Justin Simmons released (now visiting N'awlins)

43 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Simmons just makes so much sense with our glaring hole at FS.  

He makes sense until you realize there’s a salary cap and we still have several other holes

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Poyer and Hyde were a fantastic tandem that worked really well together. 

Simmons is better than either of them and 3 years younger.  Would be a massive acquisition for the secondary  

And how much do you pay him?

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why? Simmons is arguably the best safety in the league. He's top 3 no question.  He's also a few years younger than Poyer and Hyde.

Simmons still has 2 very good years left. Sign him (after waiting) to a 2 year deal worth 16M.  Then draft a promising FS to work with Simmons. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Simmons a lot. I also like Blackmon who some have mentioned medicals on. But it would not bother me for them to wait until after the draft to make a move at the safety position. If you aren't signing Simmons, it probably makes sense to wait. 

Who knows what was being discussed as I was at a restaurant that had ESPN on around 530-600PM yesterday, but there was a graphic at the bottom of the screen saying Simmons signed by the Bills(could not hear the audio).  

Probably one of their outrageous talking head shows spewing BS. 

Edited by LabattBlue

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Who knows what was being discussed as I was at a restaurant that had ESPN on around 530-600PM yesterday, but there was a graphic at the bottom of the screen saying Simmons signed by the Bills(could not hear the audio).  

haha well that hasn’t happened or there would be a 50 page thread on here already! 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I saw that too? I was super excited as I was working then couldn't find anything on it afterward. Wtf? 

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

weird! Perhaps they meant to put Mike Edwards signed by Bills and accidentally put Justin Simmons

I have no idea, they were showing Simmons highlights too. Just a way for Espn to mess with us I suppose? 🤣

• 4 months later...
On 3/7/2024 at 9:27 AM, Roundybout said:

Unpopular opinion but I would rather find someone younger and cheaper. McD is very good at coaching defensive backs.

That sounds like a good option, until Patrick Mahomes is slicing up our secondary in another playoff game. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Justin Simmons released (now visiting N'awlins)
6 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

That sounds like a good option, until Patrick Mahomes is slicing up our secondary in another playoff game. 

Are we operating under the impression that he didn’t slice us up with expensive all-pro caliber safeties?

20 minutes ago, DJB said:

I think Simmons is a plus value in the safety room now, but not a long term answer. 

Just now, FireChans said:

Are we operating under the impression that he didn’t slice us up with expensive all-pro caliber safeties?

They were not all-pro last year. They were clearly playing hurt and in decline. They were never coming back this year and McD knew it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

They were not all-pro last year. They were clearly playing hurt and in decline. They were never coming back this year and McD knew it.

They were All-Pro in 2021. Poyer was first team AP and Hyde was second team AP.

Mahomes had 447 total yards, 4 total TD's and a passer rating of 123.1 against them in the playoffs. The Chiefs scored 42.

They were also very good in 2020.

Mahomes had 382 yards, 3 total TD's and a passer rating of 127.6 against them in the playoffs. The Chiefs scored 38.

Now, with all that being said, I will ask again. Are we operating under the impression that he didn't slice us up with expensive all-pro caliber safeties?

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They were All-Pro in 2021. Poyer was first team AP and Hyde was second team AP.

Mahomes had 447 total yards, 4 total TD's and a passer rating of 123.1 against them in the playoffs. The Chiefs scored 42.

They were also very good in 2020.

Mahomes had 382 yards, 3 total TD's and a passer rating of 127.6 against them in the playoffs. The Chiefs scored 38.

Now, with all that being said, I will ask again. Are we operating under the impression that he didn't slice us up with expensive all-pro caliber safeties?

All you did was prove they were not as good as they were touted. They are a bit slow and were never able to keep up with the faster receivers. Just because they were not up to the task doesn't mean the Bills shouldn't give Simmons a shot. And younger and cheaper improves us how? If we go by your standard, why not just go with young and cheap corners as well? Young and cheap only works when the drafting is very good, which the Chiefs have done. The Bills have done okay, but not great in that area.

It's so tempting to try and make this happen, as Safety (IMO) is really the only weak spot on this team.  (Bills colored glasses and all)

But they have Edwards & Bishop coming back at some point.. and my guess is if they were healthy and practicing, we wouldn't be having a conversation about spending big money on a Safety... even one of Simmons caliber. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

All you did was prove they were not as good as they were touted. They are a bit slow and were never able to keep up with the faster receivers. Just because they were not up to the task doesn't mean the Bills shouldn't give Simmons a shot. And younger and cheaper improves us how? If we go by your standard, why not just go with young and cheap corners as well? Young and cheap only works when the drafting is very good, which the Chiefs have done. The Bills have done okay, but not great in that area.

Huh?

why would you expect a 31 year old Simmons in 2024 to be faster than a 29 and 30 year old Hyde and Poyer?

I already said that I think Simmons would be a plus add in 2024. I don’t think he would be the difference maker between getting carved up by Mahomes or not, because he’s going to be 31, still a free agent, and we’ve already been carved up with 2 younger All Pros at his position multiple times.

We also did get younger and cheaper at CB. We have two rookie contracts in our top 4 and the only “old” dude is Douglas who is the 28th highest paid CB this season.

Ultimately, the benefit of having a defensive coach like McD is that he shouldn’t require a ton of high level investments to make his defense perform at a high level. Some key positions, sure. But the reason I loved him as a coach was finding guys like Poyer and Hyde and basically completely changing their careers. Drafting Tre White as like the 5th CB off the board and turning him into an All-Pro. Getting NFL level contributions out of dudes like Levi Wallace. 

If we need to invest big time dollars and big time draft picks into McD’s defense to make it work, then what is he even good at?