2024 New York Yankees...........start season with 4 game sweep of Houston

BADOLBILZ

2 hours ago, Gman10 said:

What do the Yanks do with their pitching when Cole comes back?

The Yankees likely stick with a 5 man rotation when Cole gets back in a couple weeks since Schmidt is out and won’t be throwing for 4-6 weeks, earliest he’d back is late July.

Poteet started yesterday and pitched well and also in his one previous start, it would seem he has the job as 5th starter for now.

Posted (edited)

the NY Yankees are a great team with a very storied past I dare say their fan base is as big if not bigger than the Bills. I see their hats

being worn everywhere. Is it a team or fashion choice?  I say fandom . Having said that there are 3 teams right off the top of

my head that people either love or despise. Those being the Dallas Cowboys, The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame, AND the NY Yankees.

Once a team has reached and achieved so many championships the bitterness and just dislike flows deep.

. I am a Fan of one of those teams. So I live this premise.  Domers are as diehard a bunch as you will find. And they are Legion as well . Their fans? I think overall a pretty cool bunch

The Cowboys  I need not elaborate we all know why they are despised. For reasons stated above and especially their fans.

And Jimmy Johnson. Jerry Jones? blech

The Yankees ABSOLUTELY hit the trifecta of obnoxiousness  for all the same reasons IMO.

Congrats on your great team. I am not a hater type person. I don't hate em like em or really care about baseball.

Just sayin' a few Sunday thoughts.

Edited by muppy
fans

I'm not sure if there's a BBFS for the Yankees, but I might have it.  We've seen hot starts before, only to have the season get completely derailed by injuries or cold finished into the playoffs. 

Soto has been amazing, and I believe he will keep it up.  But Judge and Staunton haven't hit the DL yet and I feel like that's only a matter of time with them.  Granted, Volpe is also on a tear, but it's hard for me to not expect the other shoe to drop at any moment.

The true optimism for me comes from the pitching.  The rotation is doing great, and that's without Cole.  

If they keep it going like they are now, and can stay relatively healthy, it could be a championship year and they will be forced to resign Soto.  I hope they do regardless, as I think Stanton can come off the books soon, but you never know.  I can't think of a FA that's come in and changed the team since the late 90's when O'Neill and Martinez joined the team.

Right now, it's a 2-team race in the AL East with the Yankees at 42-19 and the Orioles at 37-20. With 61 games played and 101 to go if the Yankees play around .500 they would have 92-93 wins. While they will have some losing streaks here and there, I expect them to still play above .500. Basically, they are in a great spot. 

On 6/3/2024 at 2:53 PM, Virgil said:

I'm not sure if there's a BBFS for the Yankees, but I might have it.  We've seen hot starts before, only to have the season get completely derailed by injuries or cold finished into the playoffs. 

Soto has been amazing, and I believe he will keep it up.  But Judge and Staunton haven't hit the DL yet and I feel like that's only a matter of time with them.  Granted, Volpe is also on a tear, but it's hard for me to not expect the other shoe to drop at any moment.

The true optimism for me comes from the pitching.  The rotation is doing great, and that's without Cole.  

If they keep it going like they are now, and can stay relatively healthy, it could be a championship year and they will be forced to resign Soto.  I hope they do regardless, as I think Stanton can come off the books soon, but you never know.  I can't think of a FA that's come in and changed the team since the late 90's when O'Neill and Martinez joined the team.

When the Yanks got Soto I told my Yankee fan friends to expect solid power but not to expect that high of an average, especially early in the year.  The guy may be playing the best baseball of his career right now.    I like Soto a lot as a player, but I do wonder if he can continue to bat 30 points above his career average.

Hard to believe Judge and Soto are on pace to hit close to 100 HRs combined.

1 hour ago, US Egg said:

Yankees vs. Dodgers this weekend.

.....prefer it in October.

It's still early and injuries can always tank a team's season. But this is starting to feel like a year where 28 happens.

• Like (+1) 1

With all their storied lineups throughout the Yankees’ existence, it’s surprising to learn that Soto, Judge, and Stanton are the only three players to each have 15 HRs in the first 62 games of a season. 

44-19. 7-game winning streak. 8-2 in their last 10. I don't know if they will get 28 but if they stay healthy then this feels like their best in a long time. With that said I expect they will slump at some point. Over 162 every team does but I am getting a "28" vibe from this group. Let's Go Yankees.

Another win last night to make it 3 in a row. They said on the broadcast Judge has 21 home runs in his last 41 games and is hitting .400. It's June 12th and he already has 25 HR's and 62 RBI's. Let's Go Yankees. This has been a special season so far.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Another win to make it 4 in a row. 49-21 overall playing .700 baseball. This has a 1998 feel to it when the Yankees went 114-48 and won the World Series. This has been a fun season to watch.