Tyrel Dodson to Seattle

If head coaches are retiring on their own it is more likely that they will keep more of current coaches under contract however with any current coach competing for head coach position wanting to leave.

Coach McD's mistake IMO was signing a bunch of new coaches rather than just keeping coaches under contract who performed well but he appeared to want to clean house possibly due Bills reputation of a leaking house but many of the new coaches he hired did not last long.

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

If head coaches are retiring on their own it is more likely that they will keep more of current coaches under contract however with any current coach competing for head coach position wanting to leave.

Coach McD's mistake IMO was signing a bunch of new coaches rather than just keeping coaches under contract who performed well but he appeared to want to clean house possibly due Bills reputation of a leaking house but many of the new coaches he hired did not last long.

Did we have any coaches who performed well under Rex? I suppose Kromer was here, I think his contract was up but maybe he could have been persuaded to stay? Other than him though that was a chump staff. And McD's first staff was pretty good for what a first time Head Coach is usually able to put together: five guys who are still on staff in Rob Boras (tight ends),  Kelly Skipper (running backs), Bobby Babich (then safeties, now DC), Matthew Smiley (then assistant special teams, now STC) and Mark Lubik (then OQC, now Game Management & Assistant Receivers). Plus Leslie Frazier (who had an excellent six year run as DC) and David Culley (who went on to be a HC, albeit briefly). Okay it had a couple of one and dones on the list too - Culley only stayed one year, Gil Byrd was gone within a year and Phil McGeoghan who was a slightly odd hire in the first place. But McDermott's 2017 staff was likely better than Rex's 2016 one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

This D is going to be good.  They have some really nice pieces and our old friend Tyrel has been one of them.  

I think Baltimore lost an elite defensive mind.  

That defense looks absolutely lost right now.  

This play is not surprising.  Dodson’s best attribute was going straight downhill.  Much like Dorian Williams, his instinct is always to take a step forward so he’d often be a step behind in play action.  But it’s cool to see him elevate his game to a starting LB  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Did we have any coaches who performed well under Rex? I suppose Kromer was here, I think his contract was up but maybe he could have been persuaded to stay? Other than him though that was a chump staff. And McD's first staff was pretty good for what a first time Head Coach is usually able to put together: five guys who are still on staff in Rob Boras (tight ends),  Kelly Skipper (running backs), Bobby Babich (then safeties, now DC), Matthew Smiley (then assistant special teams, now STC) and Mark Lubik (then OQC, now Game Management & Assistant Receivers). Plus Leslie Frazier (who had an excellent six year run as DC) and David Culley (who went on to be a HC, albeit briefly). Okay it had a couple of one and dones on the list too - Culley only stayed one year, Gil Byrd was gone within a year and Phil McGeoghan who was a slightly odd hire in the first place. But McDermott's 2017 staff was likely better than Rex's 2016 one. 

Well when a HC comes in and the team is full of 4-3 players & you have one of the best defenses in the league the year before you come in then try and change it to a 3 - 4 that just tells you how stupid that coach is & that was Rex . 

As a good HC you hire the coordinators to do their job & you over see them which is what McD does Rex wanted everything to be his call and that's what did him in at least here in B/lo .

If it ain't broke and is pretty much close to the best you don't fix it .

1 minute ago, T master said:

Well when a HC comes in and the team is full of 4-3 players & you have one of the best defenses in the league the year before you come in then try and change it to a 3 - 4 that just tells you how stupid that coach is & that was Rex . 

As a good HC you hire the coordinators to do their job & you over see them which is what McD does Rex wanted everything to be his call and that's what did him in at least here in B/lo .

Rex wanted everything to be his call without putting the work in. Remember he took a day off to go see the Cubs win the world series in the middle of a game week? I mean can you EVER imagine Sean McDermott doing that?

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex wanted everything to be his call without putting the work in. Remember he took a day off to go see the Cubs win the world series in the middle of a game week? I mean can you EVER imagine Sean McDermott doing that?

Forgot about that . Not at all McD is 100 times better coach than Rex that's why Rex is now a commentator and not a coach . 

7 minutes ago, T master said:

Forgot about that . Not at all McD is 100 times better coach than Rex that's why Rex is now a commentator and not a coach . 

It’s only fitting that the guy who can coach is coaching, and the giant bag of wind is making noise on TV. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Look at how well a similar thing went for Urban Meyer going to the club after the Jax game

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This play is not surprising.  Dodson’s best attribute was going straight downhill.  Much like Dorian Williams, his instinct is always to take a step forward so he’d often be a step behind in play action.  But it’s cool to see him elevate his game to a starting LB  

Once a Bill, always a Bill.  Still beating the Patriots for his old team.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree if Babich and Brady perform someone will hire them as HCs. They are young, energetic, bright minds. That is what teams are looking for. And while the perception is that only applies to offense that isn't true. Brandon Staley had one year as a DC but was successful and fitted that profile and a team hired him right off the bat. Probably too early for his own good and after a fast start he failed miserably. Mike Macdonald had two years behind him but it took him half a season to get it right in Baltimore so basically a season and a half of good performance and he was hired too. If teams see bright, young, energetic guys they hire them. 

That is the risk you run when you hire young up and comers... but with them comes fresh ideas. Or you can value stability (the Bills had the most senior coaching stability in the league for a period with McD, Frazier, Daboll) but that means hiring more veteran guys. Daboll wasn't a retread HC but he had failed in multiple OC spots earlier in his career. 

I'd hope the current incumbents might stay a couple of years but if the Bills have a good season not completely beyond the realm that one of them lands a job this year. Remember both were sought after as coordinators last summer and had the Bills passed on either they'd be OC/DC somewhere else right now. I think Brady might be affected by the fact that Ben Johnson seems to be creating a bit of a logjam in terms of offensive guys. Eight HCs hired last time around, five defense and three offense one of whom - Harbaugh - I don't really count as offense he isn't some genius offensive coordinator he is the archetypal Head Coach hired for leadership. It hasn't started great for Canales and Callahan and I do wonder a bit if there is a feeling on the offensive hires that "Johnson is the one" and team are preferring to go defense rather than reach for their second choice of offensive boy wonder. I also think as you say Slowik and Kubiak - because of that Shanahan system - are probably the next two cabs off the rank after Johnson. That might push Brady back slightly in the queue even if he continues his early success with the Bills. I wonder what the market for someone like a Stefanski or a Sirianni would be if they were fired too? Would anyone give them a chance to jump straight back in? Or are they in "prove it again as a HC" territory. 

Gotta think Belichick is going to fill a spot this coming cycle. What are the odds for Carolina taking that leap. 😄

3 hours ago, T master said:

God I hated that Rex hire. When they hired him instead of just promoting Schwartz to HC, or at least keeping him on as DC, I knew they were in trouble. 

The switch to 3-4 after they had one of the top defenses in the league under Schwartz was just a sign of things to come. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex's staff was riddled with neopostism hires and poor organization. He lost a winnable game when none of his 26 person coaching staff realized that Gilmore was hurt and not in at corner and the dolphins ran right at it . He got fired 2 days later 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a situation that the Bills are about to have to tackle. If these first 2 games are an indication, we will be replacing at least 1 coordinator next year. I think that both guys will get looks and at least  1 (probably Brady) will be gone.

Joe Brady is regaining that “boy genius” reputation that he had at LSU. Someone will hire him to work with their young QB (Bears maybe). Teams have so much riding on their young QBs that they can’t afford to miss. Brady, Slowik, Johnson and Kubiak are all younger offensive minds that I think will be HC candidates.

Babich is the young, fiery, DC. He comes from the McDermott tree. For years, McDermott has been able to keep the system working regardless of the players. Babich has led different position groups and is now the DC. I could see an underachieving team taking a shot on him (Jacksonville maybe). 

Definitely agree about one or both being gone IF success continues.  It's a great problem to have and to counter it you have an established HC who knows what he needs in a replacement. He has guys he can develop on staff but also pays attention to what's in the league. 

McD strikes me as the kind of detail-oriented guy who will perfect how he chooses.  I'm sure he learned between Dorsey and Brady.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean Rob Ryan was the linebackers coach and they were the only steady unit while Rex was here 

Zack brown ,  and Lorenzo Alexander had career resurgences

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean Rob Ryan was the linebackers coach and they were the only strong unit while Rex was here 

Zack brown , Nigel bradham , Lorenzo Alexander and Manny Lawson all were steady or better 

Zac Brown had a resurrected career.. Nigel Bradham got a nice contract and sign with the eagles.. Lorenzo had a career resurgence amd Manny was old yet steady 

I don't think he was. I think Bobby April was the linebackers coach. Rob was Assistant Head Coach or Senior Defensive Assistant. I know he called redzone defense and it was pretty awful. His history was linebackers but don't think he was specifically coaching them here.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he was. I think Bobby April was the linebackers coach. Rob was Assistant Head Coach or Senior Defensive Assistant. I know he called redzone defense and it was pretty awful. His history was linebackers but don't think he was specifically coaching them here.

He was an assistant head coach but he 100% work with the linebackers 

I had a friend on that Bills team and Rob was with the linebackers every day

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1