PSL Pricing/Seat Selection Discussion

35 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Whatever floats your (house)boat

Most season ticket holders (especially those on this board) are Bills fans who like going to games, but for a lot of us we can't go to all of them.  We're not generally profit motivated, but typically by selling a few games a little above cost, we make up for other games we might need to sell below cost.

I’m not the slightest bit opposed to what you’re doing but it is NOTHING like selling your primary residence. 

• Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

By the same token, I’m grateful that people resell. In the past, you had to grab tickets as soon as they went on sale. Now I can decide the week of the game if I want to go. I’ll pay a higher cost, but the flexibility is worth it to me. 

Solid bit of perspective here. Thank you.

However, when buyers claim season tickets with the intent of reselling the majority of them, it contributes greatly to ticket inflation.

10 hours ago, DieHardFan said:

Please let me know when you sell your house.

That's a GREAT point, to be honest. I have no intention to sell, as I bought my house to live in it, but 100% agree that reselling houses as an investment strategy is a major contributor to supply scarcity and price inflation.

Take advantage of the systems in place as it is your right. But I can judge those systems and your complicity in the consequences.

As for the Bills, Pegula is finally getting to milk the market with taxpayer funding and taxpayers paying exponentially increased ticket prices. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

On the other hand, you don't have a problem buying $6 tickets, if you buy then at all, when the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs?

That's the thing,. Season ticket holders are evil and greedy when the Bills are good and ticket demand pushes up prices. But no one cares when they have to eat tickets.

Exactly. Go to the games as a fan, or eat the risk of treating them as commodities when demand tanks. 

12 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Exactly. Go to the games as a fan, or eat the risk of treating them as commodities when demand tanks. 

I often did go to those less desirable games. Keep in mind I live 500 miles from the stadium. I could only attend 3-4 games anyway.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I often did go to those less desirable games. Keep in mind I live 500 miles from the stadium. I could only attend 3-4 games anyway.

Hey, you do you. If my criticism seems not to apply, or unreasonable, then disregard and/or criticize me in turn. I have plenty of faults. 

I understand the myriad reasons why season ticket holders would resell tickets. It's perfectly legal. But buying them with the intent to resell the majority of them for profit is kind of a poopy thing to do. Sounds like that might not be you anyways. 

I am not a current season ticket holder and no longer live in Buffalo.  I had gone on the Bills website a while back and signed up for “info on new stadium” or some such link. Really just did this to keep up with construction progress. Well, I got a call yesterday asking if I was interested in psl/season tickets in the club level of the new stadium. I was considered on the waitlist. I politely declined and tried to get info on cheaper psl’s but nothing available yet. 

They must really be having a hard time selling the clubs if I’m getting a call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Solid bit of perspective here. Thank you.

However, when buyers claim season tickets with the intent of reselling the majority of them, it contributes greatly to ticket inflation.

No data to back it up, but I would guess professional ticket brokers contribute far more to inflated prices than fans who are season ticket holders and sell enough games to break even for the season. 

I don’t mind at all buying tickets from STHs as opposed to brokers who are definitely out to maximize profits. 

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Hey, you do you. If my criticism seems not to apply, or unreasonable, then disregard and/or criticize me in turn. I have plenty of faults. 

I understand the myriad reasons why season ticket holders would resell tickets. It's perfectly legal. But buying them with the intent to resell the majority of them for profit is kind of a poopy thing to do. Sounds like that might not be you anyways. 

I need to understand something. Why in your mind are season ticket holders obligated to provide affordable tickets to casual fans when the Bills are good?

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Takes a bit of a bite out of the “Bills have been too cheap for too long” crowd. 

IMG-2249.jpg

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

As always, the devil is in the details.  Both charts are true but are misleading by not giving details of what data was used.

The first chart appears to be based on the average cheapest ticket price on the secondary market (it doesn't give complete details).  This is high for the Bills due to the high demand for games. There are a lot of people traveling from out of town who already are paying for the flight and room so don't care too much about the ticket price.

The second chart is based on average season ticket prices per game.  The Bills had the second lowest price at $101.80 based on this metric.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Takes a bit of a bite out of the “Bills have been too cheap for too long” crowd. 

IMG-2249.jpg

That’s based on the secondary market pricing as most teams don’t offer individual game tickets. What that tells us is that the Bills have had huge demand. People are willing to pay significantly more than the season ticket cost (divided by 10). Parking is $40 (I think). Beers are $8.80 each and sodas maybe $6. Hot dogs are about the same. The family of 4 is closer to $375-$400.

Anyways, here is what the Bills charge: https://www.buffalobills.com/news/everything-to-know-about-the-buffalo-bills-2023-season-ticket-member-renewals

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

IMG-2249.jpg

Probably the beers driving it up.  A family of 4 at a Bills game can easily drink two cases before halftime. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Probably the beers driving it up.  A family of 4 at a Bills game can easily drink two cases before halftime. 

Exactly. Have to factor in all the Natty Ice the butt chugging, ketchup and mustard slinging, flaming table breaking Neanderthals drink every single game day. 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s based on the secondary market pricing as most teams don’t offer individual game tickets.

Where did you see that the source is secondary market?

I was curious what the source of the data was.

Edited by Einstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

Where did you see that the source is secondary market?

I was curious what the source of the data was.

NFLmemes don't say where the numbers come from so they could have just made them up. However, the rankings are fairly consistent with this USA Today article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/09/06/nfl-ticket-prices-2023-cheapest-most-expensive-prices/70722888007/

The reporter interviews the CEO of TicketSmarter so I assume the numbers come from them  The article starts by giving the highest and lowest average ticket prices and then the highest and lowest cheapest ticket prices (the rankings are close but don't quite match the tweet). They  talk about how the price depends greatly on match up etc. implying that this is the secondary market.  The price for the Bills was the 5th highest at $168 which is close to the NFLmemes tweet which had them at 4th highest. The date of the article is just before the season started accounting for the very low cheapest price for the Texans ($49!) since they were expected to be bad.

A.I. (Statistia) gives the average ticket price for the Bills as $101.63 in 2023, second lowest in the NFL:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193595/average-ticket-price-in-the-nfl-by-team/

Again they don't say explicitly say this is the per game season ticket price and you have to pay to find out their source.  However, the number is reasonably consistent with this SI article giving the average 10 game general admission package for 2024 as $1146 which they say is about 10% higher than in 2023.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-season-ticket-prices-climb-2024-high-demand

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

They  talk about how the price depends greatly on match up etc. implying that this is the secondary market.

Maybe, maybe not.  The Bills several years ago, started having different prices for different opponents.  So where in the past it may have been $95/seat no matter what game it was, now you may pay $150/seat for the Chiefs, but only $75 for the Jets, for the same seat.  

On 7/13/2024 at 10:48 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I need to understand something. Why in your mind are season ticket holders obligated to provide affordable tickets to casual fans when the Bills are good?

Never said they were obligated. Said I disagree with the practice of buying ST with intent to resell majority of them for profit. And by disagree, that doesn't mean I think they don't have the right to do so, just that I think it's crappy and contributes to inflation. Just one guy's opinion.