So Spencer Brown what say you?

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was always about preaching patience with him and felt he showed enough promise to see what he could do once healthy again.  And I feel like he did that last year and I would like to see him stay, although I would feel more comfortable seeing him put up another healthy and good season first to be safe.

I understand patience but Allen took many hits he didn’t need to take in 2022.

4 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I understand patience but Allen took many hits he didn’t need to take in 2022.

Correct me if I am wrong, wasn’t Allen the least sacked QB last year?  I think that is what the host said to Dawkins in a recent interview, but could be mistaken.  

But like I said, I prefer to see Brown another season and also stay healthy again too.  But at the same time I wouldn’t have an issue locking him up either as I feel like he showed enough last year to be confident in him being a starter.   

• Like (+1) 1

These are the things Brandon Beane thinks about. One could argue that the O-line is as important as the WR corps. If people are disappointed with how Beane has built the WR room, he has at least built a deep O-line.

Spencer Brown has also been a great teammate, and that goes back to his time at N. Iowa. But, he has been hampered throughout his career (including college) with injuries. That will likely drive his value down a little bit, and hopefully we can afford him. I suspect he would love to stay in Buffalo-- that's the kind of teammate he is.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, wasn’t Allen the least sacked QB last year?  I think that is what the host said to Dawkins in a recent interview, but could be mistaken.  

But like I said, I prefer to see Brown another season and also stay healthy again too.  But at the same time I wouldn’t have an issue locking him up either as I feel like he showed enough last year to be confident in him being a starter.   

I understand wanting to see it for another year, but it’s a gamble. I hope they lock him up sooner rather than later for a deal that will look like a steal if he continues on his upward trajectory. I understand there’s risk with either option, I’m leaning towards him being great when looking at his career up to this point.

16 minutes ago, julian said:

I understand wanting to see it for another year, but it’s a gamble. I hope they lock him up sooner rather than later for a deal that will look like a steal if he continues on his upward trajectory. I understand there’s risk with either option, I’m leaning towards him being great when looking at his career up to this point.

I don’t disagree with this, even if in an ideal world we would see him put back to back seasons together first.  But locking him up before the price gets too high is definitely a smart play as well.  

• Agree 2

On 2/13/2024 at 2:03 PM, Shaw66 said:

No, you aren't wrong.   It's because of the complexity of the systems McDermott wants to run. 

Most rookies contribute very little their rookie season.  The best of them show great improvement in year two - Bernard and Cook.  For many others, it's year three - Brown.

Are we saying that McDermotts system is too complicated and not worth a damm in the playoffs ?

But he's a good clapper

GIF by GMFB

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Are we saying that McDermotts system is too complicated and not worth a damm in the playoffs ?

But he's a good clapper

GIF by GMFB

It's not too complicated, but I've said often, and I think others agree, that there is a problem with his system in the playoffs.   His approach to developing a football team is to have guys who can do everything.  In the case of offensive linemen, it's pass protect, power run block, and block the edges and downfield.   Receivers, too, and running backs.  And defenders - DBs who play the run tough, Dlinemen who can stop the run AND rush the passer.   So it takes a while for players to be able to play that way. 

The problem with that approach, I think, is that you don't have players who are really, really good at one thing.  You don't have a Chris Jones, for example.  You don't have a Tyreek Hill.   Instead, you have guys who are pretty good at everything, and when then have to play against the studs in the playoffs, they don't match up well.   

Belichick made it work that way - a bunch of no names who did their jobs.  We're waiting for McDermott to show he can win that way. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's not too complicated, but I've said often, and I think others agree, that there is a problem with his system in the playoffs.   His approach to developing a football team is to have guys who can do everything.  In the case of offensive linemen, it's pass protect, power run block, and block the edges and downfield.   Receivers, too, and running backs.  And defenders - DBs who play the run tough, Dlinemen who can stop the run AND rush the passer.   So it takes a while for players to be able to play that way. 

The problem with that approach, I think, is that you don't have players who are really, really good at one thing.  You don't have a Chris Jones, for example.  You don't have a Tyreek Hill.   Instead, you have guys who are pretty good at everything, and when then have to play against the studs in the playoffs, they don't match up well.   

Belichick made it work that way - a bunch of no names who did their jobs.  We're waiting for McDermott to show he can win that way. 

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Brown is always going to have back issues / problems.

not his fault, he’s just too tall.

he can’t get low enough, and his torso is always being forced backward.

a recipe for a lifetime of back problems.

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

These are the things Brandon Beane thinks about. One could argue that the O-line is as important as the WR corps.

I'll say the OL is more important. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Savage said:

Brown is always going to have back issues / problems.

not his fault, he’s just too tall.

he can’t get low enough, and his torso is always being forced backward.

a recipe for a lifetime of back problems.

I hope he does not end up like Andre the Giant.

I have been a Spencer Brown defender..........anyone can ask @Simon if they think otherwise ..........he's a tone setter and easy to root for and I think he could be a good one for a long time.

But I don't want to pay him market value.

I hope they can develop an adequate replacement over the course of the next 12 months.    You don't need much at RT to win so paying big money for a RT is not a great idea.   Especially if this ends up being a heavy 12 personnel team and he's covered up 40% of the time.   The big money is for edge/island positions.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:30 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I have been a Spencer Brown defender..........anyone can ask @Simon if they think otherwise ..........he's a tone setter and easy to root for and I think he could be a good one for a long time.

But I don't want to pay him market value.

I hope they can develop an adequate replacement over the course of the next 12 months.    You don't need much at RT to win so paying big money for a RT is not a great idea.   Especially if this ends up being a heavy 12 personnel team and he's covered up 40% of the time.   The big money is for edge/island positions.

Definitely agree, which is why I'm hoping for a modest but not market setting extension very soon. Because if he puts up a full injury free season, he's definitely out of our price range with no replacement currently in the pipeline. A true checks and balances situation for sure.