2024 New York Yankees...........start season with 4 game sweep of Houston

BADOLBILZ

The starting pitching has been the biggest culprit but it should iron itself out.

The rest of the solutions to the Yankees problems are in the minor leagues.

They just don't bring the players up unless it's a last resort(like the Rizzo injury).   Ben Rice should have been up last July.

Stanton goes on the IL and instead of bringing up Agustin Ramirez(and his 20 HR and 21% K rate) they install Trent Grisham full time in CF instead.  

I've mentioned the triple A arms that should be in the bullpen.   Will Warren had the highest "stuff plus" in all of the minors last year and they are trying to give him innings instead of using that nasty arsenal in the MLB bullpen.  Maybe he's not meant for starting pitching success like King or Schmidt.   His ERA is over 6 as a starter.   Just like Delin Betances(6.44) as a starter at Triple A in 2012.   The made him a reliever and he was the best reliever in MLB in 2014 and 2015 pitching to a sub 1.50 ERA over 144 appearances.

They just don't ever seem to learn from their own successes.   

The Yankees are the worst base running team in MLB at -13 runs and that is almost twice as bad as the 31st team(Angels).   They haven't stolen a base in 21 games.    Meanwhile,  their minor league teams have lead the minors in stolen bases the last two years. :doh:  Surround Judge and Soto with the kids and play a more aggressive style.   

It comes down to economics........Hal and Cashman refuse to cut losses until it's clear that that player is among the worst in MLB with absolutely no chance of recovery.   See Hicks and Donaldson(both now out of baseball).

DP Le Pew is arguably the worst player in MLB right now.   No slug, impossibly slow and terrible on the bases and has even become a negative defensive runs guy.   He's 35, cut bait.  Bring up Jorbit Vivas or Ben Cowles and let Cabrera keep developing.  If they get traded........they are going right to the major leagues.   They are as ready as they are going to get.

You either serve the youth or you get punished for not doing so.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, US Egg said:

Mets 1 1/2 out of a wild card. Yankees looking like they’ll be vying for one.

Who’d of thought that a month ago?

Bolded is a fair question but unbolded an unfair comparison. Yanks are sitting at .591 +3.5 for the first AL WC spot, Mets are at .500 -1.5 from the last NL WC spot.

I'm a Mets fan and what I see is a .500 team playing in a league where that currently keeps them in contention - the same record puts them 5 games out of the last WC spot in the AL.

Yanks will make the playoffs (a -effin-gain...no mean feat) but aren't the juggernaut they were a month ago. 

I'll look forward to seeing how things play out the next month. Between hot/cold players, trades, call-ups and injuries it's likely to change for both teams. For the record I'm not overly optimistic about the Mutts. I think the Cranks will improve but not look like WS contenders. Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'll look forward to seeing how things play out the next month. Between hot/cold players, trades, call-ups and injuries it's likely to change for both teams. For the record I'm not overly optimistic about the Mutts. I think the Cranks will improve but not look like WS contenders. Time will tell

I thought Mets starters been looking good of late. Hitting too, except McNeil. They’re making it a bit interesting for now. 

…..Mutts and Cranks 😄

7 minutes ago, US Egg said:

I thought Mets starters been looking good of late. Hitting too, except McNeil. They’re making it a bit interesting for now. 

…..Mutts and Cranks 😄

Yeah that's what I was driving at...of late the Mets have been pretty good, while the Yanks have been pretty bad, but water seeks it's level and my sense is that in the end this Mets team will continue to hover around .500 (which may be good enough to contend for a WC) and the Yanks will  break out of their funk and ease into a WC spot. 

Surprised there are no comments from our resident Crankee fans following a big win that ended with a beaning. Like Scooter Rizzuto I have to mark this down on the score card as WW - wasn't watching. Interested to hear whether Cranks or O's fans think there was intent behind the pitch.   

It is a bit surprising to me that baseball doesn't get more discussion in OTW. There are a few staunch baseball guys who chat baseball in the Shout box.  But this board clearly leans waaaay harder into football. But still *shrugs*

I will follow MLB playoffs but the season is long and I only claim Padres because I live here. Not because of the sport. They spend enough to be in contention don't they?  as if money could guarantee a championship. 🙂

21 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Surprised there are no comments from our resident Crankee fans following a big win that ended with a beaning. Like Scooter Rizzuto I have to mark this down on the score card as WW - wasn't watching. Interested to hear whether Cranks or O's fans think there was intent behind the pitch.   

100% intent.  Holmes hadn’t thrown that particular pitch up and in to a leftie in two years.  He drilled him right in the head.  It’s one thing to have a little payback for a perceived issue earlier in the season.  What happened last night was not that.  It could have ended that kid’s career or worse.  Boone then had the nerve to say “I hope he’s ok”.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/13/2024 at 1:31 AM, SinceThe70s said:

WW, saw the replay. Did not think it was intentional, but, that they played plunkathon last series I get the Orioles sentiment.

Now, as for those uniforms the Orioles were wearing Friday…..

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, US Egg said:

WW, saw the replay. Did not think it was intentional, but, that they played plunkathon last series I get the Orioles sentiment.

Now, as for those uniforms the Orioles were wearing Friday…..

LOL at not  intentional.  Heard a guy analyzing on MLB radio that looked at Holmes pitch selections over the last two years.  Until Friday he had thrown that pitch up and in to a lefty exactly zero times.  Zero.  Then he drills a top prospect rookie in the head.  Yeah that checks all the “ unintentional’ boxes.  Right.  

Can I buy he meant to hit him in the shoulder/back/side?  Maybe.  He one trillion percent intentionally hit him.  Reckless.  A slight slip of the helmet and about an inch away and Kjerstad could legitimately have been killed.

54 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

LOL at not  intentional.  Heard a guy analyzing on MLB radio that looked at Holmes pitch selections over the last two years.  Until Friday he had thrown that pitch up and in to a lefty exactly zero times.  Zero.  Then he drills a top prospect rookie in the head.  Yeah that checks all the “ unintentional’ boxes.  Right.  

Can I buy he meant to hit him in the shoulder/back/side?  Maybe.  He one trillion percent intentionally hit him.  Reckless.  A slight slip of the helmet and about an inch away and Kjerstad could legitimately have been killed.

Glad you got a laugh. That said, Yankees stunk of late, needed a win, close game, 0-2 count, raining, I heard a guy too, he didn’t think so…..

4 hours ago, US Egg said:

Glad you got a laugh. That said, Yankees stunk of late, needed a win, close game, 0-2 count, raining, I heard a guy too, he didn’t think so…..

I saw some clown that said it slipped because….rain.  Slipped but still 97 mph…..gotcha.  I’m glad Kjerstad gets to continue his career.  The Yanks have hit O’s batters something like 10 times this year, mostly up and in.  Can’t beat ‘em, try to hurt ‘em.

41 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I saw some clown that said it slipped because….rain.  Slipped but still 97 mph…..gotcha.  I’m glad Kjerstad gets to continue his career.  The Yanks have hit O’s batters something like 10 times this year, mostly up and in.  Can’t beat ‘em, try to hurt ‘em.

Yeah, you got me. Nobody gonna mistake you for a fool.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:39 AM, muppy said:

It is a bit surprising to me that baseball doesn't get more discussion in OTW. There are a few staunch baseball guys who chat baseball in the Shout box.  But this board clearly leans waaaay harder into football. But still *shrugs*

I will follow MLB playoffs but the season is long and I only claim Padres because I live here. Not because of the sport. They spend enough to be in contention don't they?  as if money could guarantee a championship. 🙂

This is a Yankees thread, a lot of us like other teams

... Someone should have started a MLB thread