Offensive Tackle Question...

Who do you think is a better football player, Verba or Williams?

I cannot venture an opinion because I have seen so little of Verba. What I DO know is that it IS after 6/1 and that MW counts 9.17 mil toward the cap.

Opinions?

358629[/snapback]

I'd guess Verba - only because I've been inflicted with 10 year's worth of GB nationwide and fill-in broadcasts (they are chronically the default tv game here) and get maybe 2 Bill's games if I'm lucky. :lol:

Who do you think is a better football player, Verba or Williams?

I cannot venture an opinion because I have seen so little of Verba. What I DO know is that it IS after 6/1 and that MW counts 9.17 mil toward the cap.

Opinions?

358629[/snapback]

I'm just back in town after a week out west so I have missed a lot. Why is this choice even a question. From looking at the web remotely I saw Verba was now available, but I have not seen any expressions of interest in him from the Bills at the logical opening we seem to have at LT. Nor have I heard of any interest in him at the MW position of RT or any hint that JMac envisions MW as an LT.

Contract would seem to tell the tale and MW is destined for LT based on the large investment already given to him and LT usually requiring that type of investment. However, MW may eventually (this year will tell) be enough of a player to be able to take on this duty, but his horrendous start last year and very good finish will still require another year of RT.

I saw Verba a couple of times last year (against the Bills and once visiting a buddy in Cleve) and I would say his skill set though difficult to assess in a Browns O scheme which was befuddled was difficult to judge he appeared to be at least the equal of the young MW.

However, Verba is getting older and MW has not yet hit his prime and is now moving in the right direction. Verba is a better player but MW is a far better investment.

Is there anything that happened in the past week which in indicates the Bills priorities regarding Verba, particularly in comparison is short-term enough in their thinking that they would want to somehow replace MW with Verba?

I'm just back in town after a week out west so I have missed a lot. Why is this choice even a question.  From looking at the web remotely I saw Verba was now available, but I have not seen any expressions of interest in him from the Bills at the logical opening we seem to have at LT.  Nor have I heard of any interest in him at the MW position of RT or any hint that JMac envisions MW as an LT.

Contract would seem to tell the tale and MW is destined for LT based on the large investment already given to him and LT usually requiring that type of investment. However, MW may eventually (this year will tell) be enough of a player to be able to take on this duty, but his horrendous start last year and very good finish will still require another year of RT.

I saw Verba a couple of times last year (against the Bills and once visiting a buddy in Cleve) and I would say his skill set though difficult to assess in a Browns O scheme which was befuddled was difficult to judge he appeared to be at least the equal of the young MW.

However, Verba is getting older and MW has not yet hit his prime and is now moving in the right direction. Verba is a better player but MW is a far better investment.

Is there anything that happened in the past week which in indicates the Bills priorities regarding Verba, particularly in comparison is short-term enough in their thinking that they would want to somehow replace MW with Verba?

358678[/snapback]

No, not at all. The thing is.....

1) In a thread on TSW, Verba was quoted as saying that he is interested in playing for the Buffalo Bills.

2) As I said, it IS after 6/1. The cap hit for cutting MW would be lessened.

3) It is easier to get a RT than a LT, and generally lest costly.

4) MW is currently a 9.17 million dollar hit, and has not yet played up to anything even approaching this level.

Remember, I was asking for opinions of those who watched both, NOT making a statement. I am about whatever makes the Buffalo Bills a better football team.