diggs in an off year did 1183.   

And the reason he's going to break out is because of how Brady will change the schemes from last season.  They're going to create big openings for him, just like the Rams did, first with Kupp and then with Puka.  

I agree Allen going over 4,000.  Just think it's more likely that we see:

Kincaid/Shakir: 800-900 per (let's say 850 pp)

Coleman/Samuel: 600-800 range (I'll say 1,200 total)

Cook/Davis/Ty: combine for 750

Hollins/MVS/Knox: 300-400 pp is possible but I'll say 800 total

Others (Morris, Gilliam, other P/S callups): 150

850×2 + 1,200 + 750 + 800 + 150 = 4,600 yards

Now build in some injuries and more ground game and I can see production come closer to 4,200 range.

I don't see above scenario as "impossible", I'd actually call it likely to spread target share.

35 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I agree Allen going over 4,000.  Just think it's more likely that we see:

Kincaid/Shakir: 800-900 per (let's say 850 pp)

Coleman/Samuel: 600-800 range (I'll say 1,200 total)

Cook/Davis/Ty: combine for 750

Hollins/MVS/Knox: 300-400 pp is possible but I'll say 800 total

Others (Morris, Gilliam, other P/S callups): 150

850×2 + 1,200 + 750 + 800 + 150 = 4,600 yards

Now build in some injuries and more ground game and I can see production come closer to 4,200 range.

I don't see above scenario as "impossible", I'd actually call it likely to spread target share.

Not much reason to argue about it, but I think it's much more likely that some go higher and some go lower.   Last season, 28 receivers went over 1000 yards.  Even accounting for some teams that had two, that means most teams have a receiver over 1000.  

Only 10 teams had passers over 4000.  Only two of those guys did not have a 1000 yard receiver:  Mahomes (Kelce missed by a few) and Green Bay, whose best receiver remarkably had only 793. 

So, I'd say it's certainly possible that the Bills won't have a 1,000-yard guy, but it's unlikely.   

• Like (+1) 1

Shakir is a legit good player and I think his strengths fit Bradys schemes. Is he going to be a guy who puts crippling fear into every defensive coordinator and is the focal point of the gamelan? Most likely not. But I see a big season ahead. 

• Like (+1) 1