Things I think

Look fellas, it's quite simple: all life must be respected.  That doesn't mean we can't kill viruses, or chop down a tree to build a house, or even kill a cow to sustain ourselves.  It simply means we must never wantonly destroy living things (e.g. run over a squirrel for the fun of it).  Why?  Two reasons:

First, because of our obligations to living organisms themselves.  An animal (or plant) is not simply a thing (such as a chair or computer).  The squirrel is distinct from the chair by virtue of the fact that it is alive (i.e., has a principle of motion and rest internal to it), and has its own natural end and function (to grow into a mature example of its kind, and reproduce), whereas the chair has it's principle of motion and rest external to it (if it moves, it must be moved), and has its end or function determined by us (to support us while seated).  Hence, recognition of the being of the squirrel requires that we understand that it has its own appropriate activity and purpose (doing squirelly things), an activity and purpose that has its own intrinsic beauty and value independent of us.  When this is destroyed wantonly, you treat the squirrel as if it is a thing (like a chair), and thus make a category error.  You are mistaken. 

Second, because we ourselves wish to be good persons.  Wanton destruction of life makes one a hurtful, cruel, and selfish person, qualities that translate into actions towards others.  No one wishes to be hurtful, cruel, and selfish.  Such qualities will only cause misery and unhappiness to oneself in the end.  Hence, we should practice kindness toward all living things for our own sake.

359112[/snapback]

These are good arguments, but for me, the most significant factor is FEELING. I am against mistreating animals because it seems clear to me that the result is profoundly unpleasant for them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are good arguments, but for me, the most significant factor is FEELING.  I am against mistreating animals because it seems clear to me that the result is profoundly unpleasant for them.

359139[/snapback]

Oh really? So when that little bastard grey squirrel is chewing through my grill gas line and I kill it, it feels it?

Doubt it.

Oh really? So when that little bastard grey squirrel is chewing through my grill gas line and I kill it, it feels it?

Doubt it.

359171[/snapback]

What really matters is that you can brag about it.

Doubt it.

359171[/snapback]

No what he is saying it to make it quick. This way it isn't cruel. Torture is probably not good especially if they are religious animals. Until you kill them make sure you don't do anything like rip up their version of the Bible, force them to stand on their hindlegs for long periods of time, or make them listen to Britney Spears music. That would be wrong. Just make sure the little bastard is killed in a quick quiet manner, and do not transport them elsewhere before you do so.

When monkeys live in monkey cities, their little monkey children go to school to learn how to read and write, their ill go to little monkey hospitals, and finally the monkey men sit around and drink beer watching monkey football then I'll give them rights. Until then this tree hugging navel gazer should STFU and do something useful for humanity.

359107[/snapback]

You must fight to live....on the Planet of the Apes.

I think that animals should at least have some basic rights, including the right not to be tortured or maimed,  not to be killed for greed, and not to have their habitat wantonly destroyed. If that makes me stupid, I guess I am.

And I'm a political conservative.

358978[/snapback]

They have the right to sit lavishly on my plate - right next to the mashed potatos.

Tea is for sissies. :doh:  Sadly, no Tim Horton's in my neck of the woods.

359010[/snapback]

I went into Starbucks to order. My order is simple, two words: tall dark. That gets me a small high test coffee.

My wife wanted one of those fancy teas with no fat foamy sh-- on top. I memorized it all the way from the counter, and went in was my turn I ordered a tall Tai Chi and everyone around me started laughing. Luckily I do not embarass easily, and after laughing with them, they fixed my order.

I may not as smart as my wife, but she is smarter than most blenders. <_<

Since when is it legal to torture animals?

And how exactly do you kill an animal "for greed"?  Do some of them carry wallets now?

359089[/snapback]

Killing deer only to mount the head on your den wall, leaving the meat rotting on the ground (without even making wallets from their hide) would be one way.

I'm sorry that my "murder" of vermin upsets you.

Here's an idea...why don't you buckle up the birkenstocks and go out to play frisbee? It'll make you feel better.

359251[/snapback]

Again whatever.

We have one guy in this message thread who seems to follow the Dahlmer principle that if "it taste good, kill it." Another guy refuses to respect anything that doesn't live in cities (monkey cities? c'mon). And you're chasing squirrels around the backyard like Bill Murray in Caddyshack, instead of squirrel-proofing your grill.

I don't wear birkenstocks, don't play frisbee, and don't really consider myself a "tree-hugger." I eat meat and wear leather.

I know that the practice of making over-the-top comments is common here, especially with the PPPers, but with all due respect, I just think that some of the cliche-addled people who participated in this thread sound like they belong in a looney bin.

I've always been uncomfortable with the mocking of animals that we eat. For example, the barbecue places that always have some cartoon pig in an apron with a big smile, apparently cooking up his delicious little pig friends.

It's hard to demonstrate deductively that this is wrong, but it sure seems in incredibly poor taste to me. Native Americans liked to pay respect for the animals that gave up their lives to sustain us. I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, but this seems way more mature to me.

Killing deer only to mount the head on your den wall, leaving the meat rotting on the ground (without even making wallets from their hide) would be one way.

359287[/snapback]

Rock, I know of exactly ZERO hunters who do this. I am not a hunter, but most of my buddies hunt. If they have filled up their freezers, they bring them to the local station of Hunters for the Hungry.

I've always been uncomfortable with the mocking of animals that we eat.  For example, the barbecue places that always have some cartoon pig in an apron with a big smile, apparently cooking up his delicious little pig friends.

It's hard to demonstrate deductively that this is wrong, but it sure seems in incredibly poor taste to me.  Native Americans liked to pay respect for the animals that gave up their lives to sustain us.  I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, but this seems way more mature to me.

359306[/snapback]

Guess you don't like the cows on the Chick Fil A ads. After all, they do encourage us to eat more chicken.

I am all for not killing for killing sake, and using animals for some sadistic plaesure, but my God, being perturbed at a cartoon pig!!!!

Lord, we better ban Elmer Fudd always trying to kill that damn rabbit. What kind of example is that for our kids