2024 New York Yankees...........start season with 4 game sweep of Houston

BADOLBILZ

12 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

This is a Yankees thread, a lot of us like other teams

... Someone should have started a MLB thread

fair enough anyone can start a thread. But so far no one has  for MLB. And if they did I wonder how many posts it would get. Maybe you should have at it and see.  *shrugs* or not.  Baseball is not my cup of tea that much really. To me it boring. JMO

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

?

Thought you were inferring I was try to fool you.

14 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

This is a Yankees thread, a lot of us like other teams

... Someone should have started a MLB thread

It’s Yankees in title, but given the snail pace of this thread, doesn’t seem like it creates much Yankee buzz. There’s definitely plenty of room to bring other teams into the conversation. The more teams brought up the better this thread would be. The Orioles are one of the better stories in baseball.

May be blasphemous to say in this thread, but, I watch the Dodgers more than the Yankees.

2 minutes ago, US Egg said:

It’s Yankees in title, but given the snail pace of this thread, doesn’t seem like it creates much Yankee buzz. There’s definitely plenty of room to bring other teams into the conversation. The more teams brought up the better this thread would be. The Orioles are one of the better stories in baseball.

May be blasphemous to say in this thread, but, I watch the Dodgers more than the Yankees.

OP should change the subject to yanks and MLB.  crazy 9th inning in Baltimore for O's vs Yanks

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

OP should change the subject to yanks and MLB.  crazy 9th inning in Baltimore for O's vs Yanks

I would welcome that. As far as the game, the plunkathon continued, too bad we got to wait until last week of season for Part lll. 

Judge again, he felt it….maybe if he weren’t so big? 🫠

11 hours ago, US Egg said:

Not you.  I simply don’t believe whoever you cited.  All fans look at some things through rose colored glasses at times. If I were a Yankee fan I’d probably be agreeing with you.

I’m neither a Yankee or Oriole fan.  To my eyes, based on what I’ve seen in Holmes pitch data and given the fact that the Yankees have been targeting the O’s up and in all year, I think he was 1000000000% trying to hit him and wouldn’t even completely rule out head hunting which I find hard to stomach in 2024.   That pitch squared him up dead on the noggin.  Holmes didn’t even look phased…..just gave a matter of fact type reaction.  Look at how batters react when they hit the pitcher in the head with a line drive.  It’s instinctive because they didn’t know it was coming.  Holmes?  He didn’t seem phased in the least. Easily could have ended Kjerstad’s career and Holmes gives it a “meh”?

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

If the O’s and Yanks keep playing like they played in the 9th yesterday, I’d like to be the first to congratulate the 2024 AL East Champion Boston Red Sox.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yanks nice 6-1 win tonight courtesy of an excellent Cole start and Soto's 9th career 4 hit game.   Anthony Volpe bases clearing double helped overcome another bad Aaron Buffoone lineup card.   Verdugo 4th and Tortoise 5th almost allowed the Rays to just pitch around Judge all night.    Wells needs to be batting 4th if Uncle Ben is leading off.   Another day,  another game where DP Le Pew makes more outs than he has at bats.:doh:

Yankees should bring Jack Neely up and give him some innings before the trade deadline.    If they can get ageless wonder David Robertson from the Rangers for cheap to supplant Clay Holmes I am ok with that kind of deal but these deals for high variance relievers like Lou Trevino and Scott Effross haven't panned out.   NEED strikeouts.   And they can't afford a beast like Mason Miller from Oakland.   They might have a decent 1 inning high strikeout % option with some closer potential in the future in Neely.   6'8 24 year old with a nasty slider and 14 strikeouts per nine the last 2 seasons.  Dude misses bats.   Been good in Triple A since his promotion from Somerset as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is a good review of the Yankees choices in the MLB draft a few days ago.   Also some talk about some of the rising Yankees prospects from the lower minors and the Dominican Summer League.   

Their first round pick wasn't until #26 and they selected Alabama right hander Ben Hess........who looks like a young Lance Lynn and, come to find out,  models his game after Lance Lynn.

The Yankees basically selected mostly right handed college pitchers in the 20 round draft.    It's what they are best at developing and those players have been very useful in making trades.   I don't expect any of the pitchers to make their pro debut this summer,  they will go to the training facility in Tampa to have their games modified and get in the physical condition the Yankees want them to be.   Some of the few position players they selected might play in A ball at Tampa or Somerset in the coming weeks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is it possible the Tigers trade Skubal?  Personally I think that would be a mistake because guys like him don’t grow on trees.  The receiving team’s odds would go way up but they’d have to part with an absolute ton.  Realistically the Tigers building blocks are decent and underrated but get multiple high end prices back might get considered.  

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is it possible the Tigers trade Skubal?  Personally I think that would be a mistake because guys like him don’t grow on trees.  The receiving team’s odds would go way up but they’d have to part with an absolute ton.  Realistically the Tigers building blocks are decent and underrated but get multiple high end prices back might get considered.  

Skubal and Crochet salaries and RFA’s, I believe, make them even more appealing and no problem for cash strapped teams. 

Their will be plenty of suitors, Tigers and White Sox can name their price. That they don’t move would be a bigger surprise.

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Orioles need to make a move like this.  They have an embarrassment of prospect riches, almost too much.  They need to consolidate some of that talent into another top line impact arm.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Orioles need to make a move like this.  They have an embarrassment of prospect riches, almost too much.  They need to consolidate some of that talent into another top line impact arm.

Tiger scouts were in Norfolk over the weekend to look over Holliday, Mayo, Norby, Stowers.  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Tiger scouts were in Norfolk over the weekend to look over Holliday, Mayo, Norby, Stowers.  

Pack up the car and head to Bowie because there is another one there who night be atop the wish list.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, US Egg said:

Skubal and Crochet salaries and RFA’s, I believe, make them even more appealing and no problem for cash strapped teams. 

Their will be plenty of suitors, Tigers and White Sox can name their price. That they don’t move would be a bigger surprise.

I see Crochet as someone the Sox should move because the are just so bad, but……he is dicey as a pickup because of his innings versus his history.  He has appeal beyond this year due to his contract status but if he runs out of gas this year he defeats part of the purpose of getting him.  If I’m Bal/NYY/LAD and I pick him up, I rest him for a while, build him back up in September an use him in the playoffs.

Skubal OTOH is a monster.  IMO he will cost way more.  I don’t think Detroit is as bad as most think.  I’m not sure I’d trade him.  They have pieces and could contend soon in that division.  They can get some additional pieces and likely will by trading Flaherty.  As much as Baltimore has to offer there isn’t really a lot of pitching there. To me, if Skubal goes it is not NYY or Bal.  Maybe the Dodgers.  The dark horses for me are the Padres who could package in Lesko or Snelling or the Phillies utilizing Painter.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I think Basallo is untouchable at this point. 

I think Holliday is almost certainly untouchable and that under any circumstance not including “but we already have Rutchsman”, Basallo would be too.  Maybe he moves to first and Mountcastle is part of a deal in the off-season?   Mayo or Westburg has to be part of any Skubal deal.  Add in Bradfield.  I think Kjerstad or probably Cowser gets added to that and Povich rounds it out.  A top 5 MLB pitcher on a controllable contract won’t be cheap.