Tyrel Dodson to Seattle

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Troy Vincent coming out of retirement

Better for him to play baseball with designated hitter rule,

Notice that Bills have never invited Troy Vincent back as player of the game?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Seattle just signed Jerome Baker, I don’t see any way Dodson is now a starter.

Ouch. 

I had a look at the Seahawks player transactions ,,,and they did lose 3 LBs … Devin Bush,   Bobby Wagner and former Round 1 pick Jordan Brooks … Im assuming at least 2 of them were starters..?

Been waiting to see Tyrels money … annoys me why it takes days for some guys and the money is known straight away with others …

Edited by Aussie Joe

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I had a look at the Seahawks player transactions ,,,and they did lose 3 LBs … Devin Bush,   Bobby Wagner and former Round 1 pick Jordan Brooks … Im assuming at least 2 of them were starters..?

Been waiting to see Tyrels money … annoys me why it takes days for some guys and the money is known straight away with others …

Yes they did, but they do have some talented LBers on the roster at OLB, young coverage LBs. Will be interesting, just stinks for him!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

That means that the money isn't good enough for the agent to leak it to Schefter. 

37 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That means that the money isn't good enough for the agent to leak it to Schefter. 

I am convinced Schefter is more of a press agent than reporter and gets paid for releasing news.

22 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I saw some Seattle fans touching themselves over the PFF numbers, claiming he’s better than Fred Warner.  They are in for a Boogie sized disappointment.

Yup, that was McD and Babs putting him in excellent situations. 

No clue how his coverage grade was so high when he allowed 83% completions for 9.5 yards per. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I saw some Seattle fans touching themselves over the PFF numbers, claiming he’s better than Fred Warner.  They are in for a Boogie sized disappointment.

Yeah Dodson was ok. He was much less of a liability as the season went on, but once Milano is back, we will quickly see why he was a backup

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

6th rounder I believe but could be a 7th as it’s on the fringe 

So we're looking at a pick for Davis, a pick for Floyd, and a pick for Dodson with Samuel cancelling out the pick for Jackson. There's also some potential for one for Settle after he (surprisingly) signed a 2 yr 7m deal. 

Approve South Park GIF

17 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Looks like Dodson contract should meet Comp pick criteria.

Just about. It is right on the fringe. 

17 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

6th rounder I believe but could be a 7th as it’s on the fringe 

Yea looks like a 7th to me. Have to remember that there are a max of 32 comp picks and minority hires next hiring season will bump some of the bottom ones off. At the moment Over the Cap has $3m AAV as the bottom rung. I think that will be closer to $4m AAV by the time they are awarded. 

A 4th, a 5th and a 7th would be nice. But I'd give up the Dodson pick (i.e. have it cancelled) in order to sign Blackmon. 

• 5 months later...

Through two weeks Dodson has been very good for them. Another win for Buffalo's player development. The way they worked with him and developed him year on year from an UDFA to a good starting linebacker is impressive. That doesn't happen without good coaching. Can't keep them all, obviously. So it is to Seattle's benefit.

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I think Baltimore lost an elite defensive mind.  

That defense looks absolutely lost right now.  

It's also proof if you have a top ypung coordinator it doesn't matter whether they are offense or defense. You will lose them to a Head Coaching job. Your best hope of maintaining coordinators for the long term is by hiring guys who have been Head Coaches and been fired and within that category it probably is true that a defensive guy is easier to keep because an offensive guy might be more likely to get a second shot.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Through two weeks Dodson has been very good for them. Another win for Buffalo's player development. The way they worked with him and developed him year on year from an UDFA to a good starting linebacker is impressive. That doesn't happen without good coaching. Can't keep them all, obviously. So it is to Seattle's benefit.

It's also proof if you have a top ypung coordinator it doesn't matter whether they are offense or defense. You will lose them to a Head Coaching job. Your best hope of maintaining coordinators for the long term is by hiring guys who have been Head Coaches and been fired and within that category it probably is true that a defensive guy is easier to keep because an offensive guy might be more likely to get a second shot.

This is a situation that the Bills are about to have to tackle. If these first 2 games are an indication, we will be replacing at least 1 coordinator next year. I think that both guys will get looks and at least  1 (probably Brady) will be gone.

Joe Brady is regaining that “boy genius” reputation that he had at LSU. Someone will hire him to work with their young QB (Bears maybe). Teams have so much riding on their young QBs that they can’t afford to miss. Brady, Slowik, Johnson and Kubiak are all younger offensive minds that I think will be HC candidates.

Babich is the young, fiery, DC. He comes from the McDermott tree. For years, McDermott has been able to keep the system working regardless of the players. Babich has led different position groups and is now the DC. I could see an underachieving team taking a shot on him (Jacksonville maybe). 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a situation that the Bills are about to have to tackle. If these first 2 games are an indication, we will be replacing at least 1 coordinator next year. I think that both guys will get looks and at least  1 (probably Brady) will be gone.

Joe Brady is regaining that “boy genius” reputation that he had at LSU. Someone will hire him to work with their young QB (Bears maybe). Teams have so much riding on their young QBs that they can’t afford to miss. Brady, Slowik, Johnson and Kubiak are all younger offensive minds that I think will be HC candidates.

Babich is the young, fiery, DC. He comes from the McDermott tree. For years, McDermott has been able to keep the system working regardless of the players. Babich has led different position groups and is now the DC. I could see an underachieving team taking a shot on him (Jacksonville maybe). 

I agree if Babich and Brady perform someone will hire them as HCs. They are young, energetic, bright minds. That is what teams are looking for. And while the perception is that only applies to offense that isn't true. Brandon Staley had one year as a DC but was successful and fitted that profile and a team hired him right off the bat. Probably too early for his own good and after a fast start he failed miserably. Mike Macdonald had two years behind him but it took him half a season to get it right in Baltimore so basically a season and a half of good performance and he was hired too. If teams see bright, young, energetic guys they hire them. 

That is the risk you run when you hire young up and comers... but with them comes fresh ideas. Or you can value stability (the Bills had the most senior coaching stability in the league for a period with McD, Frazier, Daboll) but that means hiring more veteran guys. Daboll wasn't a retread HC but he had failed in multiple OC spots earlier in his career. 

I'd hope the current incumbents might stay a couple of years but if the Bills have a good season not completely beyond the realm that one of them lands a job this year. Remember both were sought after as coordinators last summer and had the Bills passed on either they'd be OC/DC somewhere else right now. I think Brady might be affected by the fact that Ben Johnson seems to be creating a bit of a logjam in terms of offensive guys. Eight HCs hired last time around, five defense and three offense one of whom - Harbaugh - I don't really count as offense he isn't some genius offensive coordinator he is the archetypal Head Coach hired for leadership. It hasn't started great for Canales and Callahan and I do wonder a bit if there is a feeling on the offensive hires that "Johnson is the one" and team are preferring to go defense rather than reach for their second choice of offensive boy wonder. I also think as you say Slowik and Kubiak - because of that Shanahan system - are probably the next two cabs off the rank after Johnson. That might push Brady back slightly in the queue even if he continues his early success with the Bills. I wonder what the market for someone like a Stefanski or a Sirianni would be if they were fired too? Would anyone give them a chance to jump straight back in? Or are they in "prove it again as a HC" territory. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree if Babich and Brady perform someone will hire them as HCs. They are young, energetic, bright minds. That is what teams are looking for. And while the perception is that only applies to offense that isn't true. Brandon Staley had one year as a DC but was successful and fitted that profile and a team hired him right off the bat. Probably too early for his own good and after a fast start he failed miserably. Mike Macdonald had two years behind him but it took him half a season to get it right in Baltimore so basically a season and a half of good performance and he was hired too. If teams see bright, young, energetic guys they hire them. 

That is the risk you run when you hire young up and comers... but with them comes fresh ideas. Or you can value stability (the Bills had the most senior coaching stability in the league for a period with McD, Frazier, Daboll) but that means hiring more veteran guys. Daboll wasn't a retread HC but he had failed in multiple OC spots earlier in his career. 

I'd hope the current incumbents might stay a couple of years but if the Bills have a good season not completely beyond the realm that one of them lands a job this year. Remember both were sought after as coordinators last summer and had the Bills passed on either they'd be OC/DC somewhere else right now. I think Brady might be affected by the fact that Ben Johnson seems to be creating a bit of a logjam in terms of offensive guys. Eight HCs hired last time around, five defense and three offense one of whom - Harbaugh - I don't really count as offense he isn't some genius offensive coordinator he is the archetypal Head Coach hired for leadership. It hasn't started great for Canales and Callahan and I do wonder a bit if there is a feeling on the offensive hires that "Johnson is the one" and team are preferring to go defense rather than reach for their second choice of offensive boy wonder. I also think as you say Slowik and Kubiak - because of that Shanahan system - are probably the next two cabs off the rank after Johnson. That might push Brady back slightly in the queue even if he continues his early success with the Bills. I wonder what the market for someone like a Stefanski or a Sirianni would be if they were fired too? Would anyone give them a chance to jump straight back in? Or are they in "prove it again as a HC" territory. 

I’m not sure that Stefanski or Sirianni would get hired immediately. IMO, perception is that those guys have talented rosters. When you don’t win with talented rosters, people look at the coaching (right or wrong). I think that there will be enough skepticism that they’ll have to take a step back before getting back to HC. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not sure that Stefanski or Sirianni would get hired immediately. IMO, perception is that those guys have talented rosters. When you don’t win with talented rosters, people look at the coaching (right or wrong). I think that there will be enough skepticism that they’ll have to take a step back before getting back to HC. 

I would hire Stefanski as an OC for sure. Sirianni I am less sure about.

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hopefully we will again enter playoffs this year and the more levels we have the less the coaches will be poached for if a team needs a new head coach they will want the new head coach's input on type of players they wish to get to fit his scheme and that coach will need to build a staff.  The poached new head coach will also want to poach previous teams coaches giving them promotions but there is also only so many positions you can fill that way.

• Agree 3