Justin Simmons released (now visiting N'awlins)

1 hour ago, first_and_ten said:

They were not all-pro last year. They were clearly playing hurt and in decline. They were never coming back this year and McD knew it.

Correct, they were not…..yet somehow Poyer got named top 60 player in the nfl by his peers.  Not sure how that happened.  He was clearly not a top 100 or maybe even 200 player last season.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Correct, they were not…..yet somehow Poyer got named top 60 player in the nfl by his peers.  Not sure how that happened.  He was clearly not a top 100 or maybe even 200 player last season.  

He wasn't a top 60 player but I remain after the first 3 weeks Poyer had a decent year. He wasn't all pro Po anymore but he was still a perfectly decent NFL starting safety. Hyde looked closer to the end IMO which is why him being unsigned is not a surprise to me. I think he knows and will only play if the Bills need him in an emergency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huh?

why would you expect a 31 year old Simmons in 2024 to be faster than a 29 and 30 year old Hyde and Poyer?

I already said that I think Simmons would be a plus add in 2024. I don’t think he would be the difference maker between getting carved up by Mahomes or not, because he’s going to be 31, still a free agent, and we’ve already been carved up with 2 younger All Pros at his position multiple times.

We also did get younger and cheaper at CB. We have two rookie contracts in our top 4 and the only “old” dude is Douglas who is the 28th highest paid CB this season.

Ultimately, the benefit of having a defensive coach like McD is that he shouldn’t require a ton of high level investments to make his defense perform at a high level. Some key positions, sure. But the reason I loved him as a coach was finding guys like Poyer and Hyde and basically completely changing their careers. Drafting Tre White as like the 5th CB off the board and turning him into an All-Pro. Getting NFL level contributions out of dudes like Levi Wallace. 

If we need to invest big time dollars and big time draft picks into McD’s defense to make it work, then what is he even good at?

I know many 31 year old men who are faster than 29 and 30 year old men. Some players are just faster. Yes, it's possible for Simmons to be faster. 

Being carved up my Mahomes is not a good reason to just give up on all experienced safeties. So did our linebackers and corners. It's Mahomes!! 

You're right, we did get somewhat younger at corner except Douglas is not young. He's going to get paid, or he will be gone. 

Having a coach like McD has been great during the season, but he has failed miserably in the playoffs. He's the reason we lost 13 seconds. The defense has been awful in the playoffs. I would also say, it was Tre White himself who turned himself into an all pro. Where was McD for Elam? Hyde and Poyer were good when they got here. I would hardly give McD the credit for "changing their Careers". 

I have asked that question about McD myself. If You can't get your supposed great defense to play great in the playoffs, what is he even here for? We're wasting a great quarterback with a defensive head coach. We should have an offensive mind running this team. Hire a great defensive coordinator. WE will all look back and realize what a mistake it was not to have a coach like Andy Reid.

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huh?

why would you expect a 31 year old Simmons in 2024 to be faster than a 29 and 30 year old Hyde and Poyer?

I already said that I think Simmons would be a plus add in 2024. I don’t think he would be the difference maker between getting carved up by Mahomes or not, because he’s going to be 31, still a free agent, and we’ve already been carved up with 2 younger All Pros at his position multiple times.

We also did get younger and cheaper at CB. We have two rookie contracts in our top 4 and the only “old” dude is Douglas who is the 28th highest paid CB this season.

Ultimately, the benefit of having a defensive coach like McD is that he shouldn’t require a ton of high level investments to make his defense perform at a high level. Some key positions, sure. But the reason I loved him as a coach was finding guys like Poyer and Hyde and basically completely changing their careers. Drafting Tre White as like the 5th CB off the board and turning him into an All-Pro. Getting NFL level contributions out of dudes like Levi Wallace. 

If we need to invest big time dollars and big time draft picks into McD’s defense to make it work, then what is he even good at?

Curious: He has played Mahome twice a year for the past few years. Does anyone know how he played against him?

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That list was a joke

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, first_and_ten said:

I know many 31 year old men who are faster than 29 and 30 year old men. Some players are just faster. Yes, it's possible for Simmons to be faster. 

Being carved up my Mahomes is not a good reason to just give up on all experienced safeties. So did our linebackers and corners. It's Mahomes!! 

You're right, we did get somewhat younger at corner except Douglas is not young. He's going to get paid, or he will be gone. 

Having a coach like McD has been great during the season, but he has failed miserably in the playoffs. He's the reason we lost 13 seconds. The defense has been awful in the playoffs. I would also say, it was Tre White himself who turned himself into an all pro. Where was McD for Elam? Hyde and Poyer were good when they got here. I would hardly give McD the credit for "changing their Careers". 

I have asked that question about McD myself. If You can't get your supposed great defense to play great in the playoffs, what is he even here for? We're wasting a great quarterback with a defensive head coach. We should have an offensive mind running this team. Hire a great defensive coordinator. WE will all look back and realize what a mistake it was not to have a coach like Andy Reid.

it is Mahomes, which is why “we need Simmons to stop Mahomes” is a bad argument lol.

Hyde and Poyer were nobodies. Hyde was a slot DB and Poyer was a 7th round pick FA. They both were signed quite cheaply at the time. You can add Dane Jackson and Benford to the list of unheralded players playing far over their skis under McD. Elam probably just sucks. It’s even more evidence to stop giving McD high round picks. Our best defensive players for the last 7 years are basically all non-first or second rounders except for Oliver and White when he was healthy.

Douglas is gonna be gone next year. They won’t pay him. 

6 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Curious: He has played Mahome twice a year for the past few years. Does anyone know how he played against him?

Mahomes has lost to the Broncos once since being drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He wasn't a top 60 player but I remain after the first 3 weeks Poyer had a decent year. He wasn't all pro Po anymore but he was still a perfectly decent NFL starting safety. Hyde looked closer to the end IMO which is why him being unsigned is not a surprise to me. I think he knows and will only play if the Bills need him in an emergency.

The thing I noticed escalating missed tackles as the season wore on.  At the contract he signed with Miami, he's fine I suppose. 33 is no spring chicken though, and i think there's some intention to give players you've seen practice quite a bit a chance to start.  Hamlin (2021), Lewis (2019), and Rapp(2023) have been here at least 1 year, and have all seen time.  You also brought in a rookie, and a free agent (2x Champ) who's played a bit of a swiss army knife role with other teams.  

I also really think Poyer's arm might be fairly messed up and he just plays with it now, which could be part of the tackling issue.  

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Well his first season was in 2016, and his first win against the Chiefs in his career was their second meeting last year…

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

That sounds like a good option, until Patrick Mahomes is slicing up our secondary in another playoff game. 

But whose secondary hasn't Mahomes sliced up?  When given time, he is relatively unstoppable.  So is Allen.  The key to stopping Mahomes, IMHO, is pressure.  And KC has a very good interior OL.  Their tackles are suspect however.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

The thing I noticed escalating missed tackles as the season wore on.  At the contract he signed with Miami, he's fine I suppose. 33 is no spring chicken though, and i think there's some intention to give players you've seen practice quite a bit a chance to start.  Hamlin (2021), Lewis (2019), and Rapp(2023) have been here at least 1 year, and have all seen time.  You also brought in a rookie, and a free agent (2x Champ) who's played a bit of a swiss army knife role with other teams.  

I also really think Poyer's arm might be fairly messed up and he just plays with it now, which could be part of the tackling issue.  

Oh I am not lamenting his loss. I was mentally prepared for his departure a year before it happened. But he had 2 terrible games to start last season and it set a narrative that didn't hold. After that he played pretty well. 

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

He has picked off Mahomes 5 times, the next closest player has 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Billl said:

Well his first season was in 2016, and his first win against the Chiefs in his career was their second meeting last year…

That doesn't really tell anyone how he fared against Mahomes individually.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Pretty sure the QB rating when poyer was targeted was well over 100.  He was a step late all season from my recollection.  He played ok….but that ranking was ridiculous.  Poyer was my guy, but it was clear to me he wasn’t the same player last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Billl said:

Does that answer the question?  No.

“How well did Josh play against KC in 13 seconds game?”

Billllll- “well, he lost”

Thanks for the contribution.

Simmons has more picks on Mahomes than anyone in the league.  Doesn’t mean he’s played well (I haven’t really looked in depth on his performances)  but it’s closer to an answer than the above doing what he does here.