Election Interference | Donald Trump + Stormy Daniels hush money case - GUILTY

Posted (edited)

Judges usually tell the jury "I have no opinion on the merits of this case.  To the extent I have said or done anything to suggest otherwise, you should disregard that.  Simply put, I have no interest in your verdict."

Many judges include that in their standard instructions.  We shall see if this one does although it will hardly be convincing after some of his rulings.

We will be listening for any adverse/uncalled witness instructions.  In other words, is there any inference to be drawn from the fact that the prosecution (which has the burden of proof) did not call certain witnesses. Is that inference obviated by the fact the defense put up a defense case and also did not call those witnesses? How in depth will the judge go into the elements of the so-called other "crimes"?  Does the state have to prove each element of the additional crime?  How will the jury know if its a crime if they don't know the elements? 

--Trey Gowdy, “Sunday Night in America” host and former federal prosecutor

The lefty mob hates due process.   they just want their pound of flesh.

The king again with proving the iron law of projection as its comment was just a tweet

Edited by Tommy Callahan

Merchan just delivered the coup de grace instruction. He said that there is no need to agree on what occurred. They can disagree on what the crime was among the three choices. Thus, this means that they could split 4-4-4 and he will still treat them as unanimous...

-- Jonathan Turley, constitutional law attorney and FNC contributor

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Merchan just delivered the coup de grace instruction. He said that there is no need to agree on what occurred. They can disagree on what the crime was among the three choices. Thus, this means that they could split 4-4-4 and he will still treat them as unanimous...

Is that the same as the standard jury instructions and/or case law for this charge or is it a deviation by Merchan?

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Turley certainly knows that there is a difference in how the law treats elements vs. means of committing an offense. If all 12 jurors decide that Trump directed the creation of fraudulent records for an unlawful purpose, they don't necessarily have to agree on exactly how he did that. That would be an element, which is not what NY law requires.

Got a problem with that, change NY state law.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Turley certainly knows that there is a difference in how the law treats elements vs. means of committing an offense. If all 12 jurors decide that Trump directed the creation of fraudulent records for an unlawful purpose, they don't necessarily have to agree on exactly how he did that. That would be an element, which is not what NY law requires.

Got a problem with that, change NY state law.

It really feels like some people have (very legitimate) complaints about NYS law but are using that to claim bias or impropriety in this particular case.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Is that the same as the standard jury instructions and/or case law for this charge or is it a deviation by Merchan?

tell us!  you're a lawyer.  I've been told you guys never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to...

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ChiGoose said:

It really feels like some people have (very legitimate) complaints about NYS law but are using that to claim bias or impropriety in this particular case.

I agree. 

NY law is weird in this area. I suppose there's a reason for it being weird. Maybe because NYS is the financial capital of the USA. I don't know the history.

So when I saw Bragg brought this case, I was skeptical.

But Bragg is a NY DA, and has NY assistants working for him, and they are right: the case is theoretically solid under NY law.

Could the U.S. Supreme Court ultimately find that this felony law is void for vagueness? Sure. They could, and maybe ultimately they will. But the case is first governed by NY law, and would go to the NY mid-level appeals court, and then the NY State Court of Appeals if Trump is convicted.

By the way, I see a possible mixed verdict. Trump himself didn't sign some of the checks. Don Jr or Eric did. There's good reason to acquit him on those. But that's only a handful of the 34 counts.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. 

NY law is weird in this area. I suppose there's a reason for it being weird. Maybe because NYS is the financial capital of the USA. I don't know the history.

So when I saw Bragg brought this case, I was skeptical.

But Bragg is a NY DA, and has NY assistants working for him, and they are right: the case is theoretically solid under NY law.

Could the U.S. Supreme Court ultimately find that this felony law is void for vagueness? Sure. They could, and maybe ultimately they will. But the case is first governed by NY law, and would go to the NY mid-level appeals court, and then the NY State Court of Appeals if Trump is convicted.

By the way, I see a possible mixed verdict. Trump himself didn't sign some of the checks. Don Jr or Eric did. There's good reason to acquit him on those. But that's only a handful of the 34 counts.

Yeah, I think there were about 10 checks Trump himself didn’t sign. Could see the jury not going for those. 

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Life imitates the Bee again

They just keep puking MSNBC paid talking heads, like it's their own thought.  

Sad and pathetic.  

But the. Again, Dems