2024 New York Yankees..........on to the World Series for 41st time

BADOLBILZ

9 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

The only hope is for the Mets to win. The Dodgers and Yankees are the two baseball teams I dislike the most.

I like the Mets, but as a Yankees fan, I'd rather see them play the Dodgers.  Mets have the better pitching...and if they get to the WS, they may be a team of destiny.

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Let's Go Yankees. Time to get #28. 

By a considerable margin the worst Yankees team to ever reach a WS.  

For long stretches looked like nobody beside Judge/Soto could hit a lick,  have been just awful against any kind of LHP all season,  were barely above .500 at home, had a shaky defense, worst base running team in MLB, most blow saves in team history,  manager who seemed to instinctively push the wrong buttons on a regular basis, ace who missed a bunch of the season and hasn't been extraordinary etc..  

But they got wise last offseason and loaded up on left handed hitting........a proven formula for postseason success........and then the feeble AL Central ended up being their AL playoff competition and now they face a wildly inconsistent Dodgers team that doesn't have much LHP.    

The myriad of players who played way below expectations in the long regular season(Holmes, Junkarlo, Volpe, Verdugo, Rizzo etc..) are thriving with the subsequently reduced expectations and now they get to be the underdog playing in the WS against the much higher spending Dodgers who have been upset over and over in the playoffs over the last decade(different than the Yankees who were generally just out-talented by better built Houston teams recently).

The stars have aligned as well as Hal/Cash/Buffoone could have ever hoped.  

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/21/2024 at 11:07 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

By a considerable margin the worst Yankees team to ever reach a WS.  

For long stretches looked like nobody beside Judge/Soto could hit a lick,  have been just awful against any kind of LHP all season,  were barely above .500 at home, had a shaky defense, worst base running team in MLB, most blow saves in team history,  manager who seemed to instinctively push the wrong buttons on a regular basis, ace who missed a bunch of the season and hasn't been extraordinary etc..  

But they got wise last offseason and loaded up on left handed hitting........a proven formula for postseason success........and then the feeble AL Central ended up being their AL playoff competition and now they face a wildly inconsistent Dodgers team that doesn't have much LHP.    

The myriad of players who played way below expectations in the long regular season(Holmes, Junkarlo, Volpe, Verdugo, Rizzo etc..) are thriving with the subsequently reduced expectations and now they get to be the underdog playing in the WS against the much higher spending Dodgers who have been upset over and over in the playoffs over the last decade(different than the Yankees who were generally just out-talented by better built Houston teams recently).

The stars have aligned as well as Hal/Cash/Buffoone could have ever hoped.  

Worse than the 2000 Yankees, a team that lost 15 of their last 18 games (mostly in humiliating, blowout fashion - 8 losses by 8+ runs and 2 by 4 runs) and ended up going 87-74 with an 85-76 Pythagorean record? They almost blew the division that year despite a huge lead in early September.  Even Rivera had a down year (for him) -- 2.85 ERA that season. 

6 minutes ago, Saxum said:

Should NY Yankees get a grandfather clause and automatically get a platinum trophy since they can outspend everyone else?

Yankees came in 3rd in payroll

Payroll.

1. Mets - 350,274,656

2. Dodgers - 339,826,800

3. Yankees - 314,687,091

Luxury Tax paid

1. Mets - 100,002,122

2. Dodgers - 88,509,568

3. Yankees - 60,855,800

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Worse than the 2000 Yankees, a team that lost 15 of their last 18 games (mostly in humiliating, blowout fashion - 8 losses by 8+ runs and 2 by 4 runs) and ended up going 87-74 with an 85-76 Pythagorean record? They almost blew the division that year despite a huge lead in early September.  Even Rivera had a down year (for him) -- 2.85 ERA that season. 

Yes, definitely.    On many levels.   But just the fact that you countered my all-time team record for blown saves(thanks Clay Holmes) with Mariano Rivera had a "down year" says it all.   And there was no question whatsoever about whether that personnel could win a WS because they had just won 3 of the last 4.   It's not like these 2024 Yankees coasted to the finish like the 2000 team.......they were tryin' and dyin' for most of the last 4 months of the season.  

1 hour ago, Saxum said:

Should NY Yankees get a grandfather clause and automatically get a platinum trophy since they can outspend everyone else?

Yeah, you don't really follow MLB if you think the Yankees have outspent everyone else anytime recently.   I'm not happy about their thriftiness because the Yankees SHOULD be the highest spending team every year.   Because they have the highest revenues and because when you win for 30+ years straight you don't get to tank and rebuild with very high draft choices for many years like the Cubs/Astros/Orioles have taken turns doing in the last 15 year stretch.   If you don't want to tank you should be prepared to keep raising payroll.   But it's been 5 years since the Yankees had the highest payroll.   The Mets and Dodgers have been the highest payroll teams nowadays.

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes, definitely.    On many levels.   But just the fact that you countered my all-time team record for blown saves(thanks Clay Holmes) with Mariano Rivera had a "down year" says it all.   And there was no question whatsoever about whether that personnel could win a WS because they had just won 3 of the last 4.   It's not like these 2024 Yankees coasted to the finish like the 2000 team.......they were tryin' and dyin' for most of the last 4 months of the season.  

I wasn't countering anything - just saying that Rivera had a down year (for him). Why even introduce that given that I was clearly not making a comp? Should I bring up David Cone's 4-14 record and 6.91 ERA on 155 innings? Also, it was the worst winning percentage EVER - and by a lot - for Yankees WS team in a non-strike season. And it was an even worse winning percentage than the 59-48 strike season team. Lots of teams have down years in historic runs. They don't get mulligans because the team was better the year before and the year after. Yeah, I get that they were definitely worse in the second half of the season, but they still had not only the best record in the AL but tied the Dodgers for the best Pythagorean record in baseball (96-66). So I guess I don't quite get the argument outside of frustration-based recency bias that comes with watching a reprise of the 2022 regular season stretch run?  

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I wasn't countering anything - just saying that Rivera had a down year (for him). Why even introduce that given that I was clearly not making a comp? Should I bring up David Cone's 4-14 record and 6.91 ERA on 155 innings? Also, it was the worst winning percentage EVER - and by a lot - for Yankees WS team in a non-strike season. And it was an even worse winning percentage than the 59-48 strike season team. Lots of teams have down years in historic runs. They don't get mulligans because the team was better the year before and the year after. Yeah, I get that they were definitely worse in the second half of the season, but they still had not only the best record in the AL but tied the Dodgers for the best Pythagorean record in baseball (96-66). So I guess I don't quite get the argument outside of frustration-based recency bias that comes with watching a reprise of the 2022 regular season stretch run?  

Pythagorean record is basically a run differential stat.  And the 2000 Yankees had a terrible run differential down the stretch.  Like -50 in the last week alone.😂

But the 2000 team was running away with the division before they mailed in the last 18 games.   When they won their 80th game they had a 7 game lead in the AL East.  They had a better record and a better run differential(135 v 118) thru 80 wins despite having played less games.   When the 2024 Yankees won their 80th game......they were in second place.   They had to play to win until the very last weekend of the season.

2000 had a better lineup and bench, defense, base running, coaching(obviously) and their pitching was a lot better than some of the ERA's indicated.   Their season splits weren't nearly as crazy as this 2024 team that couldn't beat LHP and struggled in-division.  

Like I said........the playoffs have literally fallen in a manner where their weaknesses haven't been able to be exposed.  They obliterated the AL Central.  At one point they were 15-1 against them and then that's all they saw in the AL playoffs.   And the Dodgers basically have one LHP on their staff.  😂

The thing those 2 teams have most in common was that it was a down year for baseball.   No 100 win teams.   The 2024 Yankees were exceptionally flawed but Judge and Soto carried them to October and(as sometimes happens in October) they've taken advantage of the luck of the draw.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ