How are we feeling about Elam?

Kaenon

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2024 at 1:54 PM, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

I hope he either wins a starting role or gets traded. He's too talented to ride the bench all season again.

I don’t think he’s an all pro out there but I see worse play around the league regularly - and at times right here. 

the refusal to use him is… odd. 

Learning from Taron? This can’t be bad, right?

"I feel like I can really take away the ball at a high level, and I just want to continue to ... critique my feet and just keep working with Taron on playing like a smaller DB and really just take advantage of every opportunity. I feel like that's a basic answer, but that's the reality of it." 
                                      - Kaiir Elam

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think he’s an all pro out there but I see worse play around the league regularly - and at times right here. 

if there is a method to this McD and Elam thing ?

it must be tough love, thinking he will rise to elite.
or its just bs

But the kId has skills , what is missing ?

yea we all know how he struggled

But here he is still

I think he can be a key player for us when either Benford or Douglas inevitably gets hurt.  

I wasn’t a fan of his interview today though.  

As many have pointed out, his attitude seems right.  Also on the positive side, I don't believe he has complained to the media about not getting much chance at starter reps.  And little if any griping when they brought in Douglas.  Fingers crossed the hard work pays off and he makes a big jump.  I bet he's needed sometime before mid-season.

There was some issue between Elam and his position coach, I think the change at DB coach was partly due to that disconnect between coach and player.

Listening to him speak today, you could tell he was trying not to say too much when being asked about the coaching change but did mention how his new position coach “treats me great” … “holding me to a standard, always critiquing me and Christian, but it’s like we’re human”. I’m guessing he wasn’t taking to the previous coaching style and it’s easier smarter and less costly to make a change at the position coach and try to salvage a massive 1st round investment.

He was absolutely terrible in the Jax game in London - repeatedly spun around like a helpless top by Calvin Ridley in what was one of the worst single-game performances of a Bills CB I have ever seen. So it’s reasonable that the coaches had little faith in him. That said, he IS physically talented, and he seems bright enough. I am hoping for an Eric Moulds situation, where the light finally switches on in year three. But he has been a liability so far. Saying otherwise is whistling past the graveyard.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was absolutely terrible in the Jax game in London - repeatedly spun around like a helpless top by Calvin Ridley in what was one of the worst single-game performances of a Bills CB I have ever seen. So it’s reasonable that the coaches had little faith in him. That said, he IS physically talented, and he seems bright enough. I am hoping for an Eric Moulds situation, where the light finally switches on in year three. But he has been a liability so far. Saying otherwise is whistling past the graveyard.

I think that's easily explained by the foot injury he had... arguably one of the more impactful injuries the team had once White got hurt...and Elam's injury was was very early in training camp when iirc he was getting some positive reviews before he got hurt.

Then the fans not know the entire season basically other than he was on IR and it sounds like Beane didn't know either until after it was obvious he was significantly injured and put on IR, so they couldn't really be super aggressive to replace White after he got hurt, because they figured they had Elam...at least that's how I am piecing how things went down

16 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think they're only putting him in situations where he won't look terrible. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Worst single game performances you have ever seen?

He didn't even give up close to one of the worst performances by a Bill's corner ever.. or a cb on the season

He had a rough day... There are corners who give up over 150 yards and two touchdowns to guys in one game... 

Our very own Justin Rogers versus the Jets in 2013.. gave up over 250 yards and two touchdowns... And like 30 penalty yards in one game versus the Jets ... One game

Elam has never came close to anything like that... He's giving up nothing close to 250 yards lol

He didn't even give up a hundred yards according to advanced stats versus Jacksonville.. 97 to be exact 

That's a long way from Justin Rodgers 250 yards

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He didn't even give up close to one of the worst performances by a Bill's corner ever.. or a cb on the season

He had a rough day... There are corners who give up over 150 yards and two touchdowns to guys in one game... 

Our very own Justin Rogers versus the Jets in 2013.. gave up over 250 yards and two touchdowns... And like 30 penalty yards in one game versus the Jets ... One game

Elam has never came close to anything like that... He's giving up nothing close to 250 yards lol

He didn't even give up a hundred yards according to advanced stats versus Jacksonville.. 97 to be exact 

I endured that performance in the south bay with @Mark Vader. I'll never forget it lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not talking about mere stat lines - I'm talking about what saw on the field. He looked utterly helpless out there -- simply unable to cover anyone all game, beaten on every type of route (short, medium ...). Ridley had his way with him in terms of technique every time he lined against him. Basically, he didn't look like he knew how to play the position. By comparison, Mickey Washington looked like an all pro.

Having said all of this, I do realize that the injury may well have been affecting him and honestly I haven't given up on him. He is a very good athlete with excellent length, so maybe the light goes on this year.  

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not talking about mere stat lines - I'm talking about what saw on the field. He looked utterly helpless out there -- simply unable to cover anyone all game, beaten on every type of route (short, medium ...). Ridley had his way with him in terms of technique every time he lined against him. Basically, he didn't look like he knew how to play the position. By comparison, Mickey Washington looked like an all pro.

Having said all of this, I do realize that the injury may well have been affecting him and honestly I haven't given up on him. He is a very good athlete with excellent length, so maybe the light goes on this year.  

Again... He had a bad day at the office 

There are professional corners every week who are giving up a buck and a quarter... 150 yds

Go watch those cornerback performances... And you'll see there's a difference 

Rewatch Justin Rogers... Elam has never played down to that level 

If they could have attacked him for 150 yards they would have... The NFL will attack you till you stop it

he had a bad day... It was nowhere near the worst cornerback performance I saw last season... Let alone the worst in bills history 

Even Stefan Gilmore defensive player of the year has been beat like a drum... People here used to say he sucked 

Corners get judged harshly 

It's certainly was not the worst ever.. by film , or stat line

He had a rough day.. that's all it is

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.