NY Mets 2024 Season

Another Fan

Two brutal losses, both at the hands of Diaz, ugh. I'm happy to report that I missed last nights meltdown. I was exhausted and figured it was a loss down 3-0 and getting dominated by the Dbags starter.

We were this close to going into todays game with the chance of a 8-2 road trip. This isn't the time of year for moral victories and even if we get to 6-4 it's a lost opportunity.  I'm getting tired of thinking 'there's still time left'. The sands of time for me  the Mets 2024 season are running low.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think most Mets fans feel the same. 

I was pissed last night. If we can’t count on Diaz to close out big/must-win games, then he’s worthless. Period. 

And, of course, he rebounds today to nail down the save. Because baseball...

BTW, I've said it here before and I'll say it again...don't bring him in with traffic on the bases. He's much better coming in to a 'clean' inning. Oh, and the damn Phillies FINALLY helped out by beating Atlanta.

• Agree 1

@ExWNYer @Gugny @SinceThe70s

Happy Labor Day guys

Well I ate some crow above.  I saw a team that can battle the 1962 Mets record for losses and I thought yeah tailor made the White Sox will take 2 out of 3.  lol

Silver linings: It's September and the team is going to be playing meaningful baseball.  Better than what I expected early in the season.  

• Like (+1) 2

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Mets on a 9 game heater. Looking back on my last post "This isn't the time of year for moral victories" - what a difference a week+ makes. A few thoughts:

- Vientos has become what I wanted (and still fadingly hope) Alvarez will become. The road he took to get where he is makes no sense to me. His glove is still suspect so I can't lock him into 3B.

- it's been fun watching the starting pitching 'over-achieve'. More enjoyable than waiting for a $40 mill savior to get healthy

- just saw that Diaz is 16/22 in save situations. Brutal, but I don't expect a change until after the 25 season. His upside is seductive.

- McNeil out indefintely. Disappointing, I love what OMG-guy has done, just concerned if we have to rely on him at the plate 

• Like (+1) 2

@SinceThe70s @Gugny @Another Fan

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets on a 9 game heater. Looking back on my last post "This isn't the time of year for moral victories" - what a difference a week+ makes. A few thoughts:

So much fun and now it's a sprint to the finish. There is still the possibility of getting the top WC which seemed implausible at the start of this 9-game joyride. They still have 7 left against Philly and 3 against Atlanta. That's a potential death knell but it also puts the division in play, as unlikely as that seems. Maybe Bryce & Co can repay the favor of that 7 game choke job with 17 to play debacle. YA GOTTA BELIEVE!

- Vientos has become what I wanted (and still fadingly hope) Alvarez will become. The road he took to get where he is makes no sense to me. His glove is still suspect so I can't lock him into 3B.

Vientos has become the homegrown offensive weapon we had all hoped he would become. It's hard to believe that he was actually at Syracuse earlier this season. He's not a defensive wiz by any means but his glove is adequate. I have a feeling that he will be the Mets 1B next season if Alonso and Boras overplay their hand and price themselves out of Queens.

I have complete faith in Alvarez becoming a superstar. The kid just has that "it" factor and already handles the pitching staff like someone ten years his senior. He's got a fire in his belly, always has a smile on his face, and he plays with a joy and passion that's fun to watch. I am certainly pulling for him. Heck, look how fast he learned English. He's obviously smart. The bat will come around in time, he's still a baby.

- it's been fun watching the starting pitching 'over-achieve'. More enjoyable than waiting for a $40 mill savior to get healthy

They have been lights out for the most part and the bullpen has done a great job lately, as well. The only starter who still makes me nervous going into a game is Quintana and even he had a great game on Saturday. Manaea had a rare off day Friday but still managed to get a no decision. He's been pitching like an ace and Severino has been more good than bad. I have always been a big fan of David Peterson's potential and I'm glad to see it finally all come together for him. A lefty who is pitching like he has been is an invaluable asset. Agreed on the $40M point. Nobody was happier to see Verlander and especially Scherzer shipped out for some much needed high-level prospects than I was. I would have driven them both to the airport myself, had Cohen let me. They underachieved mightily (as is the Met free agent way) when they even bothered to be healthy enough to be on the field. I still hold it against Scherzer for sh*tting the bed down the stretch against Atlanta in 2022 and costing the Mets the division title.

- just saw that Diaz is 16/22 in save situations. Brutal, but I don't expect a change until after the 25 season. His upside is seductive.

I have been "done" with Diaz several times this year. lol I still think about those blown saves that cost them games against the Priests and the D-bags and will wonder "what if" should they fall a game or two short of making the playoffs. <sigh> He currently looks more like the 2022 version of Diaz so fingers crossed that it stays that way the remainder of the year. Maybe it's taken him longer to shake off the rust from that injury than any of us thought it would.

- McNeil out indefintely. Disappointing, I love what OMG-guy has done, just concerned if we have to rely on him at the plate 

McNeil has been playing his best ball here, too, so losing him is disappointing. I'm not too worried about Iglesias though. He has been a spark plug all year and has hit decently. He's also fast and a plus defender, better at 2nd than McNeil. Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery and also a few quality innings from Senga out of the pen for the final few games. LGM and LET'S GO BILLS!!!

(Bolded your statements and commented on each...you may have to expand to read them all)

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

@SinceThe70s @Gugny @Another Fan

(Bolded your statements and commented on each...you may have to expand to read them all)

I've been wondering the same about Vientos and first base. Also love that you're not putting the division out of reach. I've been keeping an eye on the Phillies but that still feels like a reach. Mets final 10 games are either an opportunity or a gauntlet depending on how you look at the glass of water.

• Thank you (+1) 1